News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Hidden Job Market

Started by pioneer, November 09, 2006, 07:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pioneer

Hello,

I am posting this message here because I was not sure where else to post it.

I am trying to search out new career opportunities that may not necessarily be posted on the usual sites such as careerbuilder, monster, craigslist, etc.

In short, I would like to know if anyone on this board knows of any IT Helpdesk (Tier 2) or LAN Administration full-time permanent positions that may be available at their current place of employment or those of someone they know.

I am seeking companies that would be at most 1 hour drive from Berwyn.  Western Suburbs or Chicago Loop would be ideal.

If anyone has any information about an available position, please IM me.

Thanks!

OakParkSpartan

Try dice.com.  A buddy got a job at the Merc from that site.

The one problem with the Helpdesk in many large corps is that those folks now sit in Bangalore.  However, the Small/medium business market still has a demand.

Are you Unix or Winders?   Network skills?

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

My pal just got a spot at Hines doing Tier 2 VoIP support.  Not exactly ssure how he got it, but he's a big fan of Monster. 
Doesn't get much closer than that.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

pioneer

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on November 09, 2006, 09:56:53 PM
Try dice.com.  A buddy got a job at the Merc from that site.

The one problem with the Helpdesk in many large corps is that those folks now sit in Bangalore.  However, the Small/medium business market still has a demand.

Are you Unix or Winders?   Network skills?

Cheers,
Brian

Thanks!  I was not aware of the Dice.com site, will check it out.

Yes, you are correct about the large corps.  No Unix, just Windows and some Novell.  Tier 2 Networking skills for now.

pioneer

Quote from: Bonster on November 09, 2006, 11:59:19 PM
My pal just got a spot at Hines doing Tier 2 VoIP support.  Not exactly ssure how he got it, but he's a big fan of Monster. 
Doesn't get much closer than that.

I did see quite a few opportunities at Hines and also with the Fed Gov in general.  Applied about a week ago to a couple of positions with the Hines VA and the Gov't.

Do you know how long it took your friend to apply and then actually get a call back/hired?

I have had response times from the private sector of anywhere from 1 day to three weeks, so I wonder what kind of response time the public sector works on?

Thanks!

scoon

Quote from: pioneer on November 10, 2006, 09:16:24 AM
I have had response times from the private sector of anywhere from 1 day to three weeks, so I wonder what kind of response time the public sector works on?

From what I've seen...  well, don't hold your breath.

Check out craigslist too.  Many smaller companies post on there.

Bonster

Quote from: pioneer on November 10, 2006, 09:16:24 AM

Do you know how long it took your friend to apply and then actually get a call back/hired?

I didn't really ask questions, just congratulated him on the hire.
I'll have to shoot an email to him, as I haven't talked to him since he got it two months ago.

tgoddess

Pioneer,

You might also try the "contract-to-hire" route.  I did that recently when I was laid off this summer.  Tek Systems (http://www.teksystems.com) and Sierra (http://www.sierraits.com) usually have quite a few postings.

Honestly, the tough part (for me) was finding something downtown or nearby.  Most places in the city outsource to "low cost geographies", as Brian mentioned.   You wouldn't believe the number calls I got for interviews, but most were north of Schaumburg (I ended up taking a gig in Rolling Meadows, and honesetly I would NOT recommend this commute from/to Berwyn to ANYONE--took me over two hours to get home in the rain on Friday).

Good luck in your search!

"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Matryoshka

Pioneer;
Try Terrace Paper, @ 1325 Cicero Ave, in Cicero...I used to work there and @ that time, they were undergoing a major expansion -

Bonster

Quote from: tgoddess on November 12, 2006, 05:57:08 AM
You wouldn't believe the number calls I got for interviews, but most were north of Schaumburg (I ended up taking a gig in Rolling Meadows, and honesetly I would NOT recommend this commute from/to Berwyn to ANYONE--took me over two hours to get home in the rain on Friday).

Same here, tgoddess, though my commute was a buck - 15, including a stop for a Frosty.  Only twice have I gone over that in three years: once due to injudiciously taking Roosevelt (more often than not, a bad move), and during that wicked snowstorm last year (3 hours of fun!).

I'll have to put together my routes...I have about four of them, with about 5 or 6 alternatives within those.  Guaranteed one hour trek in almost any condition.

OakParkSpartan

I did a gig up at Abbot Labs in North Chicago.   THAT commute sucked...especially the night it took 4 hours to get home in a snow storm...
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

Before putting together my routes, here's my Eisenhower Expy "secret," dictating whether or not I stay on or get off at Mannheim:

Just before the 290 curve, or the 294 S exit ramp, I tune to IDOT radio 1610AM.  They is the only station that gives times at Thorndale, 83, Wolf, AND Harlem. 
i.e. "from Wolf Road, 26 minutes; from Harlem 12 minutes"
If it's 16 minutes or less to Harlem, stay on the Ike.  Stay to the left, also...
More than 16, I can usually get to Harlem & Cermak just as quick by getting off.

--------
I don't take Roosevelt often, though it's tempting.  Although I'm in North Berwyn, the speed, number of lights, and overall traffic makes it longer than going to Cermak, and trekin'  back up Harlem to the Funkytown border (16th). 
- Cermak is 40MPH, has only one light between Mannheim & 17th, then another "lightless" stretch to 1st Avenue (stay to the right as it thins out when widening to three lanes).  Surprisingly, the backups by the mall move fairly well, and you can make your left on Harlem in decent time.  After all, this is the Wild Wild West.

tgoddess

Bonster...Good tips. In fact, that's what I've been doing (I do usually end up having to bail at Mannheim), but I'll try your suggestion about checking that traffic radio station--that hadn't occurred to me!

Thanks!
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

scoon

This is more for southsiders....

I usually get off at Mannheim and depending on the situation at the Roosevelt intersection I'll sometimes turn onto Roos...  usually when no one is in the left turn lane.  I'll take Roos to 17th Ave, sometimes bailing onto a side street as early as 25th Ave and then taking 13th St to 21st Ave which turns into Central and dumps onto 17th Ave.

Then I can cross over Cermak and turn left at the first light south, 23rd St.  Then turn right onto 14th Ave and keep following the tree line until it turns into 26th st. 

Sometimes I'll also continue down Mannheim to 31st and then cut thru Riverside or just cut over to 26th cause I hate driving thru Riverside.

Or just spend some time staring at Google maps for ideas.

Ted

I have to drive to and from St. Charles every day and I always take Rt 83 south to Roosevelt, Roosevelt to Wolf Road, Rolf Road to Cermak, Cermak to 1st avenue or Des Plaines and then take one of those raods to either 26th street or just drive through Riverside on Delaplane.

I think anyone taking the I290 south might want to try getting off at Rt 83 and taking Rt 83 south to Roosevelt. Roosevelt from Rt 83 to Wolf Road is all highway.

Ted

Bonster

Good stuff, Ted.

I cut over to Cermak at York Road, though, as Roosevelt can get backed up good at Wolf.  Now that the construction is (mostly) done, it's not so backed up.  If you don't mind paying 40¢ for a one block cruise, hit 294 from Roosevelt to Cermak and you're there in a heartbeat  ;)

scoon

If I could steer this back to the job market topic for a second...

If anyone knows of a contract tech writing position opening up around the start of the year, preferrably downtown (or easily commuted to from Berwyn) please let me know.

Conversely, if you know of any tech writers who might be interested in a position in Rosemont, please let me know as well.

Thanks.