Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Two Sons Restaurant

Started by Boris, March 25, 2006, 06:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Jackal

Quote from: iamvika on August 20, 2011, 08:54:16 AM
just saw something on Depot District's facebook page about some changes coming to Two Sons Restaurant. Any clue what's going on? I assume they're renovating because that place reallllly needs to be updated.

What's going on is that the owner got a new lease from the landlord and is committing some funds to updating and remodeling the place.

That's it.

It will still be the same food with the same owner. Not a bad little place. And NO...its not going to be a "Muslim" restaurant. The owner is of the Muslim faith, but the food is greasy spoon diner variety...and not bad at all.

Sherman

I wonder if they're any relation to "Tastee Donuts"? :-\

baron von berwyn

looks like a welcome and much needed change.... the owner had no choice but to step it up. With places like garlic clove just across the street as well as other new places opening up she would have put herself out of business keeping that same ol' ghetto fabulous decor...... I like a dive as much as anyone but that place was in dire need of a facelift.... good for them. It makes the depot district look that much better. I lament the removal of the dining counter.....should have kept it. It's a big part of what makes a diner a diner. Also would have gone for a more retro look....  Now if they could stay open 24 hrs so that i had a place to drink my coffee and sulk at 2.a.m., that would really be a welcomed treat.

STL

Bonstar asked is the Tastee Corner Cafe a Muslim restaurant or just conforming to Halal standards. The word Halal is an Arabic word meaning "permitted" or "Lawful". Halal foods are foods that are allowed under the Islamic dietary guidlines gathered from the Qu'ran.The owner of Tastee Corner Cafe is Albainion of Muslim faith. To comply with Halal standards the restaurant would not be able to serve pork products, blood or blood by products, the meat of any carniverous animals, birds of prey, animals that are dead before slaughter/butchering, animals without external ears and animals not slaughtered in the name of Allah.

As I understand, pork and pork products will not be served in conjunction with the spiritual beliefs of the owner. I do not know about the rest. So if you like a nicely cooked pork chop, ham, bacon or sausage with your eggs or a BLT, this will not be the place to go.

As-Salaamu Alaikum All

dukesdad

"As you understand it"? Any basis for your "understanding"? She has owned the restaurant for a long time and has always served bacon and sausage.

Crunchie

A breakfast joint in Berwyn that doesn't serve bacon, sausage, or ham with their eggs won't be around long.

STL

Yes, dukesdad, as "I understand it." The basis of my understanding is from trying to order a grilled cheese and ham sandwich and being told pork is no longer being served. Go in and try to order a pork dish and then it will be your understanding as well!

truman40

I went there today for breakfast and although I did not order any there was sausage pattys on the menu. The menu still said 2 Sons so it is an old menu, maybe she'll be changing it up on a newer menu. Either way I wouldn't mind if the restaurant followed Halal standards as long as what they offered was done right. Who knows maybe it'll bring in different people to The Depot.
BTW- as we ate we noticed allot of new people coming in and out of the corner condos.
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

buzz

Truman, it may bring new people in, but it will turn a lot of regulars away.

Quote from: Crunchie on August 27, 2011, 07:56:42 PM
A breakfast joint in Berwyn that doesn't serve bacon, sausage, or ham with their eggs won't be around long.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

frankvdv

If I saw the hours of operation starting at 7am, they are not getting Metra transit business by  not opening up earlier than that. Personally, I would think a 5am opening time would be good. They need to realize their potential customer base expects a hearty breakfast selection [eggs, meats, hashbrown potatoes, etc.]. THEY ARE THE ONLY BREAKFAST DINNER WITHING A MILE RADIUS OF THE BERWYN METRA STOP!

Thor

Not sure what time they open but doesn't The Garlic Clove serve breakfast? I've been there on the weekends for breakfast.
Stop your whining and think the way I do

Bonster

Quote from: Thor on August 29, 2011, 09:02:42 AM
Not sure what time they open but doesn't The Garlic Clove serve breakfast? I've been there on the weekends for breakfast.

GC opens two hours later and is closed on Monday.

Is Tastee Corner open today?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

The Jackal

Quote from: frankvdv on August 29, 2011, 08:36:02 AM
If I saw the hours of operation starting at 7am, they are not getting Metra transit business by  not opening up earlier than that. Personally, I would think a 5am opening time would be good. They need to realize their potential customer base expects a hearty breakfast selection [eggs, meats, hashbrown potatoes, etc.]. THEY ARE THE ONLY BREAKFAST DINNER WITHING A MILE RADIUS OF THE BERWYN METRA STOP!

No they're not.

seebee

Quote from: seebee on August 22, 2011, 12:51:54 PM
Balls!
I bet my $6.45 club is now gonna be $8.75, and fake, jello, turkey.
Same great price, food was a joke. Fake, jello turkey, bacon was some fake, sizzlean product as well. I didn't have a menu, and I didn't grab one, the bacon may be fake on purpose which is fine, but that jello, yellow, jiggly, fake turkey product is an absolute deal breaker. Pictures soon. Soup was good to decent - chicken/rice today. Not a cream base, but a stock base. Shame. Thought I found a nice little throwback diner with actual food for honest prices here. I'm tapping out on my enjoyment of this place. Scroo them, but I hope they do well otherwise. I really do. Yuck, they even sliced the fake turkey jello extra thick. It was gross. I hope my cam picked up the grain / texture of this garbage. I'll post pix later.

The Jackal

Here's a suggestion seebeee....don't eat turkey when you go to diners and fast food joints...probably will save you a ton of agita.

seebee

Quote from: The Jackal on September 13, 2011, 03:09:06 PM
Here's a suggestion seebeee....don't eat turkey when you go to diners and fast food joints...probably will save you a ton of agita.
I don't think so. I normally test the waters first as I did here. I used to like this place specifically FOR the turkey. There are plenty of diners and fast food joints that take pride in their product. As far as I can tell, Tastee Corner Cafe does not take pride in theirs when it comes to turkey.
Here's what I was sold:

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32049&p=387854#p387854

And in fairness, I was singing praises for Two Sons in that lth thread, and also in this thread as well.
So, just beware the turkey if you think of turkey as meat from a bird, and not a yellowish, gelatinous, mixture of chemicals, like Tastee Corner Cafe, Subway, Potbelly, and Mr Submarine.

Sherman

Yeah...but in all fairness--Mr Sub's has got GREAT tuna! ;D

The Jackal

Quote from: STL on August 27, 2011, 10:36:35 AM
Bonstar asked is the Tastee Corner Cafe a Muslim restaurant or just conforming to Halal standards. The word Halal is an Arabic word meaning "permitted" or "Lawful". Halal foods are foods that are allowed under the Islamic dietary guidlines gathered from the Qu'ran.The owner of Tastee Corner Cafe is Albainion of Muslim faith. To comply with Halal standards the restaurant would not be able to serve pork products, blood or blood by products, the meat of any carniverous animals, birds of prey, animals that are dead before slaughter/butchering, animals without external ears and animals not slaughtered in the name of Allah.

As I understand, pork and pork products will not be served in conjunction with the spiritual beliefs of the owner. I do not know about the rest. So if you like a nicely cooked pork chop, ham, bacon or sausage with your eggs or a BLT, this will not be the place to go.

As-Salaamu Alaikum All

Well, the owner was an ethnic Albanian Muslim BEFORE she remodeled the restaurant also...and I distinctly remember pork products on her menu back then. So she either was non compliant back then and/or had a spiritual revelation in the interim. If something has changed in the interim, that's news to me though.

The Jackal

Quote from: Crunchie on August 27, 2011, 07:56:42 PM

+1.

Bonster

Why the hell do they have inject religion into food?  

That's unconstitutional for me.   There should be a separation of church and food in Berwyn.
  :-)

The website seems to indicate they serve monkey:  http://tasteecornercafe.com/
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"