News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Houby Ready

Started by Nazerac, September 28, 2009, 03:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYWREB

I believe the events you posted, MOST of them are summertime - meaning, kids do not have school the next morning. 

Bonster

Quote from: JSlaught on October 06, 2009, 02:32:40 PM
Personally I wouldn't call anyone. I would go to CC and in open forum respectfully convey my displeasure with the event. I agree that no outdoor event should go beyond 9pm on a Sunday or any school night. As far as the Saturday festivities, I feel you will not get anywhere.
+1 

And as JSlaught stated, do it respectfully.    Not like Bonster on BTF. :-*

Agree about Saturdays, too.  Sometimes you gotta suck it up for a day.  You know, take one for Team Berwyn. :usa:
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

tony la

Quote from: scungili on October 06, 2009, 04:05:33 PM
I dunno why I'm opening my mouth here ... but Retro on Roscoe, Lincoln Square Ribfest, Arlington Hts. Frontier Days all go till 10 pm on Sundays and they have bands playing that late.  St. Ben's Oktoberfest goes till 9 on Sunday.  Naperville Ribfest doesn't count so much because it's a greater distance from homes but it still goes till 10 on a Sunday.  I'm sure there are more but I haven't attended those.

All these events project music for a good distance.  The above events also bring in alot of people to enjoy the event.  I'm sure these events have pissed off a neighbor or two.  But it's one weekend out of the year.  Maybe if the Czech Oasis gets some support & gets some bands with more draw it'll be an event that people from outside of Berwyn will come to, spend money & hopefully return to spend more money.  Hasn't that been a running theme here on BTF about how to improve things in Berwyn?  Or at least a way to attract DINKS and the likes with more disposable income?

This is an urban community with lots of people per square mile (or foot if you prefer) & sometimes, as someone else posted, you just need to deal with it.  I really don't mean to be insensitive and I wasn't in your home to experience the excessive noise, but it's a once a year weekend event that could benefit the community if it grows.

+1

If there were more complaints, I wish they would surface to give validity to your concern.  If our goal is to bring people to Berwyn to showcase it.....then that is probably the best location for it.  It probably should end at 9.  It was not constant on Saturday, because they stooped for 2-3 hours because of the rain.  That is why it ran long on Saturday.  

Many people came to Berwyn this weekend who did not even know where Berwyn was.  Groups like American English will do that.  They are playing again on 10/23 at Fitzgeralds.  One person I talked to actually thought Fitzgeralds was in Oak Park.  It was a good event.  I wish I could do something for the people that had a hard time dealing with the noise.    
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Bonster

Quote from: tony la on October 06, 2009, 04:55:04 PM
If there were more complaints, I wish they would surface to give validity to your concern. 
Where would you prefer people to complain, on BTF?
When they do, you complain about it, as in this thread when you made something political which wasn't.

If our goal is to bring people to Berwyn to showcase it.....then that is probably the best location for it.
I disagree.  The location across the street served that purpose better IMHO.  This location was too cramped.  Folks spent their time scrunched between two buildings.  Many parked on Vacin, coming in from the back.  If you drove too fast you risked missing it.
Across the street it was more spacious, better seating, open to the rest of Cermak, encouraging folks to stop by.

tony la

Quote from: Bonster on October 06, 2009, 05:14:06 PM
If there were more complaints, I wish they would surface to give validity to your concern. 
Where would you prefer people to complain, on BTF?
When they do, you complain about it, as in this thread when you made something political which wasn't.

If our goal is to bring people to Berwyn to showcase it.....then that is probably the best location for it.
I disagree.  The location across the street served that purpose better IMHO.  This location was too cramped.  Folks spent their time scrunched between two buildings.  Many parked on Vacin, coming in from the back.  If you drove too fast you risked missing it.
Across the street it was more spacious, better seating, open to the rest of Cermak, encouraging folks to stop by.

Across the street was fine too.  But if your thinking of taking it off of Cermak Road IMHO, it defeats the purpose of the whole event.
WWW.TONYLA.NET

tony la

You know Bon...... U definitely have to chill.........

I was referring to the fact that I only heard one or two people complain about the noise.  When probably 100 or more people live on the block.  I know I saw renters in the building across the street that were jamming all day Sunday, and enjoying the view.  Way too many times, a select few voice their opinions on a subject, and policy is changed to comfort those few.    THERE IS NOTHING POLITICAL ABOUT IT.
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Berwyn Patsy

If it were me, and I hated the noise as much as you did, I'd complain,
just as you did, but I would be planning a weekend get away for
me and hubby next year.  I do understand "venting" though, I
hope it made you feel better.

Berwyn Patsy

How many years has Houby weekend been around?
I wonder how many complaints through the years have been reported.

Bonster

Quote from: tony la on October 06, 2009, 06:14:11 PM
You know Bon...... U definitely have to chill.........

I was referring to the fact that I only heard one or two people complain about the noise.  When probably 100 or more people live on the block.  I know I saw renters in the building across the street that were jamming all day Sunday, and enjoying the view.  Way too many times, a select few voice their opinions on a subject, and policy is changed to comfort those few.    THERE IS NOTHING POLITICAL ABOUT IT.

Speak for yourself, guy.  You made the previous legitimate complaints about an embarrassing display for our city political when they were brought to light here on BTF.  I guess you don't mind that kind of bad pub. for our city.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on October 06, 2009, 06:56:31 PM
How many years has Houby weekend been around?
I wonder how many complaints through the years have been reported.

This was the first year it was located in that particular location.  Four years ago, there was a parade and that was about it.  Three years ago, I distinctly remember a set of speakers playing music in that space and some very drunk people sitting on the curb and then dancing for a while.  That's all that was happening on that particular block.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Diona

Why should my husband & I leave our home & our pets for a weekend because of inconsiderate people that put a frigging bandstand 20 feet from apartments? 

I've never had a complaint before with the Houby Fest & I've been a resident by those apartments for 8-9 years.  As I stated before in here I believe 2-3 hours of the band like previous years was always just fine.

Oh excuse me Tony La, so those 2-3 hours of no music I should be grateful for when the majority of the time it was earth shattering my home?  How about next year we put the bandstand behind your house all day thumping?  Oh & another thing Tony La, my concern to you isn't valid because more people didn't complain?  How do you know more people didn't complain? They may not have come here to make it public, they may have called the BPD or talked to the mayor or whatever.  If I buy a house I will not be going to your Remax as I know how you feel about the residents.

Many fests for different towns have their fest in their PARKS, not on the street.  LaGrange has/had a craft fest with rides, but they've never been so inconsiderate of their residents as to have a band playing outside their back door for hours & HOURS.

I may sound pissy, but some of the posters here just don't care at all about the residents of Berwyn.  If these fests are supposed to bulster Berwyn's reputation, bring out the residents & also bring non-residents, wouldn't it be a good idea not to piss off the residents first?  Nobody thinks about that huh?

Sorry for the rant guys, but I've about gotten tired of the "suck it ups".  Now it's on to reading other threads & getting more involved.

Classof67

Hello, Diona,

If a weekend away isn't an option, how about a little community service?

For more details on the Oasis, to get involved or be part of the Czech Oasis and make Houby Fest 2010* even better, visit Berwyn Main Street, call (708) 484-8000 or email info@berwynmainstreet.org.

*my edit

Bonster

LOL, you evil bastard.

(participating in Houby Fest would not be a "community service"; it would make her complicit in the alleged crime against her community...  )

Diona

Quote from: Bonster on October 07, 2009, 10:37:25 AM
LOL, you evil bastard.

(participating in Houby Fest would not be a "community service"; it would make her complicit in the alleged crime against her community...  )

LOL...thank you Bonster! :D 

Although I could get to walk around all day with an orange shirt on drinking beer probably for free too...Oh sign me up!  ;D

Bonster

Yes, yes you could!  Come to the Dark Side, Diona!

I would like to work the Wishbone booth.  Give me a serving spoon to suck down free shrimp&mush grits.

seebee

Where was the Wishbone booth? Were they there on Sun? I must have had the blinders on.

I did get to try Josie's Dumplings. Always wondered about that joint. Mushroom gravy was good. Sauerkraut/mushroom pierogies were ok.
As always, got our tamale on at Tamale Hut Cafe booth. The Tacos Y Salsa booth is a tease. They were char grilling steak at Oktoberfest, and also at Houbyfest, but when you go to their shop, it's the same griddle fried blah steak that every cheap taqueria slops out. Their salsas always rock tho. Oooh speaking of tacos....update to the Bars Club Resto section coming soon.

Bonster

Wishbone was right next to  (north of) the beer booth on Saturday.

GREAT point about Tacos Y Salsa - much better on the road than at home w/the char action. :D

tony la

Quote from: Diona on October 07, 2009, 07:35:34 AM
Why should my husband & I leave our home & our pets for a weekend because of inconsiderate people that put a frigging bandstand 20 feet from apartments?  

I've never had a complaint before with the Houby Fest & I've been a resident by those apartments for 8-9 years.  As I stated before in here I believe 2-3 hours of the band like previous years was always just fine.

Oh excuse me Tony La, so those 2-3 hours of no music I should be grateful for when the majority of the time it was earth shattering my home?  How about next year we put the bandstand behind your house all day thumping?  Oh & another thing Tony La, my concern to you isn't valid because more people didn't complain?  How do you know more people didn't complain? They may not have come here to make it public, they may have called the BPD or talked to the mayor or whatever.  If I buy a house I will not be going to your Remax as I know how you feel about the residents.

Many fests for different towns have their fest in their PARKS, not on the street.  LaGrange has/had a craft fest with rides, but they've never been so inconsiderate of their residents as to have a band playing outside their back door for hours & HOURS.

I may sound pissy, but some of the posters here just don't care at all about the residents of Berwyn.  If these fests are supposed to bulster Berwyn's reputation, bring out the residents & also bring non-residents, wouldn't it be a good idea not to piss off the residents first?  Nobody thinks about that huh?

Sorry for the rant guys, but I've about gotten tired of the "suck it ups".  Now it's on to reading other threads & getting more involved.

Diona,

I know you are upset....you do not know me.  I am one of the few Realtors that actually live in Berwyn.  I am a resident.  I do not know if anyone else complained, just my point.  If it was a problem with others, than those people need to come forth on any platform they can find.  I would have no problem with it in my back yard, but then again that is me.  I understand everyone does not feel the same way I do.

I am truly sorry that it irritated you so much.  You really need to find others that feel the same way you do, and come to city council and voice your opinion.  How do you think such events happen.  They happen when more than one person comes up with an idea, they find people who feel the same way they do, and put a plan into action.  

If you feel as a resident, that Berwyn does not need this.  Or it needs to be in another place.  Speak up so more people can hear you. But make sure it is not just you.  

I know for a fact that some Businesses were hurt financially from the fest.  But I know long term they see the advantages.  

Please don't fault RE/MAX.  They have nothing to do with my opinions.

WWW.TONYLA.NET

BRoWN

Diona, I too am sorry you were upset by the noise. When I said deal with it, wear earplugs or leave for the weekend I was simply giving you a suggestion to combat the problem for you.  Seems with anything anyone does someone else will always not be happy. The festival could have been held anywhere and someone is bound to have a problem with the location. You can't please everyone all the time when organizing these type events.

OakParkSpartan

I think ending the thing at a reasonable hour on a Sunday evening would be helpful.

Stop at 5pm and at least kids can get homework done.

As far as being told leave your home, what if you have kids and they have school the next day?  Or homework to do? 
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato