News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Linksys Router Problem

Started by Juliet, February 04, 2006, 08:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juliet

I was wondering if anyone has any input they can give me regarding routers.

I purchased the Linksys router version 4.0 a few days ago.  Of course, the Best Buy Geek told me it was going to be a simple, easy process. ::)  My son and I installed the CD ROM, hooked up the cables correctly and were unable to get connected with sbc dsl again.

I was trying to link an HP desktop with a Sony laptap.  The call to Linksys was frustrating.  Their wait time was enormous.  Their tech support people had such strong Arabic accents that we both struggled with understanding them.  They made me call sbc to verify I had the right user name and password entered (duh).  SBC verified everything was fine.  More calls and 2 and half hours later finally online.

My son takes the laptop out of the house the next day, and when he returns, he cannot connect to the internet.  I shut down my computer and restart.  SBC told me that with the router, I won't have to hit the connect button on my desktop anymore, I'll just be online.  Well, of course, when I restarted, I was NOT online.  I had to use the series of numbers the Linksys people gave me, inserted in the address bar, and reconfigure it again just to get online again.

After another 1 hour call, the technician at Linksys told my son he was not familiar with our product and we should probably return the router and buy a newer version!!!

As you can see, I'm ready to throw this thing out the window, but will return it because I'm not rich, and getting my money back will be more satisfactory than the temporary relief I would get from seeing it fly.  But then what do I do?  I have to have a router so that he can get online with his laptop.

Is there a more user friendly, better made router I can purchase?  I need it to be simple, I need it to be reliable, and I need your explanations to be dummied down for me.  My head is going to explode soon, and that won't be a pretty sight.

Thanks in advance.

Juliet
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

dukesdad

The Best Buy kid is right it should be very simple. I've installed a hundred of these things, I quit buying Linksys a few years ago and switched to Belkin or Netgear. You'll feel better if you return the Linksys and get something else, plus, it will probably work. If you are still having trouble send me a private message and I'll come by and set it up for you.....on the house.

Juliet

Thanks so much!

Do you know if I can purchase either of those brands at Best Buy when I return the Linksys?  Between the 2, do you have a preference?
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

OakParkSpartan

Have you tried powering off everything?  DSL modem, Router, computer.  Turn on the DSL Modem, the Router and then the computer.

Feel free to PM me with further questions.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Juliet

I did do that Brian, multiple times.  When I turn them back on, in that order, my computer (the main one) is no longer online.  I will try it once more, now, before returning the product.

OakParkSpartan

Do you get lights on the modem indicating it has connected successfully?  Do you get a link light on the linksys (might be called WAN).  Check to make sure that the cable from the DSL runs into the right port on the Linksys.  You might also try resetting the linksys (if it is one of the blue ones, there should be a very small hole on the front that you can use a paperclip to reset everything).  Then repower everything.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

dukesdad

yes, they will have one or the other at BB. No preference.

Juliet

Brian, I restarted, and this time my computer did immediately connect to the internet.  The laptop still shows no internet connection.

The Linksys lights that are on are:

POWER
WLAN
ETHERNET 1 (WHERE IT'S PLUGGED IN)
INTERNET

The only light that isn't in is DMZ.

It has to be connected correctly because after the first marathon call, the laptop did get the internet and we haven't moved any wires.  We've put the laptop a foot from the router and when you click on IE it says "this page can't be found". 

OakParkSpartan

Open a command prompt (Start=>Run=>command)  in Windows.  Type 'ipconfig /all' without the quotes.  You should get a number like "192.168.1.2" back.

While in that window, type 'ping 72.14.203.104' without the quotes.

Then type 'ping www.google.com'

Post the first command results and the results of the second. 

Cheers,
Brian

Juliet

He brought back the linksys.  He bought Netgear.  He is receiving the error "a network cable is unplugged."

I ran the command prompt.  Do I have to manually type everything it says?  It does not allow the copy feature.   The first says Packets sent =4  Lost =0% average round trip 17ms

the second says the ping request could not find the host www.google.com please check the name and try again

Could this problem be with Norton's or any firewall or pop up blocker issues?

other error on the laptop CANNOT FIND VPN CONNECTION

OakParkSpartan

Sounds like your DNS isn't working (DNS=Domain Name Service, which translates those numbers I gave you into something recognizable like www.google.com).  I'm not familiar with the Netgear interface.  Somewhere in there there should be a place to set your DNS servers (try using  64.81.159.2 and  216.231.41.2 if you don't know what your's should be).

Cheers,
Brian

Juliet

Somewhere in there?  In where?  I've discovered I don't speak computer lingo.

I'm guessing I have to do something to the laptop.  But  you need to speak very slowly and use small words Brian.  I'm so frustrated, I need step by baby step instructions.  I do appreciate your help, I'm just exhausted and my brain is overloaded.

OakParkSpartan

Somewhere in the Netgear setup/configuration should be an area to specify DNS settings.  Find that, put in the numbers I gave you, and see if that works.

Juliet

Am I doing this on the main computer or laptop?

Juliet

I followed those instructions word for word.  Right now, he's online, woo hoo.  BUT, the laptop did not let me complete the auto obtain as per the last paragraph of your instructions.  I'm afraid for him to log off! 

We will find out tomorrow if we're still good to go.

Thank you, thank you so much everyone, esp. dukesdad, brain and jim.

OakParkSpartan

Thanks Jim,

You remind me why I LOVE not having endusers to support :-).

Cheers,
Brian

Juliet

The Netgear stopped working in the summer and we gave up.  What are my options for my son to have an internet connection for his laptop in addition to the one I have for my computer?  Do I call SBC, my provider, and get another phone line put in?  I'm completely clueless on this issue so any help is appreciated.

OakParkSpartan

menace2society

Is your son's laptop running Windows XP Home Edition or Professional?  I know XP likes to have conflicts with wireless networking when connecting to more than one wireless network.  If he's connecting to another wireless network at school or in a "hotspot" somewhere other than home, XP's wireless networking usually ends up fighting all the connections it sees.  You may want to check that out.

Juliet

Brian,

I sent my son out to purchase the exact model you suggested.  He just hooked it up and he's online!  He says its slow, but that's what we get for sharing the internet.

Thanks so much!