News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

I..AM..BACK!!! next project: replacing bad floorboards!

Started by Bungalocity, December 02, 2011, 10:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bungalocity

My wedding season is winding down a bit so now it's full steam ahead to finish off this house already.
Target:
Back den windows/jambs/trim/walls
Kitchen walls
Maple floors are the only floors I have left to redo and I can't actually sand them until the walls and a host of other
issues are addressed.  But in the meantime I did pull up the linoleum and attached subfloor and in the process
revealed or damaged several boards.  Also, where the fridge is, there used to be a pantry that was eliminated that
goes all the way to the driveway wall.  SO, there's a nice big gap about 19 boards wide where there never was
a floor to begin with. 

So now I grabbed a cord of maple 2 1/4 x 3/4" flooring at Lumber Liquidators on North av. for $75 and that might cover most of what
I need to do. Unfortunately you have to weave in convincingly the boards in mid-floor which means having to cut the center lengthwise
and score and chisel where you want to match up with a new board.  This will break the tongue in groove and allow pulling up the old
piece.

I will try and document this as I go along the best I can with the amazing iPhone 4 camera and video features and do the best I can to bring the
experience to you!

In the meantime this is kind of what I'm dealing with...

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence and success is sure"...
-Mark Twain

pkd50

Good luck.   What fun it will be watching this project.   Thanks for sharing.

OakParkSpartan

Tom Silva from This Old House has demonstrated how to do this several times.  Might be a good resource for people.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato