News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Five Guys...

Started by renovatorbear, February 28, 2012, 11:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

menace2society

They should build one of those pedestrian bridges across Cermak like they have all over Vegas.  We could have people begging for money on ours, too.

Good Time Charlie

There's parking further down on Vacin Fairway, you just have to walk a little if its busy. We did this on a Friday night going to the Buffalo Wild Wings.

Amazing to me that they're trying to build Berwyn up as this "walkable," "green," or "new age" or whatever they call the type of community where you walk to places. Then people gripe when they can't park their car within 10 feet of the door of a given business. I hope it's just the former Berwyn residents who now live in cartopia complaining!

NYWREB

Charile- I think there's walking/green and then there is saftey.  I'd be fine walking from my house to the new development ALONE.  But have you tried walking across cermak or even any where near that parking lot with children?My guess is no - I have - and now, I'd rather circle to find a spot than to try to keep my kids safe from the ignorant drivers in that area.

watcher

Quote from: Charlie Slater on March 06, 2012, 08:05:58 AM
There's parking further down on Vacin Fairway, you just have to walk a little if its busy. We did this on a Friday night going to the Buffalo Wild Wings.

Amazing to me that they're trying to build Berwyn up as this "walkable," "green," or "new age" or whatever they call the type of community where you walk to places. Then people gripe when they can't park their car within 10 feet of the door of a given business. I hope it's just the former Berwyn residents who now live in cartopia complaining!

+11

There's no such thing as instant green or walkable.  When pedestrian concerns are being discussed, the effect on traffic is still the main consideration at the table. The car is still KING and Berwyn is as much a part of "cartopia" as anywhere.

Weaning away from that way of thinking takes more than pavement markings and streetscaping illusions, but for the most part that is state of the art urban planning. Non-automobile traffic is still an afterthought. If you're a regular bicyclist, you know the challenges and have developed your own alternate routes.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

justme

Quote from: NYWREB on March 06, 2012, 08:13:39 AM
Charile- I think there's walking/green and then there is saftey.  I'd be fine walking from my house to the new development ALONE.  But have you tried walking across cermak or even any where near that parking lot with children?My guess is no - I have - and now, I'd rather circle to find a spot than to try to keep my kids safe from the ignorant drivers in that area.

Exactly. Even driving in the plaza, you have to have eyes all around your head. The driving in that whole Cermak/Harlem area is bad. I wouldn't want to to risk it with kids.

OakParkSpartan

The plaza is horrible.  One thing that I noticed while parking at Walgreen's is that there is a significant slope to that parking lot.  Meijers is going to have tons of carts in that lot.  It will be interesting to see how many end up against cars downhill or against the curb along Cermak.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

rbain

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on March 06, 2012, 10:31:12 AM
The plaza is horrible.  One thing that I noticed while parking at Walgreen's is that there is a significant slope to that parking lot.  Meijers is going to have tons of carts in that lot.  It will be interesting to see how many end up against cars downhill or against the curb along Cermak.

Brian... I have to say, as a San Franciscan, that comment made me laugh. Out loud. I'm always so thrilled at any deviation from the Platonic plane that is Chicago. It never occurred to me a minor incline could be "horrible". ;)
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

OakParkSpartan

The bump isn't horrible...the traffic flow through the plaza is though.

I too laugh at what passes for a "hill" around here.  Poor kids don't know what a sled riding hill truly is.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Good Time Charlie

Quote from: NYWREB on March 06, 2012, 08:13:39 AM

Your guess would be wrong, and the Vacin Fairway is on the same side of the street as the development if you forgot. You won't have to cross Cermak if you park there.

Diona

I think this is where my husband & I not having a car comes in handy. :)  We are gonna give the restaurants in that new area a try very soon.

jfrickind

I would like to see some of the streets up to the cermak/harlem corner cut off like on Roosevelt.  Let's say Kenilworth on done to the corner.  Make a cul de sac that goes to the alley (maybe even eliminate the alley that runs parallel to cermak) and make that parking.  It would be a little easier to get up and down cermak but that still wouldn't help crossing cermak.

I'm out of ideas.

JD

OakParkSpartan

NO!

We don't need a bunch of dead ends.