News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

World Wide Day of Play at Proksa Park on September 29th

Started by Jeff Janda, September 17, 2007, 06:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Janda

The World Wide Day of Play is an event being held around the world on September 29th to encourage children to get out and be active.  Nickelodean, the NRPA, the William J. Clinton Foundation, and the American Heart Association  have partnered on this project to encourage children to eat healthy, excerise, and commit to healthier lifestyles to combat childhood obesity.

The Berwyn Park Disrict and Kids First Sports, Inc. will be offering a variety of FREE activiites from 2:00 pm until 6:00 pm for children ages 6-12 at Proksa Park to encourage them to get out and play.  Information on healthy eating, healthy snacks, and activity ideas to help keep kids enthusiastic about keeping fit will also be available. 

Come Join Us on this World Wide Day of Play and take a step towards healthier living!

For more information call 795-2892 or visit www.berwynparks.org.

chandasz

Nothing for younger kids?

Very disappointed with the park district offerings. I did get a brochure though!

There was only one thing offered on a weekend for children in the 3 year old range. Not all of us parents get to be stay-at-home.

Now I have to look to Oak Park to find a dance class for my little girl

Boris

Quote from: chandasz on September 20, 2007, 08:49:48 AM
Nothing for younger kids?

Very disappointed with the park district offerings. I did get a brochure though!

There was only one thing offered on a weekend for children in the 3 year old range. Not all of us parents get to be stay-at-home.

Now I have to look to Oak Park to find a dance class for my little girl

This event is sponsored by Nikelodeon, not the Park District. You should aim your ire at them.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Boris

I see that...sort of. The PD offers numerous...MANY programs and camps for 3-6 year-olds...just not on the weekends. There is a reason for that: a) to give stay-at-home parents activities for their children during the week. b) to give working parents activities during the week that their au pair/nanny/babysitter/uncle or sister can take the young-uns to.

Very few institutions or park districts offer kid programs on weekends...the Morton Arboretum has a lot of more adult oriented programs that you can bring your kids along to like the Dinner Theatre Hike:

QuoteDinner Theatre-Hike:
Little Women

4 p.m.
Parking Lot 21
Thornhill Shelter
Adults: $37 ($40 non-member)
Children (ages 2–11): $27
($30 non-member)
Reservations required by 3 p.m.
Sept. 13.
This late afternoon performance is followed by a buffet dinner with the actors in the Ginkgo Restaurant.
See Sept. 1 & 2 for details.

...all fine and good, but I'd bet anyone who brings a two-year old to a late afternoon theatre will spend a great deal of the show outside with a kid that has gone nuclear.

BPD does offer more than one family activity on weekend days, however: Safely Spooky on Saturday Oct. 27, Octoberfest this Saturday, Festival of Lights-December 8, Polar Express-December 8 & 9, as well as a spaghetti dinner and a craft fair.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller