"Berwyn really wasn’t giving us a lot of support ..."

Started by shrugger, February 22, 2006, 02:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruffian

I hope your right Bru ... I would love to see that whole damn thing torn down and begin anew with something young, fresh and modern.

mustang54

Id like to see him sell it and Ikea buy it and build there. That location would be superb for them and the city!

OakParkSpartan

Schaumburg is 300,000 sq ft, Bollingbrook is (I believe 200,000 sqft).  Plus parking.  I don't think you could fit something like that in the space.  And the traffic...forget using Cermak on a weekend!

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

mustang54

scoon

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on February 27, 2006, 04:12:46 PM
Schaumburg is 300,000 sq ft, Bollingbrook is (I believe 200,000 sqft).  Plus parking.  I don't think you could fit something like that in the space.  And the traffic...forget using Cermak on a weekend!

Cheers,
Brian

Ikea would have to go up.  Way up.  As would the parking ramp...  not sure that would be all that aesthetically pleasing.

But the meatballs would be nice.

I think Bru's idea of the lifestyle center is the way to go.  It's the biggest trend in retail right now and why not jump on board?  Best case scenario we could attract a little bit of high end retail and retain the local flavor of the Egg Store and D'Andrea's.  Problem is, the footprint is pretty small.

And I'm just not sure where the art comes in to play here.  Unfortunately I don't see it working with a modern lifestyle center.

OakParkSpartan

Sure it could.  I've seen some of those gadgets work, and they are kind of fun.  Kids like em.  So do some adults.  Make it fun. 

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

scoon

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on February 27, 2006, 04:47:21 PM
Sure it could.  I've seen some of those gadgets work, and they are kind of fun.  Kids like em.  So do some adults.  Make it fun. 

Cheers,
Brian

Sure... but the car kabob?  --  I love it, but I just don't know.

Suzy Q

At the plaza, I would love to see a Trader Joe's, Borders or Barnes & Noble, Starbucks, Crate & Barrel, a cute trendy restaurant, a Chef's catalog store, and an Amlings.  I think we do have a market for some if not all of these.  Maybe an upscale spa & salon would be fun.   I rarely shop in Berwyn and definitely not for clothes.

Bear

Ah yes Suzy Q...An upscale spa and salon at the plaza....

Wishfull thinking, but it brought back fond memories of the
early development of my God given talent as an entrepreneur.

Needless to say, I bailed out of the lemonade biz only one week into summer.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

niuhuskie

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on February 27, 2006, 11:58:06 AM
Art,

I think that is only part of the question.  The other part is how close are the company's other stores, and how close do they normall put them?  Whole Foods makes no sense, with one 2 miles up the road. 

One store that might have potential here is Barnes and Noble, as the nearest one is in Oak Brook.  Borders has 2 within 10-15 minutes of Berwyn, in La Grange and Oak Park.

But until the demographics of who shops in those malls/plazas change, I don't see much hope.

Cheers,
Brian

also, many of the chains that have come here (gap, etc), while still being a "gap", its still catering the clientele in the area. there is a vast difference between the hinsdale and oakbrook gap compared with the nr version. even the oak park version is head and shoulders above (which is the one i go to). you look at the clothes at the nr jc penny, and the one out near oakbrook and its like night and day. they are like 2 entirely different stores, from the cut of clothes (a biggie here), to the cleanliness of the stores. i can actually find clothes at that pennys i would actually wear! and thats why even when we do get these stores, people still continue to go further out.

as far as an ikea, dream on. besides that they would never come here, our traffic cannot support it. harlem during rush hour any day of the week is unbearable. have you ever seen the line of cars out in shaumburg? it would be a virtual logjam. we dont have our own little access road off the expressway like they do. i think the best option is to just flatten it and start over. however, as someone mentioned, all this guy is looking at is the bottom line. cermak plaza is just a line on his income statement. once it becomes unprofittable enough, thats when he'll divest.

Suzy Q

I think that NR mall forgets that not everybody around here wears "ghetto" clothes.  I just hate the fact this group of people is catered to.  Sadly, I too must travel further out to get normal clothes for my kids.  Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I think one still can be fashionable and trendy without looking like "Fifty-Cent" or a hooker.

Ana

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on February 27, 2006, 04:47:21 PM

Cheers,
Brian

Yes, my kids liked them also, but they don't work anymore.  The gong thingy doesn't have a rubber mallet to hit the cymbal looking things.  The ball maze (clock?) doesn't work.  No one is maintaining them and that is saddest part of all.  Why have it there if it doesn't do what it is supposed to do.  That is not the art as David Bermant wanted to display.  David Bermant died in 2000 (I don't know if anyone has mentioned it before).  I believe it is his son that is runing (or ruining, more appropriate) the Plaza now. 

http://www.davidbermantfoundation.org/about.html

Also, as far as shopping is concerned, I do a lot of it online because I don't want to deal with the traffic and I am in denial as to what type of people are moving to Berwyn or venturing here to shop.  Please don't slam me for this comment.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Bear

I think all of you are disturbed in thinking an "upscale" business entity
would even consider the Cermak Plaza as a viable place to open shop.

The hoopla over the disturbed parcel known as "superblock" amazes me
further. Everyone finds great pleasure in an Applebees?

No other corporate interest would ever be dumb enough to undertake such an endeavor

There is truly a nimrod there who thinks there is any ROI in that property development.
Daley's eastward contingency will make dining a new and interesting experience at the new
Applebee"s. Bon appetite boys and girls. I find it disturbing that such would whet your appetite.

"What you mean, I has to stand here an wait"

Have a nice meal.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Bru67

I think all of you are disturbed in thinking an "upscale" business entity
would even consider the Cermak Plaza as a viable place to open shop

At the present time, you are right.  But the Cermak Plaza, with a philosphical and physical revision, could attract such businesses due to its location, the changing demographic of Berwyn, and very favorable demographics of surrounding communities.

The hoopla over the disturbed parcel known as "superblock" amazes me
further. Everyone finds great pleasure in an Applebees?

Well, what in hell did you expect, Wildfire Grill?  A Club House?  Charlie Trotters II?  Raise our average household income by $40k and we'll see.  This is a good step forward and a viable business on a dying corner.  Enjoy your nice meal and thank your lucky stars that the old guard didn't stick a Harold's Chicken Shack over there. 

No other corporate interest would ever be dumb enough to undertake such an endeavor

There is truly a nimrod there who thinks there is any ROI in that property development.
Daley's eastward contingency will make dining a new and interesting experience at the new
Applebee"s. Bon appetite boys and girls. I find it disturbing that such would whet your appetite.

"What you mean, I has to stand here an wait"

Famous Dave's is doing fine and isn't an unpleasant dining experience (as far as chains go), and it is right next to the mall.  I expect Applebee's to be the same, and do well in that location.  And the idea is that once it does well, others will follow.

It's a process. We're now trying to undo years of lack of vision and other ineptitude.  The Applebees is a nice link in what is going to be a longer chain. 

delbowz

A lifestyle center would be great - but I always can't help but think that the location is perfect for a Meijer's.  There isn't one in the area, the current ecomonimc make up of the city can afford to shop there - and we could actually spend our hard earned dollars at a LARGE, reasonably priced grocery store in our OWN city.  (For those of you not familiar, Meijer's is similar to a super Target - but with better grocery selection.)

Denise
Life is too important to be taken seriously. - Oscar Wilde

OakParkSpartan

I'd love a Meijer's, but once again we are constrained by the space.  Look at the size of the new Miejers being built.  They would have very, very little parking on that site.

Cheers,
Brian

scoon

You Michigan people and your Meijer's... 

I was at the Bed, Bath, and Beyond in FP the other day and I've never seen more stuff crammed into such a small space.  They'd be a perfect middle of the road retailer that could easily move a few miles down the road to a busier intersection and probably do pretty well.  I don't know anything like that in our area.

Bear

Yes Bru you are correct, Applebee's is a step forward
albeit a small one. My mindless blathering on superblock
and everyones hope for the plaza only infuriated me.

Like the mayor, I am very impatient. I am a result driven individual,
I have no patience for those who fester in any given task. Goals we wish to acheive
at times are beyond our control, such as ownership of the Plaza.

It is good to dream, I just seek result...And things take time.

We will get there.

On a lighter note, a great time was had by all at Fitzgerald's
for the jambalya contest

ruffian

Nice pics, Bear.  Looks like it was a good time.  Did you win anything? or were you a Judge?

On the plaza ... the way I remember it ... the Plaza was composed of many smaller stores.  You had like three shoe stores .. Baker's etc., several clothing stores, Two Sisters, etc., the Fannie May, Woolworth's, were you could get anything household that you needed, and enjoy a cheeseburger off the grill or a soda fountain creation.  I cannot remember if the Walgreens was there originally or not, but I know for sure it was not in the exact same location.  Because in those days there were small stores going around that corner facing Harlem just like store fronts face the Home side (the area that comprises Walgreen's liquor area).  I know for sure because they had a small record store there where I bought all my top 20 45 rpm's for .65 cents.  The Plaza also had a Penny's and Sears was where Circuit City and all that area is now.  That's all I can remember for the moment.  Can anybody remember more of the stores that were there?

By the way, I can tell you that bowling was big in Berwyn.  The premier bowling alley was National's which use to sit right on the northeast corner of Home and Cermak (where the currency exchange and the now gone Pet Supplies Plus use to be).  Berwyn Bowl use to be on Harlem just couple blocks North of Pershing.  So a town that use to have at least three bowling alleys for years and years, now has none, unless the one of 16th is still around.  I knew a few people that use to win a couple grand a night bowling in leagues.

Two great racetracks up until recently ... now one great racetrack.

Back in the old days a night out did not include trying out the latest restaurant.  I want good food ..... I make it myself ... at home.

1st and North Avenue --- go karts, batting cages, and general mischef, followed by ribs at Russells on Thatcher
95th & Keane - horseback riding
22nd and Wolf - driving range
Cermak & Ogden - cermak pool
Car Demolition and races and motorcycle races at Santa Fe Speedway, followed by drinks at the Wolf's Head Inn

SUNDAY, SUNDAY ... come on out to U.S. 30 Drag Strip ... dragsters, funny cars, compete yourself if you want

Football leagues
Baseball leagues
Softball leagues

yeah, we were just a tad too busy to sit around in restaurants every other day

Thomas

Remember G.C. Murphy's?

And I think Striker Lanes is still on 16th St. if I'm not mistaken