News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Clueless People

Started by mustang54, September 01, 2010, 10:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang54

Watching the news tonight I was amazed how many clueless incompetent people really are in high places. Heres a couple of examples.
1. Top cop Jody Wies in Chicago:
  Has a meeting with gang leaders to tell them to stop the shootings or else. Or else what! Dude if you have an or else in your pocket it should have been used a long time ago. Many more kids and a few of your police officers would still be alive.
2. The Governor himself:
   Didn't like the idea of Chicago's top cops meeting. He feels his assault weapon ban would work better. Are you kidding me! OK sign the ban and watch how many frickin gang bangers turn in their assault weapons just because you signed the ban. Doe's this goof live on fantasy island. Clown number one should be fired and clown number two should be voted out of office no matter who runs against him.

Screwball

Is Bill Brady the answer, maybe? Can a downstater do us any good up north?

Ted

Quote from: Screwball on September 01, 2010, 11:32:30 PM

No, he's not the answer.  He has no concrete plan that will fix the state's finances.

mustang54

Quote from: Ted on September 02, 2010, 06:06:42 AM
Quote from: Screwball on September 01, 2010, 11:32:30 PM

No, he's not the answer.  He has no concrete plan that will fix the state's finances.
And how is Quinn's plan working Ted? LOL. Oh yea its working fine for his staff who all got raises! In the state that this state is in EVERY incumbent should be voted out of office regardless of party, then maybe these crooked liars will get a clue on who they really are supposed to be working for.

Bonster

I can't imagine how anyone could be worse than Quinn, even Blago.  He's right there with Sheriff Tom Dart, a/k/a Captain Limpwrist.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Screwball

The only thing good I can say about Quinn is his commitment to Illinois veterans.

rbain

Quote from: Rt. 66 on September 02, 2010, 11:09:40 AM
I can't imagine how anyone could be worse than Quinn, even Blago.  He's right there with Sheriff Tom Dart, a/k/a Captain Limpwrist.

Wow, a "he's gay!" joke... Haven't seen one of those in a while. Stay classy...
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

Bonster

Quote from: rbain on September 02, 2010, 12:35:57 PM
Quote from: Rt. 66 on September 02, 2010, 11:09:40 AM
I can't imagine how anyone could be worse than Quinn, even Blago.  He's right there with Sheriff Tom Dart, a/k/a Captain Limpwrist.

Wow, a "he's gay!" joke... Haven't seen one of those in a while. Stay classy...

...the hell are you talking about?  I didn't call anyone gay.  That would be mighty hypocritical for me of all people to call out anyone for being gay.  Stay paranoid.

rbain

You've got some other definition for "limpwrist"?
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

Bonster

The only definition I have for limp-wristed includes terms like weak, lame, soft, etc.

chandasz

According to

dictionary.com:

limp wrist 
–noun Slang:  Disparaging and Offensive .
a homosexual, esp. a male homosexual.
Use limp wrist in a Sentence
See images of limp wrist
Search limp wrist on the Web

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1960–65

Bonster

You can make up whatever you want for it; that's not how I use it.

Bonster

Urban Dictionary:

Limp Wristed    

A panzy, a bitch, a ginger (not necessarily with red hair). This can be a man or a women and it has no specific race, religion or creed. Its a simple word to describe someone weak or pussy. A whimp.

---

Dictionary.com:

limp-wrist·ed
   /ˈlɪmpˌrɪstɪd/ Show Spelled[limp-ris-tid] Show IPA
–adjective Slang: Disparaging and Offensive .
effeminate.
soft; flabby; ineffectual.

rbain

How is quoting dictionary.com "making up whatever you want"? You may not have intended a homosexual reference, but using the term "limp wrist" IS derogatory. Surely you must have seen that when you checked Urban Dictionary:

Urban Dictionary

limp wrist
(1)a male with femine qualites and a sexual desire to be with other men; gay; homosexual; fag; fruit cake; fudgepacker
(2)refers to when a gay male's wrist falls limp and forms a 90 degree angle with a verticle forearm, often times an involuntary movement occuring while in conversation.

limp wrist
Gay grindcore band from New York City. short super fast songs, mostly about being gay.
I saw limp wrist play the other day, and they played good.

limp wrist
synonym for flamingly homosexual
Was it just me or did that guy have kind of a limp wrist?

limp wrist
Crazy cool mouse control in PC games.
Very good at playing FPS games.
Yo, that dude just pwn'd those noobs, he's got tha mad limp wrist

limp wrist
A big fagget, aka a homo.

Bonster

Quote from: rbain on September 02, 2010, 05:05:29 PM
How is quoting dictionary.com "making up whatever you want"? You may not have intended a homosexual reference, but using the term "limp wrist" IS derogatory. Surely you must have seen that when you checked Urban Dictionary:

OK, using whatever you want. 
I've never known of it in that manner; never looked it up till today. I know it is derogatory; it was meant that way, just not in the way you and chandasz inferred.

I've used the word sissy before, too, and I'll bet you'd assume a homosexual reference was implied there as well, but, alas, it wasn't.

It would be rather hypocritical for me to use a gay reference in a derogatory manner towards someone.

rbain

I wouldn't be offended by "sissy", and I happen to like "pansy"... even with the reference to Pansy Division. It's just that "limp wrist", and even more, the performance of the limp wrist action along with a knowing nod or wink, has long been a way to indicate that a man is gay in pop culture, movies and TV.

I'm fine with you not intending it that way, but it is a VERY common reference, and you should know that when you use it many people will assume it's what you mean. As for hypocrisy, as I don't know you personally I would have no way to account for that- I just have what you wrote. 

billyjean

Quote from: rbain on September 02, 2010, 08:16:38 PM
I wouldn't be offended by "sissy", and I happen to like "pansy"... even with the reference to Pansy Division. It's just that "limp wrist", and even more, the performance of the limp wrist action along with a knowing nod or wink, has long been a way to indicate that a man is gay in pop culture, movies and TV.

I'm fine with you not intending it that way, but it is a VERY common reference, and you should know that when you use it many people will assume it's what you mean. As for hypocrisy, as I don't know you personally I would have no way to account for that- I just have what you wrote.  

You wouldn't be offended by sissy?  Well, from my experience ... sissy means ... coward.  We use to throw it around at each other boy or girl ... cause to us it meant you were afraid of something ... or afraid to do something.  

Never used pansy.  I know it, but I never really used that word.  I agree with your hollywood statement re: limp wrist, however, it's not always been used in that manner.  In my experience it has been used to describe a person with no backbone ... no show of strength.  I remember calling one of my great nieces boyfriend's a limp wrist.  I shook his hand and it was like shaking the hand of someone in a coma.  Years ago ... you were taught how to properly shake hands believe it or not.  Yes, they actually taught you social graces in school.  That a hand shake could tell much about a person in how they view themselves.  If you think an employer who offers a handshake doesn't notice how you shake hands ... think again.

So despite that you think hollywood has etched in stone the term "limp wrist" to go along with its stereotyped depiction of gays (which by the way nobody liberal seems to complain about) many times ppl use the term to indicate the person who shows weakness, has no conviction, or a set of balls.  I don't let hollywood or gays dictate the meaning of words that I use.  So ... assume all you want.

rbain

I wasn't saying I wouldn't be offended if you called ME a sissy, just that I don't see that word as offensive- just insulting, and that is how it is intended.

My point is just that we as responsible adults should be personally responsible for the language we use. I understand that he didn't mean "gay", but only after he explained it. If you use a term commonly seen as offensive, you would be wise NOT to assume that everyone assumes you don't mean it "that way", particularly in an on-line environment where language is divorced from the many other ways we convey meaning.
As for "not letting gays define the language you use"- really? So ou still use gay for happy? And faggot for stick? What about blacks? You still call them colored?
There is nothing shameful abou making an effort not to offend. It's merely BEING CIVIL. something I used to think "conservatives" cared about...

Berwyn Patsy

" It's merely BEING CIVIL, something I used to think "conservatives" cared about..."
I always though most human beings cared about being civil, not just "conservatives".
I can understand where your coming from rbain, but I think your being a bit harsh.
So, he made a mistake, don't we all.  Next time I am sure he will try to examine his wording
more carefully.

Crunchie

Rob, I've never thought of the term 'limp-wrist' as a derogatory saying meant to reference homosexuals specifically. Like Rt66, I always thought it was just a way to say someone was weak. Maybe your years in SF have skewed your reference points? There are still people who think of 'gay' as 'happy' also. I used to be one of them.