News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Berwyn Park District Needs Your Help to Stop Thefts

Started by Jeff Janda, August 10, 2007, 12:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Janda

I would like to ask everyone who uses the parks to keep an eye open for theft.  Someone in the last two weeks has stolen dedication plaques from Proksa Park.  The Charles Moline dedication plaque which was located in the flower bed along Home Avenue was stolen about two weeks ago and today staff found that the Bob Teeter dedication plaque was also pried from the dedication rock near the Children's Garden.  Both plaques had been in place for more than thirty (30) years and have a high replacement value. 

If you see someone attempting to remove any other plaques, please contact the Berwyn Police Department immediately at 911 or the Berwyn Park District at 788-1701.  Additionally, if you see other crimes in progress, please call. 

Respectfully,

Jeff Janda, CPRP
Executive Director
www.berwynparks.org
jjanda@berwynparks.org

OakParkSpartan

Are these brass?  Wonder if they are being stolen for the metal?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

~LL~

Quote from: Jeff Janda on August 10, 2007, 12:56:51 PM
I would like to ask everyone who uses the parks to keep an eye open for theft.  Someone in the last two weeks has stolen dedication plaques from Proksa Park.  The Charles Moline dedication plaque which was located in the flower bed along Home Avenue was stolen about two weeks ago and today staff found that the Bob Teeter dedication plaque was also pried from the dedication rock near the Children's Garden.  Both plaques had been in place for more than thirty (30) years and have a high replacement value. 

If you see someone attempting to remove any other plaques, please contact the Berwyn Police Department immediately at 911 or the Berwyn Park District at 788-1701.  Additionally, if you see other crimes in progress, please call. 

Respectfully,

Jeff Janda, CPRP
Executive Director
www.berwynparks.org
jjanda@berwynparks.org

This is very sad.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

A.Malina

"I have never killed a man but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

Bonster

Quote from: A.Malina on August 10, 2007, 02:46:12 PM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on August 10, 2007, 02:35:04 PM
Are these brass?  Wonder if they are being stolen for the metal?
Copper.

Ahhh...no mystery there, Jeff...sign of the times.
Should've seen that coming from miles away . . .

First Reformed Church of Funkytown.JPG (67.09 KB, 614x461 - viewed quite a few times.)
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

mrs. scoon

Quote from: Jeff Janda on August 10, 2007, 12:56:51 PM

Respectfully,

Jeff Janda, CPRP
Executive Director
www.berwynparks.org
jjanda@berwynparks.org

Just out of curious, have the local pawn shops (or where ever one would take this type of thing for $$) been notified?
You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.  - Eleanor Roosevelt

tgoddess

"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

scoon

I know a few places that don't ask many questions.

Berwyn Patsy

How often is the Park police or regular police able to patrol the Park?

Bear

Most plaques are die cast brass, they have little value as scrap.
I am sure this is just the work of some troublemakers.

What is disheartening is the feeling of violation, especially to those who
the monuments were dedicated to, and those of us who enjoy our beautiful parks.

I am sure the BPD will replace them ASAP, and they will find a way to bring the Mraz fountain back
to its full glory and impenetrable to further acts of vandalism. Never let this ilk win.

If I ever saw such vandalism, the perp would pray that the cops got to him before I did.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

A.Malina

Quote from: Bear on August 10, 2007, 06:50:38 PM

If I ever saw such vandalism, the perp would pray that the cops got to him before I did.
police were told at least this one was copper, which is of high value just now.

Not content with ripping off churches, houses

July 16, 2007, 8:04 PM
A citizen in Proksa Park, 30th and Wisconsin, reported someone stole a copper dedication plaque off a boulder.
Posted by Editor on 07/21 at 09:13 PM

http://www.berwynpoliceblotter.com/index.php/site/2007/07/P150/
"I have never killed a man but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

Bear

Malina...Perhaps you missed the intent of the overall message, copper, brass
has no bearing on the subject, we are talking end result here.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

A.Malina

Quote from: Bear on August 10, 2007, 09:43:59 PM
Malina...Perhaps you missed the intent of the overall message, copper, brass
has no bearing on the subject, we are talking end result here.
I am sure this is just the work of some troublemakers.
Troublemakers take anything.  Scrappers take copper

Bear

Yes they do....And 60402 has still been violated,
what is your point.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Bear on August 10, 2007, 09:53:20 PM
what is your point.

I think her point is that this was stolen for financial gain, not for the purposes of vandalism.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

A.Malina

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on August 10, 2007, 10:25:18 PM
Quote from: Bear on August 10, 2007, 09:53:20 PM
what is your point.

I think her point is that this was stolen for financial gain, not for the purposes of vandalism.
Thank you, OPS, that was all I meant to indicate. 

Berwyn Patsy

Whatever the reasons, financial gain or vandalisim, it's something new that's never happen in the 30 years those plaques have been in the Park.
Times are changing and the whole purpose , I think of this thread, was the Park district is just asking for more watchful eyes and ears from the public. 

Bonster

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on August 11, 2007, 07:59:55 AM
Whatever the reasons, financial gain or vandalisim, it's something new that's never happen in the 30 years those plaques have been in the Park.
Vandalism is NOT new to our parks though...think Mraz ---
http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=3945.msg65974#msg65974

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on August 11, 2007, 07:59:55 AM
Times are changing and the whole purpose , I think of this thread, was the Park district is just asking for more watchful eyes and ears from the public. 
first sentence from Jeff:  "I would like to ask everyone who uses the parks to keep an eye open for theft. "

I don't use the parks much, not near them.  It's really up to those living near them to keep an eye out.  Aim your webcam out the window when you're not involved in "hot chat."  Granted one cannot see that far into Proksa, so how 'bout a few cameras?  No, not the flashing lights variety as seen in Chicago or Cicero, just a general security cam.  Cheap!

apatriot

Bonster, I'm not sure cameras would be effective.  It's just too damn dark in there.  Motion censors?  I don't think those would be any good either.  Residents can't see what's going on in there.  It's a nice size park.  Years ago it was patrolled.  All night?  I don't think so.  But if this is not kept in check it will only get worse.  This activity Jeff describes is a testing of the security of the park.  If left unchecked, don't be surprised if you hear of rape or a body found in there.   Now that said, if they could increase lighting in all the major dark areas of the park like the picnic area under the trees on the Home Ave. side just south of the tennis courts and near anything that could be vandalized or stolen and add a few cameras where they think it would benefit most, that might help.

Another idea, how about the police using Proksa at night to do search/seek with our canine officers.  The dogs get a good run to blow out and exercise, and at the same time, check the park for late night intruders.  Police should park the squads down from the park on a side street and walk it up so as to come up undetected.  If they were able to use the dogs three, four times (as available) during late night hours to let the dogs loose and run the park, that would be enough to deter ME from being in at the Park when I'm not supposed to be in there.

Let's review.  Some added lighting.  A few cameras placed where items could be stolen or vandalized.  Foot patrol to make sure Park is clear after hours (perhaps after 11:00 p.), and the rest of the night, visits from our canine officers to air, and exercise, and do a little snooping around.  I would think the human canine officers would love to have a nice park like that to treat their dogs to some well deserved exercise and at the same time send a message that if you want to come to Proksa and fool around in there, expect a bite in the ass.  A nice big sign to that effect at the park would also help send the message.

Attention:  Effective bla bla, The Berwyn Park District in cooperation with the The Berwyn Police Department will be using Proksa Park as a Training Center for canine police each day after normal closing hours of the Park.  For your protection and safety we ask that you please depart the Park promptly at closing ___________ p.m.  The Park is open again each day for public use at __________ a.m.  Thank you for your cooperation.

Something like that.  Then you have a big push on this scenario the first couple of weeks. 

That will get them thinking.

Just some thoughts.  Maybe not the greatest, but if it could help, why not ?

Bonster

Quote from: apatriot on August 11, 2007, 01:29:29 PM
Bonster, I'm not sure cameras would be effective.  It's just too damn dark in there. 

It's 2007.  You don't need lights for cameras.

The rest of it's OK.  Do we have multiple 24 hour canine units on patrol?  One dog will not cover the entire park in short order.
Do we want to spend our $$ on multiple officers and multiple dogs watching Proksa 4+ hours per night?  I, for one, don't.

I agree about the signage.  In fact, I think that's an important part in letting idiots know that measures are being taken, making them think a bit. 
I've always wanted signs at the beginnings of major arteries in Berwyn for the noise ordinance to inform the ignorant before they inform me of their presence.