News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

MLB is weak

Started by jqpublic, March 24, 2007, 09:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jqpublic

Craig Biggio was angry at the commissioner's office Thursday night after he was told to stop wearing a pin on his cap that bears the logo of a foundation that helps children with cancer.

The Houston Astros star said he has worn the bright yellow, sun-shaped pin, featuring the logo for the Sunshine Kids foundation, on his hat during spring training games for the past 20 years without a problem. He is the national spokesman for the foundation and is very active in its work.

"I'm not a disrespectful person and I don't disrespect the game," Biggio said. "But I've been wearing this pin for 20 years because it puts smiles on 20,000-something cancer patients' faces."

Biggio said someone in the commissioner's office contacted the Astros about instructing him to remove the pin, but he wasn't sure who it was. He said Houston general manager Tim Purpura was sent a fax with a picture of Biggio from Wednesday night's game.

Purpura declined to comment on the matter, as did a spokesman for Major League Baseball.

"Major League Baseball does a lot of good things, but this is one of the stupid things," Biggio said.

His comments came after he left Houston's 16-2 loss to the Washington Nationals on Thursday night.

The 41-year-old second baseman, who is 70 hits shy of 3,000, said he wears the pin in spring training because many of the pictures for baseball cards are taken during those games and the children like seeing the pin on those cards.

"That's what it's about," he said. "If somebody wants to sit in an office and feel good about themselves, they should feel real bad about this one. They didn't think about all the cancer kids that get enjoyment out of it."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070323/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbn_astros_angry_biggio&printer=1
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize half of them are stupider than that.