News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Houby Ready

Started by Nazerac, September 28, 2009, 03:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

Quote from: seebee on October 03, 2009, 11:13:24 AM
I definitely understand what you're saying, but don't expect me to hire you for a job, or take you seriously if you write like a 2nd grader.

I think there is a difference between what people type on a post on BTF and other types of writing and presentation. I often type fast and do not always re-read what I write.  I often hit a key that I don't mean to hit amd sometimes I use its rather than it's. or I misspell something. As long as people can understand the content and ideas behind what is written, I think that's OK on a discussion board.

Berwyn Patsy

LOL!!  I was just testing all you sharp minds out there!!

buzz

Quote from: Ted on October 04, 2009, 07:37:04 AM
As long as people can understand the content and ideas behind what is written, I think that's OK on a discussion board.
+1
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Ted

... And what genius started this trend of showing pluralism by using apostrophe s?

How does one show the plural of an acronym without it appearing that the letter "s" is part of the acronym? What about letter of the alphabet or numbers?  What is the plural of 1?  Is it 1s?  Or is it 1's? 

What is the plural of the letter x?  Is it xs?  Or is it x's?

How would you write the following sentence:

He made sure he dotted his i's and crossed his t's? 
OR He made sure he dotted his is and crossed his ts?

Without the apostrophe to show the plural of the letter i, it would look like the word "is"

Here is what online Meredith says:

http://www.meredith.edu/grammar/plural.htm#apostrophe 

Plural forms and the apostrophe (Bedford 36/Hodges')
A common error is to form the plural of a noun by adding "'s" to the singular form. Try to get out the habit of doing this. A trick for remembering that the apostrophe signifies the plural is that possessive means "having," and so the posessive form of the word "has" an apostrophe. How do you tell the difference in between plural and possessive?  Check the meaning of the sentence. Does the noun simply refer to more than one thing? Or does the sentence mention something that belongs to the noun?

Although usage has changed in recent years, some handbooks call for an apostrophe in the plural forms of numbers, letters, and words used as words:

How many 1's do we have in the line?
We put x's on the incorrect answers.
The no's resounded loudly throughout the chamber.

Bonster

Quote from: n01_important on October 03, 2009, 10:34:22 PM
Did anyone go to the festival?  I tried but got rained out.

I did.  The rain worked to my advantage - they gave me an extra large helping of shrimp & mushroom grits from the Wishbone stand since so few were buying.  OMFG.  If I was around today I'd be back there for lunch, snack, & dinner.

They had the ORIGINAL poster with all those elementary mistakes (including the incorrect band schedules) hanging everywhere.  Pathetic.  Didn't affect my shrimp & mushroom grits, though.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

seebee

Quote from: Ted on October 04, 2009, 07:32:49 AM
Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on October 04, 2009, 07:04:28 AM
Happy Houby Day everyone!  Hope today is a better day in the
wheather department!

Pat, did you misspell that on purpose?  ...  <LOL>

Ted

Check MINE out though:

Quote from: seebee on October 03, 2009, 10:19:07 PM
I'd say thet it makes them look like total F%^&*&% idiots.

seebee

Quote from: Ted on October 04, 2009, 09:43:26 AM
... And what genius started this trend of showing pluralism by using apostrophe s?

How does one show the plural of an acronym without it appearing that the letter "s" is part of the acronym? What about letter of the alphabet or numbers?  What is the plural of 1?  Is it 1s?  Or is it 1's? 

What is the plural of the letter x?  Is it xs?  Or is it x's?

Well, Ted, I have to apologize to you and everyone else. I worded my question incorrectly and made you waste your time. I'm sorry. My question should have been this:

What genius started this trend of showing pluralism by using apostrophe s (except for Ted's examples?)

So, to answer your question, I have a short way and a long way.
The short way:
To show pluralization of something that can be considered confusing, do not abbreviate. Write it out longhand using a befitting phrase.
Quote from: Ted

The way I would write this is:
He made sure he dotted his instances of the letter i and crossed his instances of the letter t.
We all know that that's an English phrase of familiarity, however, so all bets are off.

The long answer to your question is this:
That's not what I meant, I'll explain later. Going to my first Houbyfest now.

Crunchie

So, Seebee, can you explain why you spell the word "people" as "ppl?" I'm not trying to pick on you, and I think you generally exhibit an above-average control of English grammar and spelling rules, so I am at a loss to explain your treatment of "people?"

Classof67

Quote from: Crunchie on October 04, 2009, 06:20:17 PM
So, Seebee, can you explain why you spell the word "people" as "ppl?" I'm not trying to pick on you, and I think you generally exhibit an above-average control of English grammar and spelling rules, so I am at a loss to explain your treatment of "people?"

Blog-speak, Crnchy

billyjean

I use ppl.  Because I too like many have developed some shorthand to cut down on typing entire words.  Just a few that I use.  I picked it up from blogging and chat rooms, emails.  You'd be surprised how many ppl have reverted to what I call internet shorthand.  I think for me it started way back when ppl would type kwel.  I thought what the hell is kwel.  It's cool. :coreyhart:  On the other hand, I am not among those that constantly point out grammar/spelling mistakes of other posters in order to prop myself up as superior. 

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Crunchie

Quote from: Classof67 on October 04, 2009, 06:24:50 PM

Blog-speak, Crnchy
I know. My point was that it seems to be at odds with the intentions of someone who is lecturing and pontificating about the proper usage of the English language.

seebee

Quote from: Classof67 on October 04, 2009, 06:24:50 PM

Blog-speak, Crnchy

Yes, but really no. The abbreviation for the word people has been in use long before netspeak or leet speak. What's funny to me is that I actually left out the proper period at the end of the abbreviation, but I actually thought about it. My teachers really did a number on me.

Ted

I think it would be awkward to write "the instances of the letter i" rather than i's.

I was just pointing out that there are valid cases where an apostrophe followed by the letter s is used to for the plural form. I think it is becoming more true in today's world with the increasing use of acronyms and abbreviations.  Those are the other cases where I have seen apostrophe followed by s because acronyms and abbreviations do not lend themselves to becoming plural just by adding the letter s. The apostrophe is needed to distinguish the letters of the acronym or abbreviation.

Ted

seebee

Awkward? Yes, but it's my contention that it would be awkward to you because you already know the saying. It's quite possible that sentence could be written with a semicolon, an ampersand, a grave, a tilde, a heise, and an ellipse, but anyone really familiar with English would know how to read it - it's a popular saying. Throw that sentence to a 30 yr old Chinese guy who has studied proper English and is considered fluent, well, there's a chance he'll have no idea what that sentence means, or how to read it.

You are 100% correct, and again, I apologize for wasting your time with my ambiguity. My question was directed at the usage of apostrophe s to show pluralism (or is it plurality?) like this:

"I like these forum's."
"I had two hot dog's for lunch with extra pickle's."
"I had french fry's on the side."

When I lived in Denver, I actually saw a street sign that read, "No Left Turn's." It was NOT a handwritten sign. It was a normal, metal stamped, machine made sign attached to a street light probably made by and paid for by state or city dollars.

Anyway, I strolled through Houby Fest yesterday. Holy BALLS! E of Ridgeland was a flippin party. Lots of ppl, lots of rides, lots of funnel cakes. In the oasis W of Ridgeland, I caught Voodoo Monkey Child for a few songs. Wasn't my favorite style of music, but the young lady from Voodoo Monkey Child had a really decent voice, imo. A few of the rides were a step up from the Oktoberfest selection. I really wasn't expecting it to be as grand as it was. I was pleasantly surprised by both fests this year.
Go BERWYN!!

seebee

Quote from: billyjean on October 04, 2009, 06:30:09 PM
...I think for me it started way back when ppl would type kwel.  I thought what the hell is kwel.  It's cool. :coreyhart:  On the other hand, I am not among those that constantly point out grammar/spelling mistakes of other posters in order to prop myself up as superior. 

Um i 7h1|\|k u m34|\|7 2 r173 "kewl" |\|0?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Not to point out mistakes for the sake of pointing out mistakes, but simply because in your context it's funny. Hell, I spelled a word wrong in a sentence bashing other people for spelling words wrong in this thread. And furthermore, I'll bet that I used leet wrong above, even though leet peeps will surely be able to understand it.

P.s. ":coreyhart" for the sunglass gif? Never knew that one, hilarious. That's worth spelling out hilarious as opposed to an lol.

Diona

Quote from: n01_important on October 03, 2009, 10:34:22 PM
Did anyone go to the festival?  I tried but got rained out.

I didn't even have to go to the Houby Day as it was right behind where I live & my husband & I had to deal with the LOUD, wall/window shaking bands ALL WEEKEND!!

I have been a long time lurker here on the site & what happened over the weekend compelled me to sign up here to raise my public complaint on BTF.

Who's idea was it to put a HUGE bandstand like we are a concert hall pretty much on the corner of Cermak & Elmwood?  Oh about 20 feet away from the building I live in with a bunch of other hard working tenants/residents?  Is it because we don't own a home & pay property taxes that we as renters don't count?

On Saturday evening about 4:30pm my husband & I had totally had it with the earth shattering bumping of second rate bands & we called the BPD.  I was told that we had to find an officer on site & talk to them about it.  So, we go out in the rain find an officer & he immediately knew what we were talking about, like we weren't the first to complain (with his ear plugs in).  I asked him who the coordinator was & he took us right to who I believe is the 4th ward alderman Skyrd, underneath the Miller Lite 3 keg trailer.  She put her beer down very quickly to talk to us.  I approached her & asked her about the intense music & she gave us the brush off saying it's a public street.  Sure, it's a public street, but anyone who really cares about their constituents in the area & has 1/2 a brain would know putting this big old concert stage behind a bunch of apartments is extremely rude.  There are other streets where there are businesses behind them & the apartments are father behind so as not to disturb the residents all night.  Then she proceeded to ask us about if we would like free parking tickets, I told her straight up we don't want the parking tickets we were here about the noise & can she at least turn it down a bit.  There wasn't more than 10 people that were drunk standing around listening to this in the cold rain.  She said she would get them to turn it down, but she needed an umbrella.  Well obviously, she didn't get her precious umbrella because it was even louder the rest of the night.  It even went overtime until 10:47pm when it should have been over at 10pm.  I had to call BPD 2 times to complain about this overage of band time.  

So all in all on Saturday we were subjected to over 11 hours worth of wall/window shaking bad music (sorry to say bad music, but after 11 freaking hours it was horrible).  

I say next year they put the band stand in front of their houses on their street so they can be realize just what they put us through.

Sunday during the day wasn't bad at all, until the Beatles wanna be band played & again, played an hour over.  I once again called the BPD & was told that the mayor gave them permission to play an hour over so we were looking at possibly 10:30pm of more of the same from Saturday on a Sunday night no less.  Do they really think that people that live in apartments in the immediate area don't work or don't care?  Well I have to say they do care & I cared a whole lot.  My husband & I work hard for a living & have to be up early & don't need to deal with this over a weekend that we actually had a weekend to ourselves to relax.  Instead we were stressed out & couldn't even relax in our home.

Who do you call when you can't call the BPD or even talk to your alderperson & they don't help out at least a little bit?  I wasn't looking/demanding for them to stop the band, just turn it down a bit.

Personally I think this was nothing but a politian fest throwing a party for her friends & her at our expense.

OakParkSpartan

I think you understand exactly what it was about.

After three years, I'd have thought they would have a bigger event. 
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Classof67

Quote from: Ted on October 05, 2009, 06:53:27 AM

I think it would be awkward to write "the instances of the letter i" rather than i's.

I was just pointing out that there are valid cases where an apostrophe followed by the letter s is used to for the plural form. I think it is becoming more true in today's world with the increasing use of acronyms and abbreviations.  Those are the other cases where I have seen apostrophe followed by s because acronyms and abbreviations do not lend themselves to becoming plural just by adding the letter s. The apostrophe is needed to distinguish the letters of the acronym or abbreviation.

Ted

+1  Who talks like that, Seebee?  I bet you NEVER end a sentence with a preposition.  :)

MRS. NORTHSIDER

"I approached her and asked her about the intense music and she gave us the brush off saying it's a public street".  Translation - go f*#* yourself!  It must be nice to be treated like that by an elected official of the town where you live.  I was starting to think to myself how unbelievable that is but quickly did a reality check and yes, it's totally believable here in Berwyn.