News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Morton boys basketball

Started by Taylor St. Kid, November 07, 2007, 09:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbuc

i was at the game, it was awesome, these kids played great, out played joes whole 1st half, struggled in 3rd quarter, but junior guard joey belcaster was hitting all his shots, and ended up with 22 points

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Great news for Morton and their basketball program.  When is their next home game?  My daughter and I would love to attend - she knows some of the players from the rec league when they were younger.  Another kudo for Martinucci and the rec program where many of these kids started.

jimbuc

the next home game isnt til jan 25, but they play at fenwick saturday

frankie

i was at the game to, this team has a chance to go far in playoffs, they should be ranked high in both papers, in not, then its as political as dist 201 LOL

Taylor St. Kid

Maybe the guy that mkes the rankings is from Cicero, and he just doesn't like all those kids from Berwyn.

jimbuc

silk,when i said area, i meant cicero, berwyn,lyons,westchester, and let me tell you, they arent to far from being as good as farragut, and marshall, and the other teams you mentioned, this team should be ranked 15th or higher in both papers, we know there way better than proviso east and west

jimbuc

its to bad we dont play lyons, maybe we will see them in the playoffs

Taylor St. Kid

mustang54

Quote from: Taylor St. Kid on December 30, 2007, 12:00:48 PM
We would beat Lyons ;D
Maybe not. If we met in sectionals or regionals it would probably be hosted by LT. Home court disadvantage again for us. Morton has lost close games to some of St' Joes best teams at L.T. Now if Morton was allowed to host playoffs like all other schools do we might be able to go further into the payoffs.

Berwyn Patsy

Why does Morton not host playoffs, or why are they not allowed to?

mustang54

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on December 30, 2007, 12:40:48 PM
Why does Morton not host playoffs, or why are they not allowed to?
The administration said the district cannot afford it. That was decided a few years ago. I'm sure the IHSA allows so much of the gate revenue to the host school for expenses. If in the past Morton over staffed the events thats an administrators fault, so fix the problem and give our kids the advantage others get for a change. Its not fair.

Berwyn Patsy

Is this something that might be able to be revisited again? It could be the start of one action plan.
Is there a minimum requirement as far as seating for all sectional games?

mustang54

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on December 30, 2007, 01:02:05 PM
Is this something that might be able to be revisited again? It could be the start of one action plan.
Is there a minimum requirement as far as seating for all sectional games?
Patsy Mortons facilities meet all requirements. They were offered playoffs for girls softball last year and in the past. Also conference events. They choose not to do so.
Using lack of money as an excuse. I call it penny wise and dollar short. Tired of hearing the excuses of money and union contracts for short changing our kids.

Taylor St. Kid

Thank Dr. No for that. He claims it would cost the district money. Even if it did, I think we owe to those kids to give them every advantage they could get. In my oppinion it would be money well spent. It couldn't cost more then the super's office furniture he bought a few years ago.

Berwyn Patsy

All that being said, Mustang and TSK have some great points to bring this subject back to the table.
If someone could bring up the no hosting rule of Morton at one of the next couple of board meetings,
maybe the NEW board members would like to re examine this issue.  It might give a push that could start things rolling.
There is only one way to find out and that's to ask for some consideration in this matter. What do you guys think?

mustang54

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on December 30, 2007, 02:33:59 PM
All that being said, Mustang and TSK have some great points to bring this subject back to the table.
If someone could bring up the no hosting rule of Morton at one of the next couple of board meetings,
maybe the NEW board members would like to re examine this issue.  It might give a push that could start things rolling.
There is only one way to find out and that's to ask for some consideration in this matter. What do you guys think?
It is one of a couple of items I am thinking of bringing up at the next board meeting.

LLEAST

Berwyn Patsy and Mustang54,
Everyone would benefit from once again hosting the regionals and sectionals.  Money was the reason for discontinuing the past practice.  Having these tournaments at home can give Morton the edge we need to advance deep into the state playoffs.  We (the coaches) ask every season if we could be the host and the Athletic Director approaches Dr.No and gets turned down.  This is what we have been told. If the parents would also say something maybe we could once again gain the advantage of being the host team.  Many of our current teams have been performing well, and we are very proud of the Boy's Basketball accolades.  It has been a long time (1986)with the Girls' Softball since our last certified state championship.  Hosting the regionals and sectionals could lead our student athletes in this direction very soon. Thanks for all your help

ZORBA

jimbuc,

Morton should be ranked in the top 10. Nonetheless, they're not in the class of the top tier West Side schools, and it showed against Marshall at PW. Nor are they in Young or Farragut's class.

Great wins by Morton, but lets keep in mind that this is a real down year for Joe's (I think they're overrated), Von Stueben is perennialy overrated and benefits (won-loss) from playing in a north side conference. I haven't seen Evanston, so I can't comment on them.

As far as hosting a regional or sectional, keep in mind, St. Joe's never has hosted either, and we all know how succesful they've been.

Also keep in mind that city schools now qualify at large, so its quite possible Morton may face either Marshall, Farragut, or Young in a sectional or supersectional.

Remember last year St. Joe's probably had the second best team in the state yet  couldn't make it out of the supersectionals past Simeon.

Mortonvet

Could someone with experience and knowledge in the subject please tell me what kind of expenses would be required and approximately how much it would cost the district?

Admittedly, I was never a jock, so I don't know much about the logistics of hosting a tournament, but I find it hard to believe we couldn't pull this off. Enlighten me, please?
Thanks!

Berwyn Patsy

I think your all on to something with the idea of bringing up the hosting idea!
If a few of you could get together , bring up a an idea or two or even just question Dr. Nowakowski and the board once
again, who knows, maybe some one this time will listen .  Go for it Mustang!!