Fund Raiser for Proksa pond and Stream

Started by Get REAL, July 22, 2007, 09:35:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Get REAL

Does anyone have any Ideas on how to raise money and get the community involved in renovating Proksa Park pond and stream area? It could use a face lift. yes - no :coreyhart:

Terri

Can you be more specific?  You should talk with Jeff Janda and ask about any future plans for the area you mentioned.  Another idea is to attend the Park Board meeting.   

dukesdad

8:00 p.m.
August 21, 2007     
Freedom Park
3701 Scoville Avenue    

Bonster

dukesdad...do you know if there are still plans to get the Mraz Park fountain working?  (or is it?  (haven't driven by there in a while))
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

dukesdad

It's on the list of things to do. Realistically, I doubt it will happen this year. Jeff has so much on his plate with completing all the capital improvements related to the bond issue, that the fountain will probably get pushed back to next year.
Back to the stream, it's been worked on the last 2 years. Last year it was dredged, this year the drain lines on the East side were replaced. The ponds need to be dredged out completely, at some point asphalt bottoms were put in the ponds. The asphalt has disintegrated, they need to be re-dug and some sort of new liner put in. It is all on our list of things to do and we are doing what we can as $$$ are available.

Jeff Janda

In relation to the ponds at Proksa Park, a drain line has been repaired in the South Grove area as it had collapsed from age.  The Disitrict is looking at ways to recurculate the water to improve flow and possibly add a lighted aerator for added visual enhancement and enjoyment.  Currently, the ponds are fed through City water but consideration is being given to install a shallow well to provide pond fill water and irrigation water for plants and trees.  As mentioned earlier by another posting, both ponds were "asphalted" decades ago and the material has deteriorated to the point that upgrades are needed.  The east pond  (Home Avenue side) had some plumbing repairs in the last year due to age.  Planning includes a possible liner to be installed along with new shore line rock or even a retaining wall.  The creek itself, which was hand dug by Joe Proksa, has a dirt bottom and serves as a drainage/reverse irrigation for the park as it is the lowest part of the park.  Other improvements over the years include installation of limestone reatining walls along the creek, the big bridge, funding provided by Adolf & Sons Funeral Home, and the wooden foot bridge, designed and constructed by Morton High School Vocational Program. The West Pond (Wisconsin Avenue Side) is about half of the size that it used to be and maybe enlarged to improve water quality.

In regards to the Mraz Park Fountain, the Berwyn Park Dsitrict received conveyance from the City of Berwyn in about 1994.  The center fountain area was empty and the lower ring had large junipers growing in it.  The fountain was worked on by District staff and a new pump and lighting was installed in the center section after the junipers were removed.  The orignal spray pattern was a globe shape that was lit by underwater lights.   Continued Vandalism required that a galvanized gate cover be fabricated and installed inside the center fountain ring to prevent the continued theft of fountain heads, the addition of undesireable items into the fountain, and to keep people from walking through the flowers of the lower ring to soak their feet. 

Someone at the time damaged the gate cover by junping on top of it and tearing its bolts from the side walls. This occurred more than once.  The overflow tube was removed a couple of times draining the foutain and pumps vandailzed along with watetight seals.  The demand on limited resources at the time resulted on the fountain being left unused.

I anticipate that the drain line will need to be repaired and tree roots removed, new electric wiring installed,new lighting, new pump, and new concrete work as needed to for the fountain. I would also like to dig out the outer ring inrelaton to other work and make the fountain a two tiered fountain. Other improvements made since 1994 include the renovation of the War Memorial, new park lighting, retaining walls, new drinking fountain, etc...

I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions for the ponds or Mraz Fountain.  Please call me at 788-1701 or email me at jjanda@berwynparks.org.

Respectfully,

Jeff Janda
Executive Director

OakParkSpartan

Regarding Proksa...have you considered a cistern to collect runoff from the roof of the park building?

Mraz sounds like it was nice.  Are we getting security cameras in the parks?  If so, could one monitor the fountain so that it might be restored?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

Jeff-
Thanks for the great background on the Mraz Park fountain!  Interesting stuff indeed, yet very disheartening to learn about the level of vandalism which took place there.  One would hope some folks these days would be a bit more proactive.  I do remember the dome of the Bank Building being vandalised soon after I moved in here. 

Maybe some level of awareness needs to be raised amongst the neighbors around Mraz; perhaps some NW Captains need to step forward? 
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Kit

Man, WTF?  It sounds like someone had a serious grudge against that fountain.  Bizarre.  Let's hope that in the last 13 years they've found something better to do with their lives, because I for one would love to have that fountain up and running again!
The internet is to philosophy as bumper stickers are to politics.