News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Life of Others - Great movie

Started by binchen6, October 24, 2007, 12:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binchen6

It's rare that I'd advertise for a movie but this one is really good.

It's German and has subtitles but it's worth it

M

What did you like about the movie?
"When I do good, I feel good... When I do bad, I feel bad...
That is my religion" - Abe Lincoln

binchen6

I liked:
Getting a sense of the time when the Stasi was using major surveillance in East Germany.
The extend of surveillance is unbelievable. One of the actors actually was a victim at that time.

I also was intrigued by the fact that you start liking an unlikely character.
The personality change in that man is very subtle and gradual and shows a great performance.

Did you see it and didn't like it?

M

There was a lot I didn't know about the history at that time in Germany.  I felt so ignorant, but I learned a lot from the movie.  I just watched it alone, so I wanted to hear what someone else liked about it.  I could probably watch it a second time and pick up even more from it, as it took me a while (the first time) to understand exactly what was going on.  I'm glad I saw it.
"When I do good, I feel good... When I do bad, I feel bad...
That is my religion" - Abe Lincoln

OakParkSpartan

Is this out on DVD?  I didn't see it on NetFlix.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

kurto

Saw it a few months ago via Netflix.
Thought it was well done.  What I found educational about this movie that the
historical period covered in the movie was really not that long ago.  I caught myself thinking during the
movie that this was something that was occuring when my parents were kids, but this was happening while
I was a kid. 
The most efficient form of birth control is to spend a Saturday afternoon at North Riverside Mall

binchen6

Yes, we saw it on Netflix a month or so ago.

I am from Germany and it happening in the same country I grew up in it so weired. At the end when you see all the files, that really exists and people were able to look into who was a informant on them - spouses, friends - a very sad thought not to be able to trust the people closest to you.

I also think it's kind of scary how people in power can abuse their resources - I wouldn't be surprised if that really happens.
Surveillance is such a hot topic now in the US - that it happend and is still happening is extremly disturbing.

Bonster

Quote from: binchen6 on October 30, 2007, 12:08:48 PM
At the end when you see all the files, that really exists and people were able to look into who was a informant on them - spouses, friends - a very sad thought not to be able to trust the people closest to you.

Whoa...
Come to think of it, I still haven't checked that folder L8N shuffled to me on my way out the other night...
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

binchen6

That folder won't tell you anything new - a beautyful, smart, fierce women with nothing to hide :)