Berwyn Historic Preservation Meeting 10/6 - Ever wonder whats' in it for you??

Started by truman40, September 24, 2009, 08:16:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

truman40

Berwyn Mayor Robert J. Lovero and the Berwyn Historic Preservation Commission have scheduled a special public meeting Tuesday, October 6 at 7 p.m. at Berwyn City Hall, 6700 West 26th Street, to inform newly elected officials and the public about preservation resources available to the Berwyn community.  This information will open people's eyes to the economic value of preserving history, including programs that have significant tax incentives for historic preservation.   

The October 6 meeting will feature speakers from the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Landmarks Illinois and the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency.  They will address grants, financial incentives for historic buildings, and the reuse of historic buildings being the ultimate "green" initiative.

The activities of the Berwyn Historic Preservation Commission, the community's Certified Local Government status, and Berwyn Main Street initiatives will also be discussed.

The public is encouraged to attend the meeting.  For more information contact the Berwyn Historic Preservation Commission at (708) 788-2660 ext. 3225 or e-mail bhpc@ci.berwyn.il.us.
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

n01_important

Since when did Lover care about Historic Preservation?  Didn't he chuckle at the Sear's home getting razed?   ???

Seems like a good workshop though, in spite of the intentions of the organizers.
Stupid fuck

truman40

Well hopefully this will help people realize that you can have historic preservation and progress at the same time.
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: truman40 on September 25, 2009, 08:25:11 AM
Well hopefully this will help people realize that you can have historic preservation and progress at the same time.

Folks would do well to take a drive up to Racine, Milawaukee or Sheboygan to see how you can have development and preservation.  They are NOT mutually exclusive.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

truman40

Never been to Racine or Sheboygan but Milwaukee's 3rd Ward is an awesome area. I think the problem we have in Berwyn is people from opposite camps painting the other side as radical. I don't think anyone feels we need to save EVERY building in Berwyn and I don't think the Mayor want to tear down everything. There are certainly some historic buildings worth saving and there are builds that are so neglected that there is no other alternative but to raze and build new.
I hope there is a large enough turn-out to show support for perserving some of Berwyn's history.
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

n01_important

Quote from: truman40 on September 25, 2009, 10:14:22 AM
Never been to Racine or Sheboygan but Milwaukee's 3rd Ward is an awesome area. I think the problem we have in Berwyn is people from opposite camps painting the other side as radical. I don't think anyone feels we need to save EVERY building in Berwyn and I don't think the Mayor want to tear down everything. There are certainly some historic buildings worth saving and there are builds that are so neglected that there is no other alternative but to raze and build new.
I hope there is a large enough turn-out to show support for perserving some of Berwyn's history.

and when we build new, we could build new buildings that add to the current character of the neighborhood.
Stupid fuck

Venn Diagram

This should be a good meeting.  People are coming from Springfield to explain how to benefit from these programs.  The only way to make preservation work is to make it economically viable - hence the incentives, many of which go unclaimed because people don't know about them.  Business owners thinking of rehabbing an old building might be especially interested. 

VD

n01_important

I take it video conferencing to save the tax payers money in transportation was out of the question.
Stupid fuck

Nazerac

It would have been difficult, with all the alderpersons having their backs turned to the camera.

Terri

Quote from: truman40 on September 24, 2009, 08:16:13 AM
Berwyn Mayor Robert J. Lovero and the Berwyn Historic Preservation Commission have scheduled a special public meeting Tuesday, October 6 at 7 p.m. at Berwyn City Hall, 6700 West 26th Street, to inform newly elected officials and the public about preservation resources available to the Berwyn community.  This information will open people's eyes to the economic value of preserving history, including programs that have significant tax incentives for historic preservation.   

The October 6 meeting will feature speakers from the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Landmarks Illinois and the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency.  They will address grants, financial incentives for historic buildings, and the reuse of historic buildings being the ultimate "green" initiative.

The activities of the Berwyn Historic Preservation Commission, the community's Certified Local Government status, and Berwyn Main Street initiatives will also be discussed.

The public is encouraged to attend the meeting.  For more information contact the Berwyn Historic Preservation Commission at (708) 788-2660 ext. 3225 or e-mail bhpc@ci.berwyn.il.us.

Tonight at 7pm, City Hall.

http://www.berwyn-il.gov/pdf/MtgAgendas/2009/20091006-CowAgenda.pdf