News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Sopranos tonight!!

Started by Berwyn Patsy, April 08, 2007, 11:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tony la

Bronx tale  fabulous movie.  29th street best movie I ever saw.  It will make you laugh,and cry in the same minute.  Your stomach will be sore from laughing so much.  I really can't believe it really never got good press.  Danny Aiello is in it also his son.  Anthony Lapaglia is in it as a youngster.  Lanny Kazan, and a young Paulie Walnuts.

The movie is based on a true story of Anthony Lapaglia's best friend Frank Pesch who won the New York state first lottery.  Ya know what pesch means in Italian.  I'm telling everyone on this board to get a copy.  Over the years I personally bought 5 maybe 6 copies and let people use them and never returned them.  I don't care.  I will go get another one. 

Every once in a while you will see it on TV but they have to cut the language. Ruins the movie. 

Anyone else see the movie?
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Robert Pauly

Yeah, saw it - I believe it's based on a true story.  Great flic.

You guys are forgetting about Mean Streets.

Another sleeper is Two Family House featuring just about the entire cast of the Sopranos.

Rizzo

lets see, what sells movies, television scripts, and other types of entertainment hmmm.  sex, violence, secret organizations like organized crime, Davinci code etc.  Who writes , and produces and directs these "shows" are they not capable of sensitivity? These actors, producers, writers, directors, tech staff, are any of them offended by shows like the Sopranos.  I doubt the networks would produce a movie about famous inventors some of whom were italian.  Why? it would not make any money nor even pay for its own production.  The Seinfeld show made many jokes about a variety of ethnicities.  Hogans Heroes made comedy out of WW2 prisoner of war camps.  It just a TV show.  The actors and directors, writers, producers, are giddy as they go to the bank depositing the tons of money they are making portraying a fictional Italian mob family. 

Berwyn Patsy

Rizzo, good way to sum it all up.  I agree.

~LL~

Quote from: Melliman on April 09, 2007, 11:32:32 AM
Best comedy about an Italian family: Moonstruck

Best  ever"Italian family comedy"?  -- every Sunday for dinner at any one of my mother's (10) siblings' homes...where everyone gathers.  Hospitalization is the only acceptable excuse for not attending -- and, they've been known to take 'the show' to the hospital after dinner...or, bring the dinner and all eat with the infirmed who could not come to Sunday dinner!
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

mrs. scoon

Quote from: LL-Schmidt on April 10, 2007, 10:25:18 AM

Best  ever"Italian family comedy"?  -- every Sunday for dinner at any one of my mother's (10) siblings' homes...where everyone gathers.  Hospitalization is the only acceptable excuse for not attending -- and, they've been known to take 'the show' to the hospital after dinner...or, bring the dinner and all eat with the infirmed who could not come to Sunday dinner!

Now this sounds like there are some good stories!!
You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.  - Eleanor Roosevelt

~LL~

Quote from: mrs. scoon on April 10, 2007, 10:33:04 AM
Quote from: LL-Schmidt on April 10, 2007, 10:25:18 AM

Now this sounds like there are some good stories!!

Now you know where my sense of humor comes from.  Let's start with the fact of my uncles first names:  Leonardo, Renaldo, Donatello, Rafael, Pietro & Giovani.  Even as 30 & 40-something men, they had much fun when the Ninja Turtle craze first hit!
Honestly -- my mother's family is the most 'together' family I've ever seen in action -- and they are all comedians.  My four aunts were no slouches, either.  Even my grandmother was always up for a good joke or prank.  I lived with her for a while when I was in college -- and she punked me frequently!  Loved it.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Berwyn Patsy

I can't believe Tony killed Christopher!!  Only 3 more episodes left.
I bet Tony goes to the Big House in the finale

bohemian

I can see Tony's sister Janice killing him in the end.  They are both nuts and the whole basis of the show is family.  Why not have her take him out?  Just a thought for an explosive finale.
Du Hast Mich!

Berwyn Patsy

That could be, because then her husband Bobby can finally move up in the ranks.

mustang54

Quote from: bohemian on May 14, 2007, 07:54:07 PM
I can see Tony's sister Janice killing him in the end.  They are both nuts and the whole basis of the show is family.  Why not have her take him out?  Just a thought for an explosive finale.
Interesting scenario. But they have been showing the dark side of the son in the last few episodes. Hes turning into his father. Could he kill daddy? Or kill whoever else kills daddy?

MRS. NORTHSIDER

George - my husband is 100 percent Sicilian and watches The Sopranos and he enjoys it.  I think we need to remember that this is FICTIONAL and entertainment.  I certainly don't think the general public watches this show and then is afraid to go out to eat at an Italian restaurant because they may have to witness a mob hit.  And let's face it, anyone who thinks that the Mafia never existed is an idiot.  However, they represented a very, very small percentage of Italian-Americans in this country and I think this is a well known fact.

BTW - I think after what Tony did to his nephew, Christopher, in the last episode,  we're not gonna be so sad to see him go.  Family and loyalty are suppose to be what it's all about.  Once you violate that you're a goner.

renovatorbear

There was a time when I thought the majority of the main characters would survive, if only to be available in case HBO wanted to bring out a Sopranos feature film.  But now I'm not so sure...  Things could get mighty ugly.

That was a helluva look on Tony's face when he was dealing with Christopher...

tony la

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on May 15, 2007, 09:24:44 AM
George - my husband is 100 percent Sicilian and watches The Sopranos and he enjoys it.  I think we need to remember that this is FICTIONAL and entertainment.  I certainly don't think the general public watches this show and then is afraid to go out to eat at an Italian restaurant because they may have to witness a mob hit.  And let's face it, anyone who thinks that the Mafia never existed is an idiot.  However, they represented a very, very small percentage of Italian-Americans in this country and I think this is a well known fact.

BTW - I think after what Tony did to his nephew, Christopher, in the last episode,  we're not gonna be so sad to see him go.  Family and loyalty are suppose to be what it's all about.  Once you violate that you're a goner.

Your husband and I have that in common.  In my opinion the Sicilians are heart of that country.  Some of the most honest and humble peoples in all of Europe.
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Curious George

Your husband and I have that in common.  In my opinion the Sicilians are heart of that country.  Some of the most honest and humble peoples in all of Europe.

Seriously, Tony, are you smoking crack?  Sicilians the heart of Italy????  LOL

Count DMC

Forgive him, he knows not of what he speaks.
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

George - exactly who are the heart of Italy?   Please let me know because the Sicilians have a song for every one of them and they are quite funny - Tony La, are you willing to translate?  I'm sure you've heard all of them. 

OakParkSpartan

Just remember folks, I'm not responsible for who is writing this stuff...when you Italians start whacking each other, don't look at me.  ;)
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Northsider--NOT Northside 7

Quote from: curiousgeorgethemonkey on April 08, 2007, 10:27:30 PM
Panther, been there, done that.  Remember the ones on Ridgeland Ave too!  Did you read John Kass column today regarding his Easter tradition?  He was roasting a lamb in the garage today because of the cold weather.
It doesnt matter where you roast a lamb, it tastes good anywhere.
Clowns to left of me; Jokers to the right; Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

Northsider--NOT Northside 7

Quote from: tony la on April 09, 2007, 10:33:53 AM
George,

Not only am I Italian I am the best kind.  SICILIAN.  Now we have been stereotyped by our own Countrymen. 

My point is, that if I call you a loser, and you know you are not a loser it will not offend you.  But if I call you a loser and you really are a loser you WILL be offended.

Even though I was born here I heard all the stereotypes for as long as I could remember.  My brother-in-law feels the same way you do.  I can't tell you how many discussions we have had over the kitchen table about this subject.  For hours and hours. 

I am very proud of my heritage and I know my heritage.  Anyone that believes that all Italians are like the mobsters has the problem, not me.  I truly feel sorry for anyone that believes that.  I would say that more Italians make it bigger than it is, and that is fine too.

I love the Sopranos.  I can not get enough of them.  I'm not offended in the least. I could not be prouder of my Heritage.  Every heritage has this same ingredient.  Enjoy the show for what it is and lighten up.
I'll second that Tony, I think maybe the people who get their nuts in a bunch over this may not have ever known a mobster, maybe they feel slighted. If you've known one you'll know they are very ugly souls. Like when Tony Soprano killed Christopher last week, I think represents them more than the rest of the show does. It is what it is, thats life. Some of these guys are Psycho's. Like Mad Sam DeStephano who liived in Galewood, very sick son of a bitch.
Clowns to left of me; Jokers to the right; Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.