News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Big Hurt Brewhouse

Started by B60402, April 18, 2013, 10:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dukesdad

Salvage One is overrun with artifacts worth saving. There are lots more people interested in getting rid of "stuff" than people interested in buying it. It's got to be pretty special to get the architectural salvage folks to take it, even for free.

renovatorbear

Quote from: B o n s t e r on December 02, 2013, 11:02:26 PM
Now I'll be able to use those coupons I always get by email.  And stay fat forever.   :oink:

Right on, brother!  :oink:

800 Pound Gorilla

Quote from: justme on December 02, 2013, 07:44:01 PM
Quote from: mustang54 on December 01, 2013, 11:01:42 AM
Quote from: Sandy on December 01, 2013, 09:22:10 AM
Wondering what was / is being done with the architectural artifacts that had been piled against the bank building. Would really hate to think of them being tossed.
Who gives a shit about artifacts, it was a frickin bank not the vatican!! If your cities history revolves around a bank that has been empty for 4 decades your city is in sad shape. Be happy the biggest eyesore in the area is finally being cleaned up and bringing in tax revenue.

Careful...all of those "We need to preserve" people will start up. Considering that preserving in Berwyn fails , I am one for tearing that whole thing down and rebuilding.  It's been one fail after another so if people wanted "preserve" so badly,they did nothing to prove it.

HOME RUN INN BRING IT ON!

I happen to think Berwyn is a nice place to live, unlike so many who complain about it.    But seriously, "tear the whole thing down?"    There's no reason the bank building can't be preserved even with re-development.    If the Home Run Pizza is indeed built in the vacant lot next door (allowing those interested to remain fat as desired), my hope is that the Frank Thomas folks are tasteful in how the Big Hurt concept is built out.   It could look really beautiful if done right.     

The Walgreens in the city at Damen and North Avenue is a good example of how an old bank building can be rehabbed into a new business while still preserving much of the architecture.     Berwyn's very few historic buildings deserve the same chance, and I hope things work out for this bank building.

(And I hope Big Hurt doesn't turn out to be another Riddles Comedy Club.    The only joke there was on the taxpayers.)

berwyn senator

Was that a complaint? About Riddles Comedy club being a joke on taxpayers!

OakParkSpartan

The owner of Riddles was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer soon after it opened I believe.  Not a joking matter.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

berwyn senator

renovatorbear

There is work being done on the bank building. Several new sets of doors and windows have been added to the west side of the building...

renovatorbear

There's a lot more happening on the bank building now.  They've begun an addition on the west side of the building now...

jfrickind

They're working 7 days a week on that building.  And it all looks legit, from a distance.  This shit might happen.

scottymac

Well he sure was talking it up quite a bit during his interview on ESPN radio Friday afternoon. Along with his beer, sounded like he was really into that as well.

mustang54

EVERYONE in the area should be happy the two biggest eyesores and wastes of prime property are going to finally be fixed. The old bank on Oak Park and 22nd and the old Berwyn Finer Foods store across from the hospital. I've said for MANY years on this site that bank is the key to revitalizing that area. The food store across from the hospital will do well if its anything like their store was in the plaza. I really think both locations will do really well for their owners. Good luck to both of them!

jfrickind

Quote from: mustang54 on March 24, 2014, 01:25:51 PM
  EVERYONE in the area should be happy the two biggest eyesores and wastes of prime property are going to finally be fixed. The old bank on Oak Park and 22nd and the old Berwyn Finer Foods store across from the hospital. I've said for MANY years on this site that bank is the key to revitalizing that area. The food store across from the hospital will do well if its anything like their store was in the plaza. I really think both locations will do really well for their owners. Good luck to both of them!

Soon as they open - first rounds on me!

dukesdad

It seems like work on this has come to a screeching halt! Anybody know what's up? He talked about being open for opening day.......

MrSomewhere

We haven't seen ANY activity there in a month. The first week of April a contractor showed up and collected his material -a trailer load of plywood and studs and rolled out, the next day the half empty dumpster was picked up. since then, no developers, contractors ...no one. They had crews out working when temps were still in the teens, but since the thaw... nothing. I find that very odd. I would think that the principals involved would be doing a site visit every week or so, or some sub contractors showing up to do "take offs" especially with all of the site/base work to be done, even if there are snafu's with the build-out itself, time is money, especially in the spring/summer months
The only reason I'm adding my $0.02 is that we live on that block of Grove, and I've been in construction 20+ yrs.
So im thinking this "screeching halt" cant be good, but i guess time will tell, I'm still hoping for the best.

Cermakplaza

Sure doesn't look good driving past...no work or signs of life at all.

mustang54

Quote from: Cermakplaza on May 27, 2014, 11:11:14 AM
Da da dum dum dum, another one bites the dust? Who qualifies these big shot buyers 3 rd graders? Quit fartin around and knock the damn eyesoar down!

justme

Quote from: mustang54 on May 27, 2014, 12:11:44 PM
Quote from: Cermakplaza on May 27, 2014, 11:11:14 AM
Da da dum dum dum, another one bites the dust? Who qualifies these big shot buyers 3 rd graders? Quit fartin around and knock the damn eyesoar down!

Exactly. Every time there's a "big project in the works" for that corner I don't even think twice because as we have seen, it doesn't happen. I don't believe any of it and won't until the day I walk through the doors of a new business there.

jfrickind

Actually all this week they've been working again.  They have a lot of equipment for sewers (maybe?) in the lot and there's been trucks driving in and out again.  Oh, and there's a new port a potty there as well so either they're back at it or someone is trying to add a bathroom onto their house on the cheap.

renovatorbear

I saw that activity too, but hard to tell if it's related to that project or if the lot is being used to store stuff for another project.  Time will tell...

mustang54

Maybe the construction was stopped because they have to wait for utility or plumbing work to be done outside of the building?