News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

PLASMA, LCD, or Microdisplay (DLP, HD-ILA, etc, etc)

Started by pioneer, January 05, 2006, 01:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pioneer

Has anyone here made the move to HDTV yet?

If so, what type of TV technology did you decide on? And why?  Which model/brand can you recommend from personal experience?

I am leaning towards a Plasma (Pioneer or LG), but I really like the new DLP 1080Ps from Mitsubishi and Samsung.

I do not like the "screen-door" effect from LCD, some can't see it, but I unfortunately can.

dukesdad

Made the move a couple of years ago. I have a Toshiba 57" rear projection that is spectacular. Rear projection works in the particular application since the size of the TV does not matter. It gets HD both off the Directv satellite and an antenna in the attic. Local channels come in great off the antenna and I get all the other HD off the dish. I just purchsed an LG 32" LCD for a small TV room we have upstairs, I also get local HD off the antenna and I did not bother with an HD satellite receiver for it since it's my wife's TV and she almost never watches anything off the dish. HD is dynamite on either TV, seems like you can reach in and touch stuff on the screen. I bought both sets through a Berwyn business, Automated Lifestyles, they do mostly home automation and high end home theatres, they do a great job and were very reasonable. There are places you can get it done cheaper, but setup of flat screens especially, is critical if you want a great picture and you want the TV to look right. So many I have seen are hung too high or too low and have wire running all over the place. Mine looks like a picture hanging on the wall and has no wiring showing whatsoever.

Bob Kowalski 708-606-4282   rob@alichicago.com

T-Stan RPCV

I picked up a 50 inch Panasonic rear projection LCD last summer.   I purchased it based on Consumer Reports recommended model and the fact that I got it off the floor at Circuit City for 50% off to make room for a newer model.  Love it.

Screen door is a problem, but only on lower resolution broadcasts.  When I was shopping non-HD or non-digital pictures looked like crap on larger TVs regardless of the technology.  I would check out the models your interested in side by side if possible using both a HD and conventional signal.  As more broadcasts switch to HD I'm hoping it becomes a non-issue.

Ted

pardon my ignorance, but what is the "screen door" effect?

thanks
ted

OakParkSpartan

It almost looks pixelated.  Ever try playing an action game on a computer who's video card is too slow?  I believe the effect is due to the mirrors in the DLP being too slow to keep up with the action.

That being said, T-Stan is right, that the HD looks great, and I only noticed the distortion at lower resolution.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

WIZARD

I just bought an open box 42 inch plasma at Circuit City in Darien, for a thousand bucks. I would rather drive to Darien than deal with those idiots on Harlem.   They have 20% off all open boxes through Saturday.  Also 12 month interest free.  I am shocked at HDTV, by 2009 I believe all broadcasters must transmit by HD. I watched Gladiator... what a picture.  Combined with my 5.1 system I was in heaven.  Does anyone have 6.1 or 7.1???  I 'm wondering if I should upgrade my receiver.

Ozman /  HDTV Cubfan

dukesdad

Bear

Man those plasmas sure throw off some serious heat,
not to mention a huge drain on electricity. I will probably wait as prices continue to tumble,
plus my old analog Magnavox has an outstanding picture. From what I have
seen in the stores this remains true with the Philips/Magnavox plasmas.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Bonster

Quote from: Ted Korbos on January 05, 2006, 07:03:26 PM
pardon my ignorance, but what is the "screen door" effect?

thanks
ted
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on January 05, 2006, 08:23:50 PM
It almost looks pixelated.  Ever try playing an action game on a computer who's video card is too slow?  I believe the effect is due to the mirrors in the DLP being too slow to keep up with the action.
Ted-
The aforementioned screen door effect was for LCD.  DLP has slightly different issues.
At close range, it literally looks like you're viewing through a screen door - a very subtle hint of conjoined squares across the entire screen.  At recommended viewing distance, it should unnoticeable.  Recent upgrades in LCD technology (Sony's 3-chip LCD, and other proprietary measures) have reduced this effect greatly.
DLP is not as good with fast action sequences as OPS noted, but if you're in a constrained space (heh, my basement, seated close), you won't have the screen door effect.

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Beans

Bonster

Bonster

My coworker had a lot of problems with his plasma, but I had chalked that up to it being an early generation model.

mustang54

My brother just bought 2 dlp's a 57 and a 42 inch Sonys. My son has a Samsung dlp. All are nice but the new 57 inch Sony is superb. We went up to ABT Electronics in Glenview. Great place with models you do not see at Circuit City or Best Buy. The Mitsubishi's are also real nice. If you have never been to ABT do yourself a favor and check it out. Great place!

Boris

Well, I finally got one...me and the Mrs. don't really watch that much TV, and have no use for cable/dish. Movies is where our needs demand a big sharp screen. After much research we settled on the Panasonic plasma with HD tuner and card-slot. After a weekend of fidgeting with on-screen controls, drilling holes in the house, mounting an HD antenna...more fidgeting etc. etc. etc...

...all I can say is WOW! HDTV is worth it, and the picture you can get OTA (over-the-air) is as good or better than cable...and of course, free.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Bonster

Did you get a new or special antenna for that?

What size, and for what room?

dukesdad

My HD antenna is just a normal Radio Shack antenna and it is in my attic. I know people that get HD with rabbit ears. The beautiful thing about HD over the air is that there is no such thing as a bad picture, it's either perfect or you don't get any picture at all.

Boris

Quote from: Bonster on December 11, 2006, 12:33:31 PM
Did you get a new or special antenna for that?

What size, and for what room?

I got the amplified version of the Lacrosse antenna:

http://antennasdirect.com/lacrosse.html

It looks good (for an antenna), but is relatively new so I bought it even though review sites don't have much to say about it.

I then went to antennaweb.org:
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx
the tool on this site displays a map showing where to point your antenna...for me (and you) almost all channels are at at headings A and B (Hancock and Sear Tower):

Channel 2 is a bit flakey...but I am reading up now on fixes.

UPDATE: I bought mine from PC Alchemy:
http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_info.php/pName/terrestrial-digital-lacrossea-multidirectional-hdtv-antenna/cName/hdtv-antennas

they have much better prices than Antennas Direct

dukesdad

Boris:

That's a cool looking antenna but it had to cost a lot more than the $35 Radio Shack antenna that hangs in my unfinished attic. I get all the local HD channels perfectly with it, including channel 2.

Boris

It was $120 (hardware included). I tried a RadioShack antenna (about $45), but couldn't really hook into the HD signals...this thing grabs 'em like Nacho Libre!