News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Top of the ninth!

Started by franklin train, October 18, 2005, 09:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

franklin train

The top of the ninth inning, down two runs, runners on first and second, two outs, and Albert Pujols comes to the plate.... The count is 0-1 and Brad Lidge the Astro pitcher feeds him a beach ball. THREE RUN HOMER...and the Cards go on to win!!! wow    :o

Guy_on_Clinton

Dude....

30% of Chicago is rooting for the Sox.... the other 70% will be rooting for the Astros....

GO CUBS 2006
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

scoon

Dude...

It's always cooler to be alternative... keep your 70%...  misery loves company.

GO SOX 2005

franklin train

DUDE!!!

Game six tonight.... who will it be?

scoon

I'm putting my money on the Cardinals...  just a gut feeling.  I have no theory or split stats to point to.

franklin train

Im hoping the Cards win tonight! Just because.... more baseball and also things will get very, very interesting for game seven! 

shrugger

Quote from: Guy_on_Clinton on October 18, 2005, 09:53:30 AM
30% of Chicago is rooting for the Sox.... the other 70% will be rooting for the Astros....

since moving to Chicago I've wondered about this.... the conventional wisdom -- especially as told by the national media -- seems to be that Chicago is heavily a Cubs town, somewhere around a 75/25 or 80/20 split.

while the Chubs certainly:
a) attract a higher-profile, more upwardly mobile fan base,
b) have a historic and consistently packed field that is a Midwestern tourist destination, and
c) benefit from the backing of a major media conglomerate

... it seems to me that, at least in the Chicago metro area, the split is much closer. especially if just looking at the natives among us.
we must cultivate our garden

Bear

During the series, hapless Chub fans will
look skyward and be made aware of of Who
hangs with the only REAL baseball team in town
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

T-Stan RPCV

Quote from: Bear on October 19, 2005, 03:57:00 PM
During the series, hapless Chub fans will
look skyward and be made aware of of Who
hangs with the only REAL baseball team in town

Icarus?   ;D

Paul Fuentes

God has spoken:

For those of you who would prefer to protest the pledge of allegiance (because it mentions God, you commie pinkos) go suck up suds at in Wrigleyville and drown in the foam. 

There is a God and there is a World Series team in this town.  And its home is not on the north side you jobbers.

Insuffrable Prick,

Wilma

scoon

Quote from: scoon on October 19, 2005, 10:53:10 AM

I'm putting my money on the Cardinals...  just a gut feeling.  I have no theory or split stats to point to.

So I was wrong... Bring On the astos.....  George Jetson's dog....  did you notice how they had less energy when they won the game?  The game that sent them to the World Series?

Go Sox!

Ted

Quote from: shrugger on October 19, 2005, 03:14:24 PM

since moving to Chicago I've wondered about this.... the conventional wisdom -- especially as told by the national media -- seems to be that Chicago is heavily a Cubs town, somewhere around a 75/25 or 80/20 split.

while the Chubs certainly:
a) attract a higher-profile, more upwardly mobile fan base,
b) have a historic and consistently packed field that is a Midwestern tourist destination, and
c) benefit from the backing of a major media conglomerate

... it seems to me that, at least in the Chicago metro area, the split is much closer. especially if just looking at the natives among us.

Shrugger,

When I was growing up in the 50s and 60s, the Sox were more popular than the Cubs. Between 1951 to 1967, the Sox outdrew the Cubs in attendance every year and also had higher ratings on their TV games than the Cubs (both Sox and Cubs were on WGN at the time).  In fact, when the Sox won the pennant in 1959, the Cubs were just considered another team in town like the Sox. Nothing special.

Then things started changing in 1969 because of several reasons:

1) Sox went off WGN to WFLD, which at the time was in only about 1/3 of the TV sets in Chicago - as the old saying goes: Out of sight, out of mind.

2) Cubs blew the pennant to the Mets in 1969, thus starting the idea of the Cubs being lovable losers

3) New stadiums were built in St. Louis, New York, Cinncinati, Pittsbugh, Philadelphia and Houston between 1964 to 1971. The Cubs and Wrigely field became a "shrine" to people because it represented the old days of baseball

4) In the 1980s, Jerry Reinsdorf decided baseball should be on pay-per-view cable and not on "free" TV- again, out of sight, out of mind.

5) Also in the 1980s, WGN becomes a superstation because of cable TV

I have often wondered what would have happened if the Sox has decided to stay on WGN in 1969 and continue to stay on WGN in the 1980s when WGN became a superstation and the Sox games would have been seen at night during prime time (the Cub home games were during the day).  Would the Sox have become as popular as the Cubs nationwide?

And, would the Sox have lost the edge they had over the Cubs in the 1950s and 1960s?

Take care
  ted

franklin train

Well, no game seven fun... Sox vs. Astros

Guy_on_Clinton

Bear

geeshhh all these pathetic Chub fans wearing black,
trying to jump on the wannabe bandwagon...
What will I do?...They hang out in front playing "catch" Chub style

I better call my neighborhood watch commander
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

franklin train

Your band wagon has a flat...   :-*

Guy_on_Clinton

Bear

Is everyone ready for a 3rd victory? My sources
tell me there will be celebrations this evening

pkd50

Tomorrow will be the BIG party!

Bear

Why whats wrong bumke?...You look like a sleepy head this morning!

But a happy one!