News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Salerno's on Grove

Started by viktor, December 27, 2011, 01:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Jackal

LOL.

The bill was paid..from what I hear. The issue was the AMOUNT paid, or actually the amount that was billed.....LOL. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I hear.

In any event, this has to be good news for La Notte......

Mrs.Pete

Quote from: berwyn senator on December 27, 2011, 08:50:29 PM
A small ranch on the North East corner of 14Th, and East ave.is where I believe old man Salerno lived.In the back yard extending from the back of the house was a cement patio,underneath was an all concrete room excessable from the basement,it was here where cheese and sausage were aged far the old Salerno's.

Mrs.Pete

I haven't figured out the reply method yet, and quoting from somebody else.
Re: the old Salerno's on East Ave. Many years ago the brick house on the corner was going to be torn down, and it was offered for sale for a small amount to anyone who would have it moved. My husband and his buddy found a vacant location in Oak Park that was reasonably priced, but we couldn't afford the move because of the cost of having the cable wires cut and re-attached. We could have had the electric wires lifted during the move, but the cable couldn't be lifted. So the building was torn down.

The Jackal

Looks like there's some notice(s) posted on Salerno's windows.

The Jackal

Word has it that Salerno's will reopen in some sort of merger with Brando's at the Brando's location. We shall see.

berwynguy

Quote from: The Jackal on January 20, 2012, 02:43:58 PM
Word has it that Salerno's will reopen in some sort of merger with Brando's at the Brando's location. We shall see.

Good Lord.  The blind leading the blind.

I gave up on both of these places, Brando's almost a year ago, and Salerno's about six months ago after I finally got sick of patronizing two Mickey Mouse run operations.  What finally killed Brando's for me was when I went there at noon on a Friday and they were closed even though their hours said they were supposed to be open.  Salerno's I gave MANY chances because I liked their pizza.  What did it for me was also them closing early when I would call to place an order.  I would call at like 9:15pm and order and the kid would tell me "sorry, we are closing because it's slow."  WTF?  ??? Then I always order my pizzas baked well and they would always give them to me practically raw.  I would open up the box and look at the pizza and the kid would just stare at me and shrug.  Screw both of these places.  Good luck.  I'll stick with Bouna for beef and Falco's and Home Run Inn for pizza.  Places that have NEVER let me down in DECADES. 
Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

The Jackal

^^^^^^^

LOL.

I'm not laughing AT you, I'm laughing WITH you.

berwynguy

Yeah, the best was when I called Salerno's I think a year ago and they told me "we ran out of pizza dough."  WTF?  Are you kidding me?  ::)  I would equate that to me calling up Com Ed and them telling me "uh, we ran out of electricity."

The Jackal

Hahahahahaha..

Hey, it COULD get worse...you COULD go to a local diner and order breakfast in the morning, only to be told they're out of milk and eggs.... ;D :) ;) :P :o ???

pkd50

You guys are making me miss Berwyn.

seebee

You guys are killing me -  besmirching my beloved Salerno's name!!!
Seriously tho- I would give up on them too if that was my experience. I just wish I could give out pieces of their pizza when I got the ones I loved so much. I have had a clunker or two, but the great ones that I've gotten have been absolutely stellar, imo. Super thin, extra crunchy crust, with loads of flavor, super tangy sauce, and real cheese, and the sausage was awesome. And for the prices they were charging, it NEEDED to be insanely good for me to keep ordering.

berwynguy

seebee, don't get me wrong, I have been a Salerno's customer since before we went there after the 8th grade dance at Lincoln Jr. High when they were still on 16th St.! (we dined and dashed that day, but that's another story)  ;D  I am not one of the people here that have one bad experience and it's all over.  I gave these screw balls like 15 chances over the past few years.  Their operation was obviously going down the shitter for some time.  I was just one of the goofs that kept coming back for more. 

Bonster

Quote from: seebee on January 20, 2012, 04:06:28 PM
Seriously tho- I would give up on them too if that was my experience. I just wish I could give out pieces of their pizza when I got the ones I loved so much. I have had a clunker or two, but the great ones that I've gotten have been absolutely stellar, imo. Super thin, extra crunchy crust, with loads of flavor, super tangy sauce, and real cheese, and the sausage was awesome.

You besmirch foam with grill marks covered in reddish-brown syrup, but you're OK with 1" styrofoam covered in ketchup with a slight sprinkle of plastic?   I mean cheese?

Just kidding.  I'm sure you had some good ones... the KEY is asking for xtra-thin crust - everywhere in Berwyn.  By doing that I gave Dinico's a 2nd chance and they've been great.  I'm thinking of trying the same at Benny's.

I went about three times prior to 2006, and each time got the "default" thin and it wasn't very good.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

MRS. NORTHSIDER

We used to live right down the street from the Salerno's on 16th when we first moved to Berwyn.  My husband is not a fan of thicker crust pizza so even then we ordered from Al's.  However, he did used to go there from the NW side of Chicago when he was a teenager because they could get served alcohol there.  When my older daughter was in Girl Scouts we had an outing at that location where the girls went into the kitchen and made their own pizzas - they had a huge kitchen there.  I believe the 16th Street location was when they were in their heyday.  Heck, I usually couldn't find a parking spot in front of my house on the weekends.

My only experience with the Salerno's on Grove was when I used to be in a bunko club once a month (at least 5-7 years ago) and the wonderful lady that hosted it loved their pizza so much she always ordered pizzas from there for the evening.  I did enjoy it but we all had such a great time we probably could have been eating Little Caesar's and it wouldn't have mattered. 

mustang54

Quote from: The Jackal on January 20, 2012, 02:43:58 PM
Now theres a real recipe for disaster!

seebee

Quote from: Bonster on January 20, 2012, 04:39:57 PM
Seriously tho- I would give up on them too if that was my experience. I just wish I could give out pieces of their pizza when I got the ones I loved so much. I have had a clunker or two, but the great ones that I've gotten have been absolutely stellar, imo. Super thin, extra crunchy crust, with loads of flavor, super tangy sauce, and real cheese, and the sausage was awesome.

You besmirch foam with grill marks covered in reddish-brown syrup, but you're OK with 1" styrofoam covered in ketchup with a slight sprinkle of plastic?   I mean cheese?

Just kidding.  I'm sure you had some good ones... the KEY is asking for xtra-thin crust - everywhere in Berwyn.  By doing that I gave Dinico's a 2nd chance and they've been great.  I'm thinking of trying the same at Benny's.

I went about three times prior to 2006, and each time got the "default" thin and it wasn't very good.

Crap, now that I think of it, I need a new pizza joint. I'll try Dinico's xtra thin first.

justme

Quote from: seebee on January 20, 2012, 06:18:17 PM
Quote from: Bonster on January 20, 2012, 04:39:57 PM

Crap, now that I think of it, I need a new pizza joint. I'll try Dinico's xtra thin first.

Villa Nova's?
(I know it's not in Berwyn...)

DiNico's never fails me. I am not a fan of thin crust so I can't speak for that but I can't see it being bad. I actually stopped in their LaGrange location  and grabbed a $5 super slice (aka half a large pizza!) on my way home today. Yum! :oink:

berwyn senator

Villa Nova is in Stickney on 39Th. and maybe Grove,ever since the original owner died,its a roll of the dice as to how the pizza will be.They have one in New Buffalo Michigan,a little more consistent

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Things have come a long way since "John's" frozen pizza.  People can really pick and choose nowadays.  We rarely order pizza nowadays.  Jewel always has Gino's East frozen pizza on sale and I have a bread machine which I can make very good pizza dough in and the rest is a snap.

pcm1112

Quote from: berwyn senator on January 20, 2012, 07:01:52 PM
Villa Nova is in Stickney on 39Th. and maybe Grove,ever since the original owner died,its a roll of the dice as to how the pizza will be.They have one in New Buffalo Michigan,a little more consistent
Villa Nova should be ordered well-done.  It makes a huge difference.  We really enjoy their pizza.  Haven't tried the New Buffalo location.  We always hit Stop 50 when we're over there in the summer.  You like that place?