Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Houby Ready

Started by Nazerac, September 28, 2009, 03:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

tony la

I have been wrong before, but I believe this will be one of the best Houby Fest that we have had in a long time.  I for one will be there every second of both days enjoying. 
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Bonster

So what do you have against the Headspins & Hamburglars?

OakParkSpartan

Looks like someone at MainStreet reads BTF, as the updated flyer they emailed has all the corrections noted here.

BTW, wonder how they are coming with their designation?  It is 3.5 years since they started and just several $100k down the drain. 
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

tony la

Quote from: Bonster on October 01, 2009, 11:35:36 AM
Nothing,  I can't wait.  Reguardless of how all of us feel about who is running this event.  Let's all support it and enjoy.  Tomarrow is not guaranteed to nobody.
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Nazerac

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on October 02, 2009, 10:33:39 AM
Looks like someone at MainStreet reads BTF, as the updated flyer they emailed has all the corrections noted here.

BTW, wonder how they are coming with their designation?  It is 3.5 years since they started and just several $100k down the drain. 

I was waiting for this.  Can you post?  There's one more correction I kept to myself.

Bonster

It doesn't have all the corrections noted; at least not what I'm clicking on from berwyn.net
I think it was the BDC slapping MainStreet about for submitting such a foolish piece for public display.  I hope this isn't printed and hanging anywhere in town.

Bonster

Quote from: Nazerac on October 02, 2009, 11:18:42 AM

I was waiting for this.  Can you post?  There's one more correction I kept to myself.

Two, both which I listed in my original post.

Are these grammatical and spelling errors expected by someone educated in the Berwyn public elementary school system?
Is this the level of intelligence the BDC wants to promote adjacent to their "Why Berwyn?" efforts?
Granted, they're about business, not education, yet it is well-known folks have been fleeing Berwyn for better schools for years. 
Don't publicly aid that cause.

it's   -   the equivalent of the you're/your virus many suffer on public forums.  Not acceptable for a display promoting our city. 
(for those of you still wondering, it reads "We are returning the fest back to it is Czech roots.")

Hamburglers  -  Seriously?  I know bands often create their own words, but their posters (above in post 20), website, submissions, and even the root word "burglar" has no "e."

Bonster

Quote from: tony la on October 02, 2009, 11:12:02 AM
Quote from: Bonster on October 01, 2009, 11:35:36 AM
Nothing,  I can't wait.  Reguardless of how all of us feel about who is running this event.  Let's all support it and enjoy.  Tomarrow is not guaranteed to nobody.

This has nothing to do with who's running what; at least not from my standpoint.  I like many of the folks in MainStreet - who assuredly did not have anything to do with this garbage.
Reading your posts it's not surprising you would take this to be political.

tony la

Bon my dear friend,

The world is gray.........not black and white.
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Bonster

So profound I almost fainted...

EC

According to Webster, it's is the contraction, meaning "it is" and its is the possesive.

Now do people understand?

n01_important

Understand?  Yes
Care?  No.

If someone will pay me for typing... I'll be the first in line to get schooled on that stuff.
Stupid fuck

seebee

Quote from: n01_important on October 02, 2009, 02:16:34 PM
Understand?  Yes
Care?  No.

If someone will pay me for typing... I'll be the first in line to get schooled on that stuff.
I definitely understand what you're saying, but don't expect me to hire you for a job, or take you seriously if you write like a 2nd grader.
If I'm looking at a resume for instance, if you refuse to use correct words to represent yourself, sorry, I would highly assume that you would not function properly. If you don't even care to represent yourself correctly, then obviously, there isn't much you care about, especially the work for someone else. Now, trust me, I understand what you've written here, n01, but the people who choose to write like that should probably also understand what I've written as well. Which is this:
The people who read your writing (not you, N01, but the ppl who choose to write incorrectly) are thinking to themselves, "wow, this person is a complete f*&*&^% idiot."

There are two sides to that as well: Either you were taught by an idiot, or you are not smart enough to comprehend. You have to understand, that if you are writing to represent yourself and your ideas (not talking face to face) ppl form an opinion about you AND about the message you are trying to convey from the words you write. There can be no other way to infer those ideas since we only have words on paper to use. If those words are spelled incorrectly, and misused, then the reader is left thinking, "Why should I take that seriously if the writer did not take it seriously? How much of that information is even correct? Did a 2nd grader write that?"

Of course, 1337 5pe4k is a whole different ballgame, and would send my k-6 grammar teachers reeling to their graves.

And what genius started this trend of showing pluralism by using apostrophe s?

Lol - hope I didn't make any mistakes in that post.

Also, n01, this was really not directed at you. I really do understand what you wrote, and that's fine, but you have to understand that ppl who were taught to use English correctly probably had it beaten into their head, so it irks them. Classic learned response. Was it correct that my teachers taught me English? Well, back then, it was required of teachers to teach. Back in my day, nobody cared about those ISAT things. We all aced them. They seemed like tests on the stuff we learned the year before. These days, it seems like teachers are required to coach students on how to pass government issued tests. Which in turn, creates zombies who can pass tests, but have virtually no idea how to apply knowledge to life since their knowledge has only ever been applied to a multiple choice question.

P.S. There are plenty of ppl who will pay you for typing. PLENTY.

n01_important

I mistype at this site.  A lot.  I try to proof read and catch many mistakes... but not all.

We also have to look at it this way.   I agree if we were writing a resume, if that person can't proof read, find someone who who can.  Alternative?  Don't count on getting the job.  I have put resumes in the garbage once I came up to a typo (logic being if a dumb fuck like can find one... there must be many many more and this person must not be serious about this job).

We don't pay anyone to write here... yea, it would be nice if some typos were fixed.  I'm sure those are pet peeves of many.  But we either go to therapy to help us deal with the idiosyncrasies of others or we remain frustrated, lonely individuals.
Stupid fuck

Bonster

I don't mind typos ................... unless by someone PAID to use proper grammar, spelling, and information - such as on a flyer/poster/banner representing MY city for an event like HOUBY DAY.   (Doesn't look too good by BoE members, either.) 

seebee

To take that a step further, Bonster, I'm betting that there was more than one person involved in creating that rough draft (let's hope it was a rough draft anyway, huh?) Also, I think you were putting it very nicey-nice by saying (It) "Doesn't look too good by BoE member, either."

I'd say thet it makes them look like total F%^&*&% idiots.

n01_important

Did anyone go to the festival?  I tried but got rained out.
Stupid fuck

Berwyn Patsy

Happy Houby Day everyone!  Hope today is a better day in the
wheather department!

Ted

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on October 04, 2009, 07:04:28 AM
Happy Houby Day everyone!  Hope today is a better day in the
wheather department!

Pat, did you misspell that on purpose?  ...  <LOL>

Ted