News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

City to consider giving Berwyn home landmark status

Started by frankvdv, April 08, 2010, 03:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankvdv

City to consider giving Berwyn home landmark status

By Nick Vogel, nvogel@mysuburbanlife.com
Berwyn Life
Posted Apr 06, 2010 @ 12:34 PM
Last update Apr 06, 2010 @ 12:44 PM
Berwyn, IL —

Some mornings, Steve Evans wakes up to find busloads of tourists looking at his home.

"There's school buses, there's Greyhound buses, whatever, and this is 3, 4, 5 o'clock in the morning," said Evans.

Berwyn residents may know Evans' home as the Dunham House, located at 3131 Wisconsin Ave. on Berwyn's south west side.

The Berwyn Historic Preservation Commission certainly knows of the home. On March 31, its members recommended the Berwyn City Council name it an historic local landmark.

The home is no stranger to recognition. In 1980, it was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places, which explains the tour buses.

Five years ago, it was honored because it has been in the same family for 100 years.

"That's very significant. I'm very proud of that, those two features" said Evans to the commissioners. His voice choked up with emotion as he spoke.

Built in 1907 by the architectural firm Tallmadge & Watson, the Dunham House represents the Prairie School of architecture.

The Chicago History Museum's Encyclopedia of Chicago said the Prairie School began in Chicago with designs free from the influence of historical styles. It's often associated with Chicago architects Frank Lloyd Wright and Louis Sullivan.

Historic Preservation Commissioner Peter Sellars nominated the home for consideration. In speaking to other commissioners March 31 he described the exterior and interior design of the Dunham house.

"The interior detailing is virtually intact. ... It's really a glorious thing to behold," said Sellars.

"Through its execution (Tallmadge & Watson) have  really attained all of (the ideals of the Prairie

School) and also something more, I think more in keeping with the American, truly American-style of architecture. That's what, also, the Prairie School is all about — straight lines, abstracted moldings and trims, etc."

Evans said the home commissioned by his great-grandfather Arthur Dunham will ultimately be passed down to his son, Kyle Dunham Evans.

Meantime it is owned by Evans' mother Lucile Evans.

"I feel very privileged to have the opportunity to have my home listed with the Berwyn Historic Preservation Commission," said Lucile Evans.

The City Council must next vote to approve the home's landmark status.

As for the buses driving by their home, Evans said the phenomenon is random and shocking.

Regardless, they agree they have gotten used to people driving slowly passed their home.

"We love it," said Steve's wife, Susan Ranker-Evans. "We wave, say hello."
Copyright 2010 Berwyn Life. Some rights reserved

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Beautiful from the outside and from the descriptions in the article, just as beautiful on the inside.  How wonderful that it's been in the same family all these years and they plan to keep it that way.  I can't see how the city council wouldn't vote a unanimous yes in giving this home landmark status.