News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Pauly's Back!!

Started by scoon, November 30, 2005, 04:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoon

This is starting to remind how the Bulls retooled every year around a consistent nucleus.

Ted

Be still my beating heart.   YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pkd50

dukesdad

If the Sox can get Juan Pierre to bat second and play center, they're going to be tough to beat. Kenny Williams is a stud, he knows how to build a team.
All the Cubs have done is added more seats. More room for the farmers from Iowa and the denizens of "boys town".

Guy_on_Clinton

cant get Cubs out of you head.......  funny.

GO CUBS 2006!
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

Bear

Konerko just resigned with the Sox...Here is an inside deal for all you limp wristed, drunken chub fans...When we were living in St Paul MN my sister was dating John McDonough, current bad suit marketing admin for the hapless chubs, they were dating as they attended the same college together...John came to our home and asked my father for permission to marry Maureen, my father in his infinite wisdom declined and said he would not give his blessing...Said marriage never occured...

My father was and is to this day a very wise man
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

P-PANTHER a/k/a La Pantera

Quote from: Bear on November 30, 2005, 09:52:02 PM
Konerko just resigned with the Sox...Here is an inside deal for all you limp wristed, drunken chub fans...When we were living in St Paul MN my sister was dating John McDonough, current bad suit marketing admin for the hapless chubs, they were dating as they attended the same college together...John came to our home and asked my father for permission to marry Maureen, my father in his infinite wisdom declined and said he would not give his blessing...Said marriage never occured...

My father was and is to this day a very wise man

Ah, Mr. Wiseass, McDonough grew up a Bridgeport Black Sox fan (although he still has a full set of teeth and isn't married to his sister) :D :D. Do some research before you spew your nonsense.
"I am interested in the PAST and do not really understand the obsession around here about burying it."-Crunchie.

"La Pantera..He's one of the few people on this board that CUTS THROUGH THE BSers on this board - myself included." -Ted

Guy_on_Clinton

Psychologically speaking, sox fans who insist on speaking about the Cubs in the same statement as the re-signing a their sox allstar 1st baseman with a degenarative hip, have a serious inferiority complex.

If we get Frucal ... the last thing im going to think of is those freaks in bridgeport.

Furthermore... who won the world series anyways....  i didnt watch.... suckas!!!  ;D

scoon

Quote from: Guy_on_Clinton on November 30, 2005, 11:51:12 PM
Psychologically speaking, sox fans who insist on speaking about the Cubs in the same statement as the re-signing a their sox allstar 1st baseman with a degenarative hip, have a serious inferiority complex.

If we get Frucal ... the last thing im going to think of is those freaks in bridgeport.

Furthermore... who won the world series anyways....  i didnt watch.... suckas!!!  ;D

Professor Baseball,

With all due repsect to your vast knowledge of psychology and baseball....  The the Trib is Frugal.  The shortstop you're trying to get if Furcal. 

- Shoeless Scoon

p.s. - Some psychologists might calling trolling on threads not about your team and repeatedly bringing up inferiority complexes projecting. 

Guy_on_Clinton

go get the door pizza man.... you shouldnt throw stones.

scoon

Quote from: Guy_on_Clinton on December 01, 2005, 10:07:40 AM
go get the door pizza man.... you shouldnt throw stones.

WTF are you talking about?    Throwing stones.  You were talking shit.  You left yourself wide open to be called on your error with your arrogance.

Your thin skin betrays you.

scoon

Appaently we have control of the thread again...  since I shut the cubs fan the F up...

Torii Hunter in center?  Bill Muller at third?  (Crede... He gone.)

Kenny Williams = Jerry Krause?

Quote from: scoon on December 01, 2005, 09:49:10 AM
Quote from: Guy_on_Clinton on November 30, 2005, 11:51:12 PM

QuoteProfessor Baseball,

With all due repsect to your vast knowledge of psychology and baseball....  The the Trib is Frugal.

With a payroll nearing 9 figures???

QuoteSome psychologists might calling trolling on threads not about your team and repeatedly bringing up inferiority complexes projecting. 

Only CHICAGOANS (even Bridgeportites) can engage in such discourse. Cheeseheads should be left to debate the relative merit of cheddar!!!!!!

"I am interested in the PAST and do not really understand the obsession around here about burying it."-Crunchie.

"La Pantera..He's one of the few people on this board that CUTS THROUGH THE BSers on this board - myself included." -Ted

scoon

Kudos for paying attention P-Panther... but you can do better than debating the merits of cheddar.  That's weak.

But since you're a baseball savant as well...  ask Steinbrenner how much his 9 figure payroll has done for him in the past four years.

Quote from: scoon on December 02, 2005, 08:56:43 AM
Kudos for paying attention P-Panther... but you can do better than debating the merits of cheddar.  That's weak

Well then how about interfamilial relations???  :D ;D :D

QuoteBut since you're a baseball savant as well...  ask Steinbrenner how much his 9 figure payroll has done for him in the past four years.

I see framing the issue isn't exactly your strong suit. The proposition set forth was relating to the Tribune's frugality. My response/query was "with a nearly 9 figure payroll?" How not winning proves or disproves the size of a teams payroll is beyond me, but if thats your story, stick with it. I believe in a court of law your retort would stricken on relevance grounds. Is that true Senor Abogado (Fuentes)?????? 

BTW, I believe Steinbrenner has run out of fingers to place championship rings on. Nonetheless, he has at least one more ring than the Milwaukee Brewers, and a few more than the Bridgeport Black Sox, as well!!!!!!!

scoon

Quote from: P-PANTHER on December 02, 2005, 09:17:52 AM
Quote from: scoon on December 02, 2005, 08:56:43 AM
Kudos for paying attention P-Panther... but you can do better than debating the merits of cheddar.  That's weak

Well then how about interfamilial relations???  :D ;D :D

Yes.  Everyone in WI has sex with their relatives.  Very insightful.  But you know what?  It still made me giggle...  You can take my word on this...  I hate WI and cheeseheads more than you ever will.  My in-laws live up there... Nuff said.

QuoteBut since you're a baseball savant as well...  ask Steinbrenner how much his 9 figure payroll has done for him in the past four years.
I see framing the issue isn't exactly your strong suit. The proposition set forth was relating to the Tribune's frugality. My response/query was "with a nearly 9 figure payroll?" How not winning proves or disproves the size of a teams payroll is beyond me, but if thats your story, stick with it. I believe in a court of law your retort would stricken on relevance grounds. Is that true Senor Abogado (Fuentes)?????? 

Apparently you only play a lawyer on TV and understanding the issue is not your strong suit... so let me spell this out for you.  The Yankees have been throwing money at every big name free agent, making trades for big name players, and haven't won the World Series since 2000.  They failed to understand the concept that a dugout of all stars doesn't make a team.

Arizona, Anaheim, Florida, and to an extent Boston understood the concept of team baseball.  That is why I asked you how much Steinbrenner's 9 figure payroll has done for him.

But despite your response, (you cannot prove or disprove a payroll...  it's not an opinion or theory, etc...)  I think I see your point.  I guess I was wrong about the Trib being Frugal.  I guess they're actually inept.

BTW, I believe Steinbrenner has run out of fingers to place championship rings on. Nonetheless, he has at least one more ring than the Milwaukee Brewers, and a few more than the Bridgeport Black Sox, as well!!!!!!!

Steinbrenner has won 6 championships since he took control of the Yankees.  Even residents of Springfield have more fingers than that.

And since you brought it up.  1982 is more recent that 1945.  And unless you're over 60.  I've seen my team in the World Series.

No hard feelings?

Quote from: scoon on December 02, 2005, 10:00:24 AM
Apparently you only play a lawyer on TV and understanding the issue is not your strong suit

Amusing.........to say the least.

The issue was whether or not the Trib is frugal. You retort was about..........Steinbrenner's recent lack of success. Can someone please help me out here???

QuoteThe Yankees have been throwing money at every big name free agent, making trades for big name players, and haven't won the World Series since 2000.

The Yankees have made ONE big trade in the relevant time frame, that being for ARod. And if you remember correctly, the FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE?????? (more on that later) Red Sox almost closed the deal before the Yanks!!! But lets examine your statement further:

Bernie Williams-homegrown
Jeter-homegrown
Cano-homegrown
Posada-homegrown
Rivera-homegrown

Quite a few Yankee products, wouldn't you say??? The fact is, the Yanks make no fewer or more big name acquisitions than any of the other major market teams, at least in recent times.

Compare them to the Red Sox:

Manny Ramirez, Johnny Damon, Mike Lowell, Edgar Renteria, David Ortiz, Matt Clement, Josh Beckett, Keith Foulke, etc..............

QuoteThey failed to understand the concept that a dugout of all stars doesn't make a team.

They don't have a dugout filled with All Stars, just a handful. But their philosophy sure as hell worked in the late 90's, didn't it?????? You obviously don'y know much about the Yanks, do you? During the Yanks run in the 90's, their greatest strength was that they DIDN'T have the big name superstars, but rather solid pros throughout (many of them products of the Yankee farm system). Scott Brosius, Paul O'Neill, Tino Martinez, etc........were examples of the type of players I'm talking about.

QuoteArizona, Anaheim, Florida, and to an extent Boston understood the concept of team baseball.

Really???

Arizona-brought in BOTH Randy Johnson AND Curt Schilling their championship year, to name a few. The D-Backs were so fiscally responsible that they had to subsequently dismantle that team.

Florida- No stars?

Miguel Cabrera? Pudge Rodriguez? Juan Pierre? Luis Castillo? Derek Lee? Mike Lowell, Josh Beckett? AJ Burnett?

Or how about their PREVIOUS championship team with Kevin Brown, Moises Alou, Al Leiter, etc.........???

Another example of a team having to be dismantled for $$$$ reasons.

Anaheim-Now there's the epitome of FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY!!!!!!! :D :D :D

QuoteThat is why I asked you how much Steinbrenner's 9 figure payroll has done for him.

Won quite a few championships, that's what. Can't win every year, but he has a lot more rings than anyone else.

QuoteBut despite your response, (you cannot prove or disprove a payroll...  it's not an opinion or theory, etc...)  I think I see your point.  I guess I was wrong about the Trib being Frugal.  I guess they're actually inept.

The Cubs front office (not the Trib) may be inept, but I doubt it.

What's so inept about being 5 outs from a world series in 2003 and a winning record in 2004 (albeit dissapointing season)?
Sosa's contract hamstrung the Cubs GM to a certain degree this past year. The fact remains though, despite last years bump in the road, the Cubs were in the process of putting a consistent winner on the field.

QuoteAnd since you brought it up.  1982 is more recent that 1945.  And unless you're over 60.  I've seen my team in the World Series.

And neither has won a damn thing!! So what?????

QuoteNo hard feelings?

Of course not!! ;D ;D ;D

scoon

Quote from: P-PANTHER on December 02, 2005, 10:42:56 AM

They don't have a dugout filled with All Stars, just a handful. But their philosophy sure as hell worked in the late 90's, didn't it?????? You obviously don'y know much about the Yanks, do you? During the Yanks run in the 90's, their greatest strength was that they DIDN'T have the big name superstars, but rather solid pros throughout (many of them products of the Yankee farm system). Scott Brosius, Paul O'Neill, Tino Martinez, etc........were examples of the type of players I'm talking about.

Well, I'll say right now that I take back the not understanding comment.  I tend to assume that Cubs fans are only Wrigley fans...  mia culpa.

Anyway...

The Yanks did it right in the 90s and then started picking up Sheffield, Giambi, Johnson, ARod, and got away from what made them great.  Everyone hated the Yankees back then, but I respected them for all the homegrown talent that they had.  Truth be told I rooted for them in the World Series.  Especially against Arizona.  And now, according to some pundits, they've bankrupted their farm system.  They sold out their future for the present and hasn't worked.

With that said, you can pick up free agents and still have a team concept.  And I still submit that Arizona, Florida, Anaheim, and even Boston were teams despite their stars.  You can have good players and have them be part of a team.  I don't think talent and team are mutually exclusive.

Quote from: P-PANTHER on December 02, 2005, 10:42:56 AM
QuoteAnd since you brought it up.  1982 is more recent that 1945.  And unless you're over 60.  I've seen my team in the World Series.

And neither has won a damn thing!! So what?????

So what?  So I feel empty every time the World Series is over.  That's what.

Quote from: scoon on December 02, 2005, 11:07:31 AM
Well, I'll say right now that I take back the not understanding comment.  I tend to assume that Cubs fans are only Wrigley fans...  mia culpa.

You mean mea cupla?

Then you don't know much about Cubs fans (BTW, the MAJORITY of Chicagoans)!!!

QuoteThe Yanks did it right in the 90s and then started picking up Sheffield, Giambi, Johnson, ARod, and got away from what made them great.  Everyone hated the Yankees back then, but I respected them for all the homegrown talent that they had.  Truth be told I rooted for them in the World Series.  Especially against Arizona.  And now, according to some pundits, they've bankrupted their farm system.  They sold out their future for the present and hasn't worked.

With that said, you can pick up free agents and still have a team concept.  And I still submit that Arizona, Florida, Anaheim, and even Boston were teams despite their stars.  You can have good players and have them be part of a team.  I don't think talent and team are mutually exclusive.

The Yankees still play fundamentally sound (team???)baseball (maybe with the exception of CF). The difference is their lack of pitching.