News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Morton boys basketball

Started by Taylor St. Kid, November 07, 2007, 09:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankie

i agree, they should draw some good crowds, 1st home game is tues. the girls have a home game same nite at west, i dont know why they schedule on same nite, makes no sense

frankie

my son is a junior at west, he played at rec and knows a few of the players, not only are they good players, but they are nice kids to, ive met a couple of them

BIG UNIT

Frankie, I've heard alot of good things about that 6'8 Junior, whats the scoop on him, is he that good, whats his name again. I also heard a few division 1 schools are looking at him, I heard De Paul is real interested, same for Bradley.....

frankie

his name is luke scarlata, hes one of the kids i met, and vince manno, and joey belcaster, all 3 are juniors, i think macias and raul i dont know his last name, are all juniors, and all have been playing together since the rec

frankie

its nice to have a team like this, that you look forward to going to games, like when the soccer team was in state tourney, i think football varsity might win some games next year, sophs and freshman did good

frankie

the whole team is good, there a well balanced team, speaking about the b-ball team

Berwyn Patsy

Luke Scarlata is the kid to watch.  The scouts have been watching him for awhile.  Nice kid and nice family.

mustang54

Went to see The Mustangs tonight for the 1st time this year. They beat Oak Lawn by 16. 70 to 54. Nice team to watch. Especially since they are a young team. Morton also won big at the soph level and both freshman teams.

frankie

just saw in sun times, morton beat #10 evanston 40-38

Taylor St. Kid

I was told they hit two free throws with 1.8 seconds left. I also heard they showed up at 8:58 for a scheduled 9 am start, they were given 10 minutes to field a team. Someone else said that the bus company made them late. Can anyone confirm this. I think they play Marshall next, GO MUSTANGS.......................

LLEAST

Morton Fans,
The boys beat 7th ranked Evanston in what is the biggest upset of the year for all our athletic programs thus far...Yes, the team was late and had about 12 minutes to warm up.  Evanston was bigger and stronger but our young men were much smarter, and our head coach out coached Evanston's coach.  Trust me, I have many years of coaching experience.  We held the ball for the last shot with 3:30  left on the clock.  Evanston refused to pressure our team, and we drove in for a shot and was fouled with 1. seconds left on the clock.  The game was tied and our young man hit two free throws.  What an amazing experience for the boys and the fans from Morton. We should get some excellent feedback in tomorrow's paper.  Evanston didn't play bad, Morton outplayed them.  At one time we were down by 10 points. I want to emphasize again the importance of good coaching.  Great job by everyone involved with the Boy's Basketball program.  We play again tomorrow at 3:45 against the Marshall vs Proviso West winner.  Marshal was winning big at half.  Marshal is ranked very high in the polls.

LLEAST

Morton Fans,
In today's Tribune there is an excellent article about Coach Martinucci and the Boy's Basketball Program on page 11 in the sports section.  We need all the good news possible to offset the bad press we receive.  Unfortunately, we do deserve the bad press.
  I am hoping for a year free of turmoil at Morton, but most important a year of "knowledge " for every student who wants it...Happy New Year to all posters....Thanks for the enlightening discussions...

frankie

its a great article, these coaches and players deserve so much credit for all the dedication they put in to the program, i heard all the boys teams are doing well, if they beat von stueben they could play for 5th place which is a great accomplishment in this tournament

Mortonvet

Here is a link to the aforementioned Tribune article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-temkin28dec28,1,1752189.story?ctrack=2&cset=true

and here is a link to a Sun-Times article dated 12/26/07: (it's a recap of the tourney results, not a feature like the other one)

http://highschoolsports.suntimes.com/boys_basketball/713176,122607mortonbbk.article

mustang54

Morton pulls off another upset! They beat Von Steuben who was ranked 8th at the start of the week. Beat them 71 to 58. That means Morton has defeated the 6th and 8th ranked teams while losing only to the top ranked team. Great tournament! Now maybe they will get the respect they deserve.
  My wish came true Mustangs will play St. Joes!! Tomorrow at 3:45 for fifth place in the tournament.

ZORBA

Morton should beat St. Joe. This is a down year for the Chargers. Lost Mc Camey and Turner to the Big Ten. They're all underclassmen and are vey weak under the boards. Scarlata should have a field day.

jimbuc

like the team said in the paper, they know they could compete with any team, these coaches have these kids playing in leagues year round, alot of coaches dont do that, if they play there game today, they should beat st. joe, and i think we could beat lyons to, so now we will be the best team in the area, to bad lyons wasnt in proviso tourney

ZORBA

ALL the premier programs play year round.

Morton is good, but not at the level of HF, Young, Marshall, or Farragut.

Not sure about what you mean best in the area, as Marshall and Faragut and less than 5 miles from Morton, and Young is maybe 6 miles east or so.

Berwyn Patsy

Just heard Morton beat St. Joe's.  How great is that ?

Taylor St. Kid

Thats awsome, thanks for the update. If beating three good programs doesn't get the team ranked, then there is something wrong with the system. And Bob Sack-a-poop from the Tribune need's his head checked. Congrats to coach Martinucci and the team, you have made your school proud.

Now let's hope we start getting more people out to watch the kids play. I heard Mustang will pay for the first 200 people thru the gates.