News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

George O'Leary??

Started by Paul Fuentes, November 12, 2005, 11:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Fuentes

Remember this name?  The former Viking coach hired by Notre Dame, fire by Notre Dame, and now head coach at Central Florida.  Where is he now??  Well, he just took an 0-11 team to 7-3 and on the cusp of a conference championship.  It is obvious that talent speaks volume over ethics.  If you can win, you will always have a job. 

Nuff Said,

Bear Bryant

Ted

But.... Central Florida also switched leagues.  That may have something to do with the better record.

Last year, Central Florida was in the MAC (the Mid-American Conference).  This year, Central Florida is in Conference USA.  Conference USA is much weaker this year with Louisville and CInncinati leaving to go to the Big East and Texas Christian leaving to go to the Mountain West.

So, Central Florida left the MAC (which has had 5 pretty strong teams the last 3 years in Northern Illinois, Toledo, Bowling Green, Marshall and Miami of Ohio) and went to a very weak Conference USA.  That might be a part of the explanation for the better record this year.  Much easier schedule in an patty-cake conference.

In fact, when Central Florida joined the MAC a few years back, there was all this trash talk about how they (Central Florida) were going to rule the MAC and how the MAC teams were "not worthy" of a team like Central Florida.

Low and behold, Central Florida becames door mats in the MAC, including their 0-11 record last year.

So, don't give all the credit to O'Leary.  Changing conferences and going to a weaker conference is another reason for the better record.

take care
 ted

Paul Fuentes

Ted:

Sorry for the late reply, but I had forgotten about this post.  I do not really see that much of a difference in conferences, as each has some dogs.  Furthermore, Marshall is now in Conference USA.  And teams like SMU, Tulane, Memphis, and UTEP have been known to produce some Sunday afternoon talent.  Not saying O'LIEry is Hall of Fame material, but you have to give Kudos where Kudos are due.

Ebelio PAtrick McFuentes

Ted

Quote from: Paul Fuentes on November 27, 2005, 09:26:24 PM
Ted:

Sorry for the late reply, but I had forgotten about this post.  I do not really see that much of a difference in conferences, as each has some dogs.  Furthermore, Marshall is now in Conference USA.  And teams like SMU, Tulane, Memphis, and UTEP have been known to produce some Sunday afternoon talent.  Not saying O'LIEry is Hall of Fame material, but you have to give Kudos where Kudos are due.

Ebelio PAtrick McFuentes

Paul,

I pretty much agree. Central Florida has improved because of O'Leary.  Plus, by playing in Conference USA, they are now playing teams in the south, which are closer to them geographically, which means shorter plane flights, etc. In addition, they don't have to deal with cold weather in October and November any more.  Look what happened to South Florida when they had to play Connecticut in the snow on Saturday.

But, I also think the MAC has had 5 teams the last 3 years (NIU. Toledo, Bowling Green, Miami of Ohio and Marshall)  that were better than any of the teams in Conference USA today, especially in the 2003 season. One of the most telling statistics in the MAC in the years 2002 to 2004 was the record of those 5 teams against the other 9 teams in the MAC - 91 wins, 2 losses. That is an amazing statistics to me.  Just like in the 1970s the Big Ten was the Big 2 and Liitle 8, the MAC the last 3 years were the Big 5 and the Little 9.

take care
ted

Paul Fuentes

Ted:

By any chance did you watchthe Seahaws/Giants game?