News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Foundation Crack Repair Recommendations???

Started by gregdogg62, March 06, 2007, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregdogg62

We have a crack in our concrete foundation that we would like to have repaired.  Anyone  have any recommendations?

Thanks

Robert Pauly

On the wall or on the floor?  Quality DIY repairs to the wall are pretty easy.

Cogito

Frist, are your gutters draining as far away from the crack as possible? If you are getting standing water outside opposite the leakage area, that needs to be addressed first. Secondly, the bottom line is that if you want to fix it properly, you should attack it from the outside. If you fill the crack and patch it from the outside, when it rains the water pressure is pushing the patch into the crack so the water can't get through. If you patch the crack on the interior wall of the basement, the water pressure will be able to push through the patch once it reaches a sufficient force. Most interior fixes do not last long.

If you hire pros to do the work, make sure you check their references thoroughly. This is one of those businesses that is saturated with scammers and incompetents. After going through this BS myself, I have decided I do want anymore homes with basements unless I am on the top of a hill. Invariably I end up filling them with junk that I should have pitched in the garbage anyway.

What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Robert Pauly

The new patch kits seal wall cracks from the inside.  They work as follows: 6 or 8 nipples /nozzles are glued across the crack spaced about a foot apart.  The crack is then sealed with some type of sealant.  A day or so later after the sealant had dried, epoxy is injected into the crack via the nipples /nozzles glued across the crack.  Epoxy seals the crack across the entire width of the foundation - floor to ceiling - and is impervious to leaking.  I've used this method three times - in a high water table area - with no failure.

A friend of mine had this done by a pro for around $600.  A DIY kit purchased from a place like McMaster Carr is $75.  http://www.mcmaster.com/ - page 2040.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Cogito on March 06, 2007, 05:32:11 PM

If you hire pros to do the work, make sure you check their references thoroughly. This is one of those businesses that is saturated with scammers and incompetents. After going through this BS myself, I have decided I do want anymore homes with basements unless I am on the top of a hill. Invariably I end up filling them with junk that I should have pitched in the garbage anyway.

That's  your problem Cogito...basements  are  not for junk. That is why god created garages in Berwyn.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

dukesdad

The epoxy injection works very well, wheter done professionally or DIY. You will have no problem with water pushing out the patch despite cogito's expert opinion. The epoxied area will be stronger and tighter than the rest of the wall.