News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Landscaper recommendation

Started by plebeian gourmand, March 30, 2011, 07:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Pauly

In my last home, I sodded the front (instant gratification) and seeded the back.  It took me three years to get the back right, but I was working with about a half acre.

After both were established, there were no comparisons with front and back - I abused them equally (no watering) - the back lawn was thicker and more lush, more disease, grub and weed resistant, and would stay green for weeks longer than the sodded area.

If you like to stand there with a hose nightly, sod might be OK - for a lazy and cheap man like me, seed is the only way to go.

I still want to talk about grassless, Duke. 

dukesdad

OakParkSpartan

I planted part of my front yard with Illinois native plants.  They are built for this climate and do well with very little (very, very close to zero) maintenance.  Same with the area in the back yard.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

tgoddess

Boris has one of the most beautiful, lush AND lawn-less back and front yards I've ever seen.
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Ted

Quote from: Bungalocity on April 06, 2011, 09:59:16 AM
Quote from: dukesdad on March 30, 2011, 12:27:55 PM
Why don't you lose the grass altogether? Lot less trouble, less watering, and it can look good if you do it right.

booo!! hissss!!!!   :-*

Why boo/hiss?  I know three houses who had houses very close to the street (and therefore, very little front yard).  One replaced the grass with a natural garden while aother replaced the grass with a bricked bound little garden.  I think both lawns look better than if they did with a small path of grass.

I think it may be different if you have a large front lawn.  But, for small postage stamp size front lawns, replacing that patch of grass may be better looking.

plebeian gourmand

OK-
Bob wins this round.  I had them rake, aerate & seed.  I am not opposed to a grassless parkway.  :666: