News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Orb - TV Anywhere

Started by scoon, March 08, 2007, 11:06:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoon

TV anywhere, if you have the right tools anyway.

I sprung for a desktop computer with a TV tuner, but I didn't use it as much as I thought I would.  Then the other day I downloaded Orb (www.orb.com) and I can now watch live TV or recorded shows anywhere I have an internet connection.  If you have a phone that runs Windows Mobile as I do, you can watch Orb on that too. 

Right now I'm watching the Daily Show and Colbert Report at my desk and it looks like I'm working and listening to mp3s...  and I'm looking forward to not missing the NCAA tourney cause I'm "working". 

I used to wonder what people did for eight hours a day at work before the internet, now I'm going to wonder what I did before Orb.

Bonster

What kind of connection do you have for your phone? 
Do you have one of those high speed wireless connections, or is that just over a regular GSM cell connection?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

scoon

Quote from: Bonster on March 08, 2007, 01:33:55 PM
What kind of connection do you have for your phone? 
Do you have one of those high speed wireless connections, or is that just over a regular GSM cell connection?

I have the Verizon ulimited data package running on CDMA EV-DO which according to their website:

Quote from: Some hack who wrote content that no one ever reads for Verizon shortly before ending it all in a binge of booze and sleeping pillsBroadbandAccess customers in enhanced broadband wireless coverage areas can expect average download speeds of 600 kilobits per second (kbps) to 1.4 megabits and average upload speeds of 500-800 kbps.

Bonster

ahh, yes...high speed wireless from Verizon.  Is that portable, say to your laptop if you so wanted?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

scoon

Quote from: Bonster on March 08, 2007, 02:51:22 PM
ahh, yes...high speed wireless from Verizon.  Is that portable, say to your laptop if you so wanted?

I would probably need a card for the laptop to which they would want to assign a new phone number which would require a different plan...  so I'm guessing no.

But the point of the Pocket PC phone is you don't need a laptop.