News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

100 years of Berwyn - June 2008

Started by binchen6, July 01, 2007, 10:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

binchen6

Hi,
I like the idea of doing something good for next years celebration.

I started thinking about it and was hoping to get more input.
The gal from the city community outreach program (name escapes me) gave me her card (have to dig it up)
to contact her with any ideas. But I was hoping to get you Berwyntalkers to be Berwynaction-takers ;)

Any other ideas and suggestions on whom to talk to and get involved would be appreciated. I'll add groups I think could be in charge next to my idea, if someone from those groups could let me know their thoughts

-Start a contest (soon) in schools, daycare, library, Over the Rainbow etc. Kids (and Adults) paint/draw "Berwyn in 100 years from now - 2108"
.futuristic houses, transportation, food, DD, Cermak etc
.Arts Council could be the main contact

-Have a Gallery with these future art pieces and the historic photographs
.Location - don't know options - e.g Cermak Plaza - Store front where Cartopia had posters up
.I have photos from when my house was built (1920) and the adjasent land which is now Proka Park was all just grass.
Picture comparism from then and now would be really cool - blown up bigger with a little map(satelite) to know where it's at

-Have a parade from cermak to the DD (is that too long?)

-Sidewalk sales

-Music in the park (music from that period - big band style to now)

-Story telling things that happened then and how live was (Radio shows, not too many cars - anything to emphasize the difference to today)

-Get BNSF to send a historic train

-Historic House walk (day off or next)

-Get Trollies for a day to move people between different locations (DD to Proksa to Cermak Plaza etc)

This is my tiny braindump.
The origanization that I know off so far that should be involved.

.Arts Council
.Historical Society
.Berwyn Development Corporation
.Depot Districs
.City Hall
.Womens League or something similar (Some lady was at the house walk and said her club was already OVER 100 years old, it had been founded prior to Berwyns incorporation to be a city)

What other groups are out there?

Hope people will see this as a great opportunity.

~LL~

Binchen6:  First of all, welcome to BTF!  Always terrific to read that someone wants to pitch in for the betterment of Berwyn.
Jeanmarie Hajer is the head of Community Outreach.  Her office is at City Hall.  I understand that there will soon be a request for residents to be part of the planning committee for the Centennial.  When the word goes out officially, I'll post it here, too.  Meantime -- consider joining Neighborhood Watch by signing on as a Block Captain.  Jeanmarie can tell you all about that, too.
Happy Trails!
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

OakParkSpartan

MainStreet.

The house walk will be the first Sunday in June.

I'd also thought about the BNSF train... CN might as well.  Traffic on the rails might be a problem.  But never hurts to ask.

From bnsf.com:

Contact     Telephone     Territory
Steve Forsberg
General Director Public Affairs    913-551-4479
913-551-4285 Fax    CO, IA, IL, KS, KY, MN, MO, NE, WI

I'd also add a time capsule.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Berwyn Patsy

It is so good to see new folks, new ideas and be so enthusiastic!! What a welcome sight to Berwyn!!!!
Folks with your kind of insight can only make Berwyn a better place.

Artanis1215

Binchen6- it is great to see a new homeowner in Berwyn wanting to take such an active role with regards to functions around the city.  Great ideas!  This should be a big blowout on the city's part.  Great way to celebrate and try to bring together old & new.  Even put something in the major papers looking for residents who may have moved to participate, sorta like a reunion.

OakParkSpartan

Who's going to pay for this celebration?

If I recall, city council voted to NOT approve funds for any celebration.

In any case, 11 months to plan a major event is a pretty tight timeline.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Berwyn Patsy

Brian, there ya go again, bring us all back to reality, just when the sun started to shine!!  lol.

OakParkSpartan

Reality is you need to contact your alderman if you think having a 100 year anniversary is a worthwhile cause.

I'd also say having a plan with estimated costs BEFORE you ask for money would be a reasonable approach.

binchen6

BTW how do I get info on the progress with Mainstreet- I sent an email to the Mainstreet email address but no update-
I want to start planning on when to talk to businesses. :)

Back to 100s
Okay, money - valid point! I"ll keep it in mind

I think many groups (including Mainstreet) are about promoting Berwyn, correct?
THIS is a good way to promote the city - make it visible! Take the opportunity and funnel funds towards this goal.

The housewalk is that set in stone? 1-2 weeks difference not possible?

Where do funds come from for Cartopia, Octoberfest, Hobie-fest (how to spell that mushroom?) etc?

Ups gotta go any other thoughts from anyone.
Thanks,
Sabine