News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

I found a twenty-dollar bill in the pocket of a jacket I haven't worn in a while

Started by markberwyn, May 28, 2005, 03:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markberwyn

So I thought I'd blow it on music downloads.

It's easier to say what I *don't* like rather than what I do. So, please, no Celtic music, no New Age, no earnest folkies, no Chicago blues acts doing the same thing Muddy Waters did 50 years ago. I not generally excited by metal, but I'm willing to be convinced. I'm mainly looking for new stuff, but anything goes. Any recommendations?
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

jqpublic

Bill Bruford, Elvin Bishop, The Donnas, and Audioslave.

That  ought to keep you busy.

Think of how stupid the average person is and realize half of them are stupider than that.

shrugger

I've been on a real kick lately for My Morning Jacket. epic 70's style country rock. think an updated version of Neil Young or the Allman Bros.

just a thought...
we must cultivate our garden

markberwyn

Definitely, Shrugger--I like "It Still Moves" a lot. How they wound up on a label run by the generally intolerable Dave Matthews is beyond me, though.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

T-Stan RPCV

Tom Waits. Albums Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs and Frank's Wild Yeas are near the top of my list.  Definately unique, hard to define the style.

If you like live stuff, check out some of the bands and set lists from past Bonnaroo shows www.bonnaroo.com many performances were online for download after the 2004 show but I'm not sure if they're still available at that site, you may need to search a little.

markberwyn

I'm a huge fan of Tom Waits -- "Bone Machine" may be one of my all-time favorite albums -- though I haven't heard anything he's done since "Mule Variations."

Bonnaroo? I'm generally skeptical of jam bands, but I'll take look. Thanks!

markberwyn

I'm a huge fan of Tom Waits -- "Bone Machine" may be one of my all-time favorite albums -- though I haven't heard anything he's done since "Mule Variations."

Bonnaroo? I'm skeptical of jam bands, but I'll take look. Thanks!

T-Stan RPCV

Mule Variations made my OK list, and I too, kind of stopped looking for anything new from him.  I discovered him about 5 years ago and his library of older stuff is so good I havent gotten around to checking out anything new.  I would put Rain Dogs as one of my all time favorites. 

Just picked up Small Change and it hasnt been ejected from my car's CD player for 2 weeks.  I'll be sure to grab Bone Machines next.  Thanks for the tip.

Robert Pauly

Anything by Los Lobos - By the Light Of the Moon or Kiko for starters
Brad Paisley - Mud On the Tires - rock enfused country - fab guitar player
John Hiatt - Bring the Family (from the archives!), his new album's supposed to be good, too

saluki

Ah, you guys are right on.  Tom Waits is a musical god!  "Rain Dogs", "Bone Machine" and "Swordfishtrombones" are in my top 20 favorite CDs.   Don't have "Small Change" yet, how does that compare to RD and BM? 

Saw Tom during the Mule Variations tour at the Chicago Theatre and was blown away.  Wish I could've seen him in the 70's but don't think an 8 to 10 year old would have the same appreciation for Waits' music.

BTW, he's a phenomenal actor as well...check him out in "Down By Law" and "Shortcuts".  If you enjoy cabaret/jazz, the Shortcuts soundtrack is great too and Waits wrote some of the tunes.  It's unbelievable how many great songs you hear and then learn that Tom Waits wrote the lyrics!

Bear

Wow Tom Waits, that brought back memories....waltzing Matilda....saturday night
the piano has been drinking....

Never did like that dog..

Here is some of my back yard summer play list:

Sinatra-Summer breeze
ELO - Face the music
Bruce - All E-street stuff
Meat Loaf - Bat out of hell ( ya gotta trust me on this one)
Roxy - Greatest hits
West Side Story - original soundtrack (the neighbors love to hear me sing Maria
while Im wearing head phones
Material Issue - this kid was a musical genious ( Rene remains the same!)
Boy George - OK I hear you all moaning, but he did a couple good tunes
John Coltrane - greatest hits (favorite things, not the Julie Andrews version)
Ray Charles greatest hits - (not the movie soundtrack)
Who- who's next
Steely Dan, Katy Lied - Doctor Wu, Rose Darling
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

ruffian

Pink Floyd
ZZ Top
Led Zeplin
Moody Blues
Eagles
Beatles
Stones
Bob Seeger
Four Tops
Little Anthony and the Imperials
Righhteous Bros.
Sly and the Family Stone
The Gap Band
Morris Day and the TIME

Boney James
Kenny Ball

Beethovan
Motzart
Bach
Chopin
Schubert

Al Gromer Khan

markberwyn

Quote from: saluki on July 05, 2005, 10:20:04 AM

BTW, he's a phenomenal actor as well...check him out in "Down By Law" and "Shortcuts".  If you enjoy cabaret/jazz, the Shortcuts soundtrack is great too and Waits wrote some of the tunes.  It's unbelievable how many great songs you hear and then learn that Tom Waits wrote the lyrics!

He's done a lot of nice turns in Jim Jarmusch films, "Coffee & Cigarettes" most recently; I think the first Tom Waits album I actually bought was the "Night On Earth" soundtrack, since I loved that movie so much I caught it three times in the theater. And he's the only reason to watch Francis Ford Coppola's godawful "Dracula."

markberwyn

Quote from: Bear on July 05, 2005, 12:17:17 PM

Material Issue - this kid was a musical genious ( Rene remains the same!)

Now I have "Valerie Loves Me" stuck in my head. This isn't a bad thing.

OakParkSpartan

See if you can find a guy named Jon Dee Graham...saw him at Fitzgerald's last weekend, and he rocked...ended up buying 2 of his cd's.

http://www.jondeegraham.com/

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bear

To quote Clint from that movie where he was a DJ stalked by a listener....
"Hers's some more tunes for your listening enjoyment"

Randy Newman -  That pesky Uncle Al... dont know how I left him off
my first list, a songwriter who thinks in Bear terms...and we are both old and fat...
Chicks dig us!

Todd - Another huge oversight

Bright Eyes - 1st day of my life

Wilco- Theologians

Dakotas - Sitting back thinking of you

Jebb Loylld (not sure on the name) - from last summer...."its a summer time thing"

That last post on the Loafmeister is wrong- Its bat out of hell II....not the first one

Repeat after me...."Ah one....ah two"
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

scungili

Hi Mark,

Not sure where you're downloading from, but I've had great luck with emusic.com .... completely legit & totally non-major label.  Very affordable plus tons of variety & selection.

Back in the days when LP's were king, I could afford to go out & pick what I called "mystery albums".  Basically I'd have no idea what I was buying. I'd pick something due to cover art or band name or album title or song titles. That way I'd discover something totally new ... granted I discovered several stinkers - BUT, I most likely wouldn't have stumbled across The Ramones, The Stooges or The Buzzcocks when I did. Anyhow ... CD's came out and were priced considerably higher ... so bye-bye "mystery album".

Well now I can get my mystery album fix from emusic. A few of the bands I came across that I really like are:

- The Riverboat Gamblers ... Texas Rock-n-Roll with reckless abandon! Saw 'em last night at the Empty Bottle & they tore the house down.
- The Detroit Cobras ... Guttsy covers of soulful rock-n-roll from the 50's/60's ... NOT a tribute band ... They really make the songs their own.
- Sahara Hotnights ... Buncha sassy sexy ladies who rock-n-roll like the boys.

Besides lots of new bands on independent labels, there are great reissues of artists that were on a major like The New York Dolls, The Cramps, Nick Cave, Tom Waits, Peter Murphy ... etc etc.  And they also do LIVE recording releases from venues all over the country ... they have a few recorded at Metro, Schuba's & Double Door.

Have Fun!

WIZARD

I'm a classic guy...

Led Zepplin
The Doors
Maria Callas
CSN&Y
Prince & the Revolution
The Intruders
Santana
Queen
Billy Idol