News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

"Help Take Back the Night" Rally

Started by Terri, July 15, 2007, 09:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

What is important to me is that the people running events here in Berwyn have contributed to the
success of small business owners who have invested in our community. The efforts will bring more biz
development to 60402. Life is good.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

~LL~

Quote from: truman40 on August 01, 2007, 06:28:14 PM
Quote from: Artanis1215 aka Ole Blue Eyes on July 31, 2007, 03:35:20 PM
Do we have any city businesses that are participating and donating any items?

You know that was a great idea. I e-mailed Debi Suchy at City Hall and she said "Come on down!!" So Over The Rainbow will be at Freedom tonite handing out B-Cake ice cream to the kids. Kinda last minute but its for a good cause. Unfortunately we won't be able to participate in the BIG event at Morton next week because that falls on a DD Cruise Nite and we need all hands at the store. We usually do pretty good business on those events. 

We hope the DD businesses will display a National Night Out flyer-- and encourage Cruise Nite visitors to also make at least a short visit to see the variety of NNO activities.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

scoon

Quote from: cubbie07 on July 31, 2007, 04:22:55 PM
Does anyone know if they will have that burn again this year?  My nephew loved that.

The FD will also have some bunker gear and air tanks there for people to try on in addition to the burn.

Bonster

Quote from: LL--Schmidt on August 02, 2007, 08:57:02 AM
We hope the DD businesses will display a National Night Out flyer-- and encourage Cruise Nite visitors to also make at least a short visit to see the variety of NNO activities.

I saw a couple in the DD last night.  That's the only place I've seen them, though.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

truman40

You know that was a great idea. I e-mailed Debi Suchy at City Hall and she said "Come on down!!" So Over The Rainbow will be at Freedom tonite handing out B-Cake ice cream to the kids. Kinda last minute but its for a good cause. Unfortunately we won't be able to participate in the BIG event at Morton next week because that falls on a DD Cruise Nite and we need all hands at the store. We usually do pretty good business on those events. 

You know,  I just noticed the lack of NNO flyers in any of the DD businesses. I will e-mail Jean Marie and see if we can get some up in the area. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: cubbie07 on July 31, 2007, 04:22:55 PM
Does anyone know if they will have that burn again this year?  My nephew loved that.
We also went last year and had a good time although it was quite warm.  We plan on going again this year - it looks like it will be even bigger and better!

~LL~

Quote from: truman40 on August 02, 2007, 11:07:58 AM

You know,  I just noticed the lack of NNO flyers in any of the DD businesses. I will e-mail Jean Marie and see if we can get some up in the area. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Thanks!  It would really be appreciated if the DD businesses would help promote this event.  By the way, I'm posting the flyer here again -- in case you like to just print some out to post in the DD, or e-mail it on to friends, etc.  Thanks again!

Sorry you can't make it this year due to Cruise Nite.  There are some really exciting, fun and informative event planned.  I heard we will also get to meet the newest Canine member of our Police force.  Relatively soon after we got our first two canine officers, Chief Kushner stated, "They've paid for themselves already."  And, now we are getting a third dog!  Good for Berwyn. 

truman40

[/quote]

Thanks!  It would really be appreciated if the DD businesses would help promote this event.  By the way, I'm posting the flyer here again -- in case you like to just print some out to post in the DD, or e-mail it on to friends, etc.  Thanks again!

Sorry you can't make it this year due to Cruise Nite.  There are some really exciting, fun and informative event planned.  I heard we will also get to meet the newest Canine member of our Police force.  Relatively soon after we got our first two canine officers, Chief Kushner stated, "They've paid for themselves already."  And, now we are getting a third dog!  Good for Berwyn. 
[/quote]

Thanks for the PDF!
JeanMarie did dropped off some posters yesterday after I e-mailed her. They are usually pretty responsive whenever we need something. I have them posted in a few of the businesses and we will be steering people over to the event also. I know this is national but I also think it is a great community event, bringing us all together for a safer Berwyn.
I wish I could be there to see the newest canine officer. I have the upmost respect for Man's Best Friend. 
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

Artanis1215

I am very much in favor of this event, just hope the a**holes who live amongst us do not try to break in to our homes while everybody is at the event.

Maybe we should set up booby traps  ::)  in our houses, like the a**hole drug dealers do!

~LL~

Quote from: truman40 on August 03, 2007, 03:18:58 PM
Thanks for the PDF!
JeanMarie did dropped off some posters yesterday after I e-mailed her. They are usually pretty responsive whenever we need something. I have them posted in a few of the businesses and we will be steering people over to the event also. I know this is national but I also think it is a great community event, bringing us all together for a safer Berwyn.
I wish I could be there to see the newest canine officer. I have the upmost respect for Man's Best Friend. 

Jeanmarie Hajer is the person I 'go to' first for a lot of things, because I know she will take care of "whatever" -- and quickly, too!
Thanks so much for posting the flyers around the DD.

While it is a national event, it is an important one to each individual community.  Berwyn's even placed quite high in both the state and nationally last year -- in terms of attendance and other factors.  This year, even more things to do an see! 

I have suggested that our canine officers attend a Neighborhood Watch meeting so their handlers could show residents what 'police work' is like for these spectacular canines.  If this works out, I'll certainly post the notice.

It is quite something to see.  When our CPA class first met the first two canine officers, I was impressed from minute one.  Students took turns bringing food, because the classes were 3 hours long and most did not have time to go home for dinner before.  That night, a table to the left of the entrance to the Community Room at the PS was laden with sandwich fixings -- cold cuts, cheeses, etc.  Neither dog even cast a look in that direction even though all the food was at 'nose level' to them.  Eyes always on their respective handler.  Dogs I've owned would have snarfed down the complete buffet in about 6 seconds...

Anyway...I hope business in the DD on Tuesday is booming and Cruise Night is also a very successful event for all.

scoon

Quote from: LL--Schmidt on August 04, 2007, 12:45:17 PM
Anyway...I hope business in the DD on Tuesday is booming and Cruise Night is also a very successful event for all.

There's no reason they shouldn't both be successful.  I think it's too bad the two parties couldn't work together to promote both events, but this being Berwyn we have to have drama over everything...

Sandy

Tonight's the night. CARES and the Berwyn Arts Council wil be there. I'll be at the Girl Scout info booth.  :usa:
"Modern cynics and skeptics see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."
John F. Kennedy

mrs. scoon

I am really hoping that the rain gets over with before tonight.  I hope that the weather doesn't keep anyone away.

See you all tonight!!

FYI:  Not sure if they are doing it this year, but last year the Park District handed out FREE bicycle helmets to everyone.  Sizes ran: newborn/baby, small, medium, large, and extra-large.  If they do, it will be by the tennis courts right next to the bicycle rodeo course.
You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Matryoshka

Quote from: Artanis1215 aka Ole Blue Eyes on August 03, 2007, 03:21:50 PM
I am very much in favor of this event, just hope the a**holes who live amongst us do not try to break in to our homes while everybody is at the event.

Maybe we should set up booby traps  ::)  in our houses, like the a**hole drug dealers do!

Like in Home Alone, with Christmas ornaments on the floor by the window...oil (or some slippery substance) on the steps...TV on, with John Wayne movie playing...cut-outs of people, dancing in the living room...and a bb gun to shoot 'em in the nuts, through the mail slot

Artanis1215

I think we all knew we could count on you for a deranged mind Rita

scoon

Who will be this year's Bounty Hunter?

Stay tuned.

~LL~

Quote from: Artanis1215 aka Ole Blue Eyes on August 03, 2007, 03:21:50 PM

Let's try to not even give that thought any power -- or give 'them' any ideas.  If residents are unable to attend, please at least turn on your porch light/yard light(s) tonight and, if possible - sit outside in front of your house and -- who knows, maybe meet some of your neighbors and talk with them about Neighborhood Watch, etc.  Remember -- gangs/drug dealers/thugs in general really hate it when neighbors 'communicate' and socialize...and they hate it even more when neighbors band together and call police on any and all "suspicious" activity and people.

Lots of fun and informational things planned for the NNO @Morton tonight.  Let's do Berwyn proud and encourage people to attend tonight - or take a "night out" on their own block.

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"