News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

comcast vs. att/sbc

Started by scungili, August 16, 2006, 02:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scungili

Just wondering if anyone has compared Comcast Cable with SBC DSL in this area?  Reliability ... Speed ... Customer Service ... etc.

I have sbc right now. The service over the last couple of years has been adequate at times & frustrating at others.  The latest offer from comcast sounds rather appealing (the cable, phone + internet deal) and I'm considering it.

Anyone have experience with Comcast ... or SBC & Comcast comparisons for the Berwyn area?

java

I have used Comcast cable internet in Berwyn for about 4 years now.  And have had good service w/ no real issues.  $42.95 per mo.  Their deal with phone and tv may be better, but I have neither.
The City of Homers

~LL~

Neighbor next door to me "fell for" the latest ComCast deal -- for phone/cable/i-net -- and is so totally unhappy with ComCast that she has not only cancelled it (even before it was 'properly' installed) but she has contacted the Dept. of Consumer Affairs about thier business practices.  LTS:  Installation person did not seem at all competant -- for one thing -- he hooked up i-net 'modem' (???) in such a way that the family cannot dry their laundry and be on the net at the same time.  Really! Never got the cable tv hooked up properly either -- and completely screwed up on the phone.  Neighbor clocked in an astounding total of 9 hours plus on the phone -- with one 'rude' CSR after another.  All this just happend last week.

Meanwhile, I have ComCast just for cable tv -- and really have no complaints and really have never had an issue that necessitated trying to make contact with the company.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

markberwyn

I mostly hear complaints about Comcast's Internet service; one coworker of mine suffered a weeklong outage.

I've had SBC Internet for years. No complaints.

More info about Comcast here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvVp7b5gzqU
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

dukesdad

I've had Comcast internet for about 4 years now, before that I had SBC DSL. The Comcast is blindingly fast compared to DSL. SBC DSL speeds never came close to what they promised. I just switched to Comcast cable TV (from Directv) and to Comcast phone service (from SBC), so far, I am very pleased. I am saving about $60 a month with the Comcast package. Don't get me wrong, I loved DirecTV, but in the summertime when my neighbor's huge maple tree leafed out, I lost most of the HD channels. I finally decided it was stupid to have HD TV's that I could only take advantage of 6 months of the year. The phone service is OK, every once in a while there is a little bit of an echo.......not a deal breaker. The phone service has every feature you can imagine......more than anyone will ever use, IMHO. As for the installer, not a rocket scientist.....I don't let them touch any of my TVs or computers.

Ted

I have comcast for both computer access to the internet and for cable TV.  I am able to work from home now because of the computer access.  I log into work from my home and I have not had any problems with either the TV cable or the computer access. I think the computer access is much faster than DSL and I am able to even see movies played over the internet.

My mom had comcast phone access and she hated it. She went back to SBC.  One problem is that comcast phone access requires electricity to be on in your house while the regular old phone lines do not.  When a blackout occurred during a storm, she was not able to phone anyone.  Also, sometimes the phone just did not work (something was wrong with the plug or the electrical socket they used in the garage to hook it all up.)

So, I would recommend comcast for internet computer access and for cable TVand to stick with ATT/SBC for your phone system

ted

Bear

Comcast has a faster upload than SBC if you send big files.
I have a website somewhere that measures download/upload speed.
I will post it when I find it
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

OakParkSpartan

Check out www.speakeasy.net

I've used them for 4+ years, and service has been rock solid (I work at home, and need the availability).  Speeds will be comparable to SBC.  You will tradeoff between reliabilty and price.  Figure out which is more important.

Also, check out www.broadbandreports.com  There are separate forums for Chicago and SBC and Comcast.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

dukesdad

www.toast.net  has a free speed test.

delbowz

SBC offers a higher speed service for a bit of a higher price.  So, you can get comprable speeds to cable modems, and I'm pretty sure SBC is less expensive than comcast - especially if you combine other services with it - like a local calling plan, wireless, and/or the DISH network.

Denise
Life is too important to be taken seriously. - Oscar Wilde

dukesdad

My experience with SBC DSL is that beacuse of the fact that many areas of Berwyn do not have sufficient line capacity, many folks have phone lines that are digitally split. Sort of like the old style party lines, only you don't know you are sharing a line. If you have one of those digitally split lines there is no way SBC can deliver the speeds they advertise. The person you talk to on the phone will have no idea what you are talking about if you ask them if your line is split, so don't bother asking. The guy who climbs the pole will know but he may or may not tell you. You pays your money, you takes your chances.

Bear

...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Bonster

Quote from: dukesdad on August 17, 2006, 10:21:14 AM
My experience with SBC DSL is that beacuse of the fact that many areas of Berwyn do not have sufficient line capacity, many folks have phone lines that are digitally split.
Sort of like the old style party lines, only you don't know you are sharing a line.

Yep -  Bridged tap.  It will extend the effective length of the wire to the CO.
I looked into the DSL "Pro" (3 meg), but was told you need to be within 9000 feet of the CO. 
Apparently the CO I hit is in Cicero, and I'm 11,000 feet, so I was only eligible for the 1.5 MB service. 
If something just faster than regular dial up is all you need, you can't beat basic DSL @ less than half the price.

I've been with Comcast cable + internet since '00, and it's been nothing short of fantastic.

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"