Historic Berwyn's Bungalow Tour - Sunday, Sept 26th Noon-5pm

Started by binchen6, September 13, 2010, 12:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binchen6

The Berwyn Historical Society presents:
The Historic Berwyn's Bungalow Tour: Bungalows and More

Sunday, September 26th
Noon-5pm

The tour includes a distinguished Tallmadge and Watson prairie style house, listed on the National Register Of Historic Places, as well as a Frank Lloyd Wright American System-Built house.

Proceeds will benefit the Berwyn Historical Society, NFP

For more information about ticket purchasing and check-in location please visit
us online at www.BerwynBungalow.org

You can also buy tickets in 4 local stores:

Berwyn Ace Hardware
6316 Ogden Ave
Berwyn

James & Williams Jewelers
7020 W. Cermak Ave
Berwyn

Over The Rainbow
6836 Windsor Ave
Berwyn

Two Fish Art Glass
7401 W. Madison
Forest Park

I hope you'll come out to one of Berwyn's great events.
Please invite your friends.

OakParkSpartan

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

truman40

This is a pretty cool event that we almost lost. It was skipped last year but I am so glad to see it back.
We need to make sure that this event continues again next year. So come on out and meet some nice people and see come great bungalows. 
btw- Over The Rainbow will be open on sunday so stop by afterwards and have a good old fashion sundae or malted.
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

OakParkSpartan

Tonight was the night when the docents could go through the homes.

There are some fantastic homes on the tour, with a variety of styles.  There is a huge prairie house which is very cool and a Frank Lloyd Wright (one of America's best known architect's) home (WOW!  It is worth checking out.  A wonderful adaptation of a unique home for modern living.  The empty nesters that live there have done a wonderful job with the renovations).

There is also a very cool Queen Anne style home that has some super cool wood work.  And a corner bungalow that makes you forget you are in a bungalow (check out their basement...what a party room!).

Come out to the tour on Sunday!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

OakParkSpartan

happyinberwyn

The Skincare Company Spa Salon is proud to promote the Historic Berwyn's Bungalow Tour.  We hope the event is a huge success!  Save your Bungalow Tour ticket!...Present it when checking out at The Skincare Company Spa Salon and get 15% OFF any HAIR COLOR, FULL FACIAL, MANI/PEDI COMBO, ONE HOUR MASSAGE, ONE HOUR SHIATSU or ONE HOUR REIKI!! OR get a FREE LIP or EYEBROW WAX!  (Restrictions Apply, one per customer, not valid with other offers).

Proud to be in Berwyn!!

The Skincare Company Spa SALON - AVEDA
6830 Windsor Avenue
Berwyn, IL 60402
708-788-8820
www.SkincareCompanySalon.com
Tues/Thurs 11am - 7pm
Fri/Sat 9am - 5pm

truman40

Hats off to the Berwyn Historical Society for the Bungalow Tour!!! We decided to walk from home to home and it was a nice cool autumn day for the walk. Nice workout with a great pay-off at each stop and I finally saw the inside of a house I have been walking past for the last 10 years wondering what the inside looked like,,,,, and I was not disappointed.
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

Fer

What a great tour!  And hats off to all the volunteers and organizers who were wonderful to work with.  I was very impressed with all the homes, and I happen to be very fond of the party basement myself!   :) 

We have some gems here in Berwyn; I've walked or driven by many of the homes on the tour so often, and could never have imagined the treasures inside. 

We do live in a great, interesting community, as my friends who went on the tour with me (from out of the area) said again and again.

Again, kudos to all the hard work that went into the event.

Fer

There is also a very cool Queen Anne style home that has some super cool wood work.  And a corner bungalow that makes you forget you are in a bungalow (check out their basement...what a party room!).

"Life is short. Enjoy it."
J. Sullivan, 7/28/06

bigolo

Had to work, so unfortunately I missed this great opportunity to see some awesome houses! Does anyone here have photos or perhaps could scan the brochure they handed out with all of the houses on tour this year?

dukesdad

QuoteDoes anyone here have photos

The historical society had a professional photographer taking some pictures. Tour goers were not supposed to take pictures. I know if my house were on the tour, I would not want 200 people traipsing through taking a photographic inventory of all my "stuff.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: dukesdad on September 27, 2010, 01:43:15 PM
QuoteDoes anyone here have photos

The historical society had a professional photographer taking some pictures. Tour goers were not supposed to take pictures. I know if my house were on the tour, I would not want 200 people traipsing through taking a photographic inventory of all my "stuff.

People were asked specifically not to take photos inside, but exterior shots...no different than someone snapping photos while walking down the street.

I've got a few that I snapped at checkin.

RevDEO

The Berwyn Historical Society will likely post some of the professionally-taken pictures of the Bungalow Tour on our website: www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org quite soon. Check it out - it's growing every week, with new information, photos, etc.

I'd like to thank the organizing committee, the homeowners, house captains, docents, florists, St Michael and All Angels Church, and everyone who participated in the tour (over 300) for making this such a successful event. It made all the hard work and preparations worthwhile, after all. We are proud of our community!

David Olson
President, Berwyn Historical Society.

Fer

David,
My congratulations to you and all the docents, volunteers, planning committee, etc. on a wonderful event.  What a great group of people.  And this past weekend makes me even prouder to live in such a community of caring people.

Fer

Quote from: RevDEO on September 28, 2010, 11:21:52 AM
The Berwyn Historical Society will likely post some of the professionally-taken pictures of the Bungalow Tour on our website: www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org quite soon. Check it out - it's growing every week, with new information, photos, etc.

I'd like to thank the organizing committee, the homeowners, house captains, docents, florists, St Michael and All Angels Church, and everyone who participated in the tour (over 300) for making this such a successful event. It made all the hard work and preparations worthwhile, after all. We are proud of our community!

David Olson
President, Berwyn Historical Society.
"Life is short. Enjoy it."
J. Sullivan, 7/28/06

truman40

BTW- Nice website
http://berwynhistoricalsociety.org/
and you can't beat your membership prices  ;)
Senior Citizen............................................$10.00
Student......................................................$10.00
Individual..................................................$15.00
Family........................................................$20.00
Business.....................................................$30.00
I'll be joining!!!
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

Bonster

Make sure they can read your name when you sign up - it's impossible to get it changed if misspelled other than by not renewing your membership, lol.

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

binchen6

If this happened to anyone, "not getting the name corrected, once a member" please let me know and I'll make SURE we will take care of this. This year past members received a complementary membership due to restructuring of the organization we encourage everyone to renew their membership to help the BHS grow in the future.

Thanks
Sabine

Send any questions, corrections and ideas to
info@berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Bonster

It happened to us for five years straight...after about 5 different requests we gave up.

We tried the little check box "check here if your name or address has changed."
Then we waited till our membership ran out and signed up as new - still took the incorrect names.
We wrote a separate note requesting they fix our names.   Also talked to someone in person at the fair who told us what to do.
When they printed the names of contributors...yeah, same thing.  It was cute at first, but got old real quick.

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

binchen6

Well sorry to hear that - my name is Sabine Krauss, NEW board member of the BHS and a technofile, and if you send me a personal message with your information I will track down your info in the XLS sheet and make sure to update it with the correct info. I hope you give it a 6th attempt. Thanks
Sabine