"Berwyn really wasn’t giving us a lot of support ..."

Started by shrugger, February 22, 2006, 02:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

Quote from: mustang54 on March 01, 2006, 07:13:43 PM
  Ruff you gotta ad Thom McAnn,Bakers, and Kinney shoes!

Mustang, your brain cells are intact...I forgot about those.

Maybe, I spent too much time in my yute
listening to side "C"
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

mustang54

Bear many people who know me would question your comment on my brain cells. And im sure i listened to just as much Jimi and inagadadavida as you did! Ah yes the good ole days. I also remember watchin the actor Joe Montegna and his band the Apocryphals playin at the plaza one night. They were my favorite local band.

ruffian

Mustang, yes, I forgot to add the shoe stores in my recap.  Chevy your my kinda dude.  Let's face it boys ... we had the best ... now what's left is the rest ... and we have that too, but we DID have THE BEST.  Like you guys, I enjoy the simple life, just the way I was raised I guess. 

Boris, you know back then every shoe store actually measured your feet .. length and width to make sure the shoe would fit you properly.  Trade Joe's to me is way overated, I'm with Bear on Sam's Club for good specialty foods and for excellent quality food at reasonable prices.  Art?  They claim that mural on the back of Walgreens is art ... that's original too ... I woudln't give you two cents for it, and whoever thought it was a good idea should be strung up on the spindle and dangle there for a couple of weeks till they've learned their lesson not to involve themselves with artist decisions.

$3,000 for leather sofa?  OK, gonna start callin you The Donald.  enjoy

markberwyn

Quote from: ruffian on March 01, 2006, 10:29:36 PMArt?  They claim that mural on the back of Walgreens is art ... that's original too ... I woudln't give you two cents for it, and whoever thought it was a good idea should be strung up on the spindle and dangle there for a couple of weeks till they've learned their lesson not to involve themselves with artist decisions.

What sort of art did we have in Berwyn back in the olden days?
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

ruffian

not anything I can think of, mark.  but back in the old days, two days after the mural was done the Walgreens would have been blown up.  :coreyhart:

markberwyn

Quote from: ruffian on March 01, 2006, 10:40:14 PM
but back in the old days, two days after the mural was done the Walgreens would have been blown up.  :coreyhart:

Why?
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

shrugger

Quote from: markberwyn on March 01, 2006, 10:41:44 PM
Quote from: ruffian on March 01, 2006, 10:40:14 PM
but back in the old days, two days after the mural was done the Walgreens would have been blown up.  :coreyhart:

Why?

small town. lame.
we must cultivate our garden

ruffian

Because back then that's how Berwyn dealt with something it didn't like.  It blew it up.  Gone ... KAput

we're somewhat civilized now (he he)

markberwyn

Quote from: ruffian on March 01, 2006, 11:13:45 PM
Because back then that's how Berwyn dealt with something it didn't like.  It blew it up.  Gone ... KAput

I wasn't asking why Berwynites might chose one method of destruction over another. ("Golly, ruffian, why didn't they use wrecking balls or chisels instead of explosives back in the olden days?") I was asking why they'd want to destroy the mural.

jburkson

I remember when Berwyn had 3 movie houses. My favorite was the Ritz. It's to bad to see them gone. Also, does anyone remember Carm's beef on12th. st. To me the beefs were the best. Atleast we still have Fitzgeralds.

John

mustang54

JB i remember Carms on Roosevelt and the original one on Cicero Ave. near the Eisenhower. Joe the original owners son has the Carms Beef in Hillside on Wolf across from the golf course. And its still GOOOOOD! I try to get there once a week. When i was a kid i remember the Ritz would show Blackhawk playoff games on closed circuit there. Thats back when they made the playoffs.

Ana

Quote from: ruffian on March 01, 2006, 10:21:49 AM
Kurto very true.

Boris, hate to be the one to tell you, but bowling is still as popular at it ever was and many of the alleys today are high tech, and I don't mean strickly with the beer drinking blue collar crowd either.  People do use it to socialize with other couples, and some still enjoy belonging to leagues ... whether your single/married, young/old.

Mustang your killin me.  The Cotton Shop yep and Troys ... two more good ones.

Yes, and most bowling alleys have leagues for kids.  Mine were in a league at Striker, they each have their own bowling ball and boy, do I wish the 2 grand a night leagues were still around, I'd send my husband bowling as opposed to rolling my eyes everytime he wants to go!

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

P-PANTHER a/k/a La Pantera

Quote from: mustang54 on March 02, 2006, 09:57:20 AM
JB i remember Carms on Roosevelt and the original one on Cicero Ave. near the Eisenhower. Joe the original owners son has the Carms Beef in Hillside on Wolf across from the golf course. And its still GOOOOOD! I try to get there once a week. When i was a kid i remember the Ritz would show Blackhawk playoff games on closed circuit there. Thats back when they made the playoffs.

mustang,

saw the Blackhawks get eliminated by the Rangers and Eddie Giacomin in 72 (I believe) at the Ritz. Back in the day when some of the Hawks actually used to live in Berwyn, and eat at Giannottis in Forest Park.
"I am interested in the PAST and do not really understand the obsession around here about burying it."-Crunchie.

"La Pantera..He's one of the few people on this board that CUTS THROUGH THE BSers on this board - myself included." -Ted

jburkson

Quote from: mustang54 on March 02, 2006, 09:57:20 AM

Thanks Mustang, I will get over to Carms in Hillside this week to have a beef. And yes I did go to the Ritz for Blackhawk piayoff games in the 70s also. In 1971 I was their for 7th and deciding game that the Blackhawks lost to the Canadians. I believe the Blackhawks had a 3-1 game lead that year.

John