News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Two Sons Restaurant

Started by Boris, March 25, 2006, 06:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boris

So, the Mrs. and I decided to head on down to the DD for a little late breakfast, and popped into Two Sons at Stanley and Oak Park.

Worst service I've ever experienced in a restaurant...period. So bad, in fact, we left without ordering. There were 5 staff and about 5 patrons in the place...two of which were taking sips of coffee and a bite of food between chain-smoking. Two waitresses were clearing a small table adjacent to where we sat- they made 4 trips to this little empty table: one with a couple of coffee cups and saucers. Then the other would move the saucers and wipe the table. Then the other came back with silverware. Then they brought the smokers some more coffee. we sat there nonplussed as we were being actively and obviously ignored.

We sat, without so much as a "hello...be right with you" for nearly 15 minutes, at which point we got up and walked out. Even as we stood to put our coats on, a waitress standing within 5 feet said nothing.

Unbelieveable.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

markberwyn

Quote from: Boris on March 25, 2006, 06:18:39 PM
So, the Mrs. and I decided to head on down to the DD for a little late breakfast, and popped into Two Sons at Stanley and Oak Park.

Worst service I've ever experienced in a restaurant...period. So bad, in fact, we left without ordering. There were 5 staff and about 5 patrons in the place...two of which were taking sips of coffee and a bite of food between chain-smoking. Two waitresses were clearing a small table adjacent to where we sat- they made 4 trips to this little empty table: one with a couple of coffee cups and saucers. Then the other would move the saucers and wipe the table. Then the other came back with silverware. Then they brought the smokers some more coffee. we sat there nonplussed as we were being actively and obviously ignored.

We sat, without so much as a "hello...be right with you" for nearly 15 minutes, at which point we got up and walked out. Even as we stood to put our coats on, a waitress standing within 5 feet said nothing.

Unbelieveable.

It woulda been worse if you actually got served food, believe me. That place is a horror. Went once--never again.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Bear

Best breakfast in Berwyn?....

The Lilly...Grove and Ogden...
You will never eat breakfast elsewhere in Berwyn
after going..

Fine lunch as well, great soup and burgers.
Low smoke intake due to good ventilation,
they try to accomodate DINK's with a dog...

An ethereal political wise man of the old board told me of this place,
He ate there every morning, and we as His followers broke the same bread:

Eggs up, sausage links, raison toast, buttered please, and an Ogden Burger,
medium rare....

Even in His advancing years He still looks like an Irish Adonis...

You are what you eat boys and girls.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

scoon

Boris,

The wife and I had the exact same experience two weeks ago and also ended up with us walking out before ordering...

We went to Connie's instead.

Ana

You know it's horrible when even your 11 year old can taste the "horrible" in the food.  

Lily's does have a great breakfast . . . but everytime I eat there I walk out with a headache from the smoke.  My tolerance is a bit lower than yours, Bear, unfortunately.  I am waiting for it to become smoke free to go back, maybe we should invite Alderman Burt Natarus to come to Berwyn.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

BPM

Patiently waiting for Wishbone which is in walking distance for me.

Bear

Art, you wont have to bring Burt
to town....Check out the clerks
line item for Tuesday
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

mom

That place has had the rep as a horrible place to eat for years. I can't imagine why they are still around.
"Life's most persistant and urgent question is: What are you doing for others?" Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

markberwyn

They're in real trouble if a real breakfast joint opens up in Central Station across the street. I recall some talk in one of the local papers (not the Gazette or Life) about the Chew Chew Cafe maybe opening up there, which would be great if so. The waiter I spoke with today didn't know anything one way or the other about that, though.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Ana

Quote from: Bear on March 26, 2006, 08:56:19 AM
Art, you wont have to bring Burt
to town....Check out the clerks
line item for Tuesday

Bear, I can't bring up certain pdf files on my computer, don't ask me, "why?"  What is the line 2 item?  Banning smoking in restaurants and/or public places?   ;D
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Bear

Art, go to adobe.com and download 7.0 reader,
that should solve your problem, free download

Ana

Yipee, smoking ban!!!   I may get to go back to Lily's after all!!! 

Bonster

Two Son's has the best hungover, greasy-junk-on-a-plate, strong tar-based coffee breakfast.
It's not a "nice" kind of joint to go for breakfast, it's just a "joint."
You need to sit at the counter between a couple of old stinky, smoky men, order the biscuits 'n gravy with two frieds eggs & hash browns, mix it all together, and you'll forget about any hangover...
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

pkd50

You sound like a cardiologist's dream patient.

Bonster

Grease up those arteries...makes the blood flow better...
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

seebee

So, I don't know about other stuff on this place's menu, or if there's been an ownership change, or any history at all. All I know is that I've lived down the street from this joint for several years now, and I've never been - partially due the reports here. About a month ago, a post popped up on lthforum saying that this place was churning out in-house roasted turkey for sammiches. I called up one day around lunchtime, and spoke to an incredibly nice woman. I explained I had no menu, but wanted to order for lunch. SHe rattled off all of the day's specials along with the prices. I inquired about a turkey club (assuming they had one on offer.) She said "everyone loves his turkey, here," then rattled off the soup choices of the day. I've been back twice. The turkey is real, and so is my growing apreciation of this little hole in the wall. Not sure what type of mayo they use, I'll assume it's fake, sugary, garbage, since most diner places go that route. It's ok tho, cuz I usually grab a club, and bring it home for a mayo swipe. The soups are all about as decent as you'd imagine from a crappy diner. Mostly foodservice stuff. If I were to guess, split pea would be my favorite (Wednesdays) but I have never had it. They always seem to have a sauerkraut soup on offer - never tried it. Maybe that's their homemade soup. Doesn't appeal to me. I should prolly try it since I normally toss about half of the other soups I've tried away. Took a few pics, they came out ok...

The club:

Turkey Reuben:

Soups:
Chowdah (best one I've had from Two Sons to date - but that ain't saying much)

Navy Bean (Closest one to homemade. Too salty for me)

Cream of Spinach (Gloppy, kinda flavorless)

The prices are very reasonable (That turkey club with soup is 6.45 plus tax,) and the waitresses I've encountered have been over the top friendly. The soups are ass for the most part, but I'll vouch for the turkey and price.

Crunchie

Seebee, the Pied Piper really nailed your ass with that roasted turkey, didn't he? ;D ;D He, what do they put on the turkey Reuben?

seebee

Same as a regular one. (Real) turkey, kraut, swiss, 1k island. I do have a major problem with whatever it is people refer to as "deli" turkey. I'm just not sure how ppl choose to accept it as turkey when it is clearly some chemist's interpretation of turkey. It doesn't look, feel, or taste like turkey, yet, for some odd reason, ppl accept it as turkey. Not sure how, when, or why that happened, but to each his or her own, I guess. I really enjoy it when a sandwich place chooses to use turkey instead of chemical compounds.

Berwyn Patsy

While living in Berwyn all those years, I probably ate at Two Sons, maybe 3 times. I
went to Majorette and Connie's most of the time.  I don't know why?  I can't remember
any thing wrong with the food or service at the time.
   Thinking about it, they have to be doing something right, since they are still serving
and have managed to keep their heads afloat during the rough times.  Who owns it?
How long has that restaurant been open?

The Jackal

The current owner is the ex wife of the previous owner. The place itself has had numerous owners and has been around for decades, probably more than 50 years.