News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Two Sons Restaurant

Started by Boris, March 25, 2006, 06:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diona

We went to Two Sons for the first time like over a year ago for breakfast.  I forget what we ordered, but it was very good & a good price too.  We always say we want to go back, but haven't had the chance to just yet.

dukesdad

My wife and I go there occasionally. Been going to Garlic Clove instead since they opened. One thing I don't like about Two Sons, and i only mention it because others may really like it, is that they use double yolk eggs. I'm not a huge egg fan and they are too eggy for me. 

Bonster

Heh.  One of my first food posts, and pkd's 1st response to one of my food posts.   :)

I stopped going to Two Sons when the smoking ban was enacted; they seemed to lose a bit of their "charm."
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Thor

I've gone to 2 Sons for years and never had a problem with the food or the service. As a matter of fact I believe their service has improved. There was a time they had way too many people working there and one hand had no idea what the other hand was doing. Granted I've only gone for breakfast so cannot comment on lunch and dinner.
The only other problem I've had with 2 Sons is their proximity to George's next door. I don't like staring at the bums on a Sunday morning waiting to get they're liquor fix or sleeping it off on the bus bench. So yeah unfortunately I am patronizing Garlic Clove allot more these days, and thats a shame because the owner is real nice.
Stop your whining and think the way I do

Terri

Bonster

Quote from: Thor on August 09, 2011, 12:01:38 PM
The only other problem I've had with 2 Sons is their proximity to George's next door. I don't like staring at the bums on a Sunday morning waiting to get they're liquor fix or sleeping it off on the bus bench.

Oh you big sissy Thor.  As if there's no freaks by the Garlic Clove!

dukesdad

George's is part of the whole ambiance of that corner.

LetsGoThrow

Which may be why the storefronts on the opposite corner underneath those condos sit empty.

dukesdad

QuoteWhich may be why the storefronts on the opposite corner underneath those condos sit empty.

Actually, I don't think George's has a thing to do with it. The rent, area demographics, and lack of foot traffic have much more to do with it.

berwynguy

Quote from: dukesdad on August 09, 2011, 03:31:55 PM
QuoteWhich may be why the storefronts on the opposite corner underneath those condos sit empty.

Actually, I don't think George's has a thing to do with it. The rent, area demographics, and lack of foot traffic have much more to do with it.

Actually the demographics in that area are as good as you will ever find in Berwyn.  I think it's the two other issues you mentioned.  I heard the rent in those joints is absolutely ridiculously high for retail space in that area considering there are no fucking floors in them.  Secondly, you are right about the foot traffic.  Contrary to all of the hype and praise I see the Depot District get, the area is a feakin ghost town to me.  
Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

Bonster

Agreed.  Other than train traffic, you don't often see people walking a lot between Grove and OPA.  People don't seem to leave Two Sons to hit Urban Mutt.  Alternately, I have crossed the tracks at Grove to hit Urban Mutt a time or two.  Still the lack of foot traffic there is not Geo's fault.  I wish there was more on Oak Park Ave itself to generate more foot traffic just north of the tracks.

If the condos were full or near capacity some businesses could survive on resident traffic alone.

berwynguy

I personally feel that the area's functionally obsolete.  Berwyn needed a "down town" shopping district 100-120 years ago but not in 2011.  Historically, after the 1920s Cermak Rd. became the place to shop.  Don't get me wrong, the DD or "Uptown" as it was known still had busy businesses but after the 1970s early 1980s the DD died.  The real estate crash of 2008 and the lack of sales in that condo building sure didn't help any revitalization efforts. 

Posters like billyjean always talk about all the hospital employees that used to patronize the DD.  What happened to all those people?
Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

billyjean

Quote from: berwynguy on August 09, 2011, 03:55:37 PM
I personally feel that the area's functionally obsolete.  Berwyn needed a "down town" shopping district 100-120 years ago but not in 2011.  Historically, after the 1920s Cermak Rd. became the place to shop.  Don't get me wrong, the DD or "Uptown" as it was known still had busy businesses but after the 1970s early 1980s the DD died.  The real estate crash of 2008 and the lack of sales in that condo building sure didn't help any revitalization efforts. 

Posters like billyjean always talk about all the hospital employees that used to patronize the DD.  What happened to all those people?

What happened is that the hospital built an extensive cafeteria with gormet food and employees get the food discounted.

dukesdad

I know the tax/drug laws changed several years ago (while that mean George Bush was President) and drug reps can no longer ply doctors and nurses with free food. I know for a fact that hurt La Notte. That was back when David owned it, he had quite a racket supplying free lunches for reps. He cried like a baby, I think that hurried his exit.

Sherman

I've been to Two Sons, and didn't find it that bad.

I expected a greasy spoon diner....and got a greasy spoon diner.

In terms of atmosphere, Snuffy's makes Two Sons look like Spago by comparison.

But, I always loved the food at Snuffy's. ;)

The only place I loved more was the old Joe's Grill on Ogden in Cicero.

Berwyn Patsy

Where on Ogden was Joe's Grill?  I remember a corner greasy looking trucker grill on Ogden and
maybe 50th Ave.?

dukesdad

Isn't Joe's Grill now the Depot Diner?

Thor

Quote from: Bonster on August 09, 2011, 01:40:35 PM
Quote from: Thor on August 09, 2011, 12:01:38 PM
The only other problem I've had with 2 Sons is their proximity to George's next door. I don't like staring at the bums on a Sunday morning waiting to get they're liquor fix or sleeping it off on the bus bench.
Oh you big sissy Thor.  As if there's no freaks by the Garlic Clove!
What do you want to see my testicles too now!!
Stop your whining and think the way I do

Bonster

No I just want to taste them.

Berwyn Patsy

Your both seriously sick.    But good come back, Bonster.