News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

RADIO STATIONS

Started by WIZARD, September 12, 2005, 11:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WIZARD

I WORK IN RADIO WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE STATION & PERSONALITY, MINE'S IS WGN RADIO AND jOHNATHON BRANDMEIER, THERE'S A RUMOUR HE MAY RETURN TO CHICAGO IN LATE SEPTEMBER ON THE LOOP.  HOPEFULLY THEY'LL REUNITE HIM WITH BUZZ.

OZ

Berwyn Patsy

Does anyone besides me (Oh God I hope I am not the oldest one on this board) remember an old time radio show called The Cinnamon Bear?? His name was Paddy O' Cinnamon?  I was just reminded of this delightful radio broadcast by a cousin of mine. He actually found a CD of 6 stories for my grandchildren.

Bear

Twins Judy and Jimmy Barton crawled into their attic one December day and found a passageway to a place called Maybeland. They looked in all the dusty corners for any sign of the silver star that always sat atop their Christmas tree. Their search crossed the path of little Paddy O'Cinnamon, "The Cinnamon Bear," who had shoe-button eyes and a ferocious growl. He showed them a small hole through which the Crazy Quilt dragon had absconded with their star and invited Judy and Jimmy to pursue the rascal. Paddy would function as a guide and they'd chase the dragon throughout Maybeland. Paddy magically "de-grew" the twins so they'd fit through the attic tunnel, fired up a miniature airplane powered by soda pop, and flew the Barton kids into a startling and wondrous adventure.

So begins "The Cinnamon Bear," a delightful, one-of-a-kind children's series produced in 1937 by TRANSCO, the Transcription Company of America. Intended to be heard between Thanksgiving and Christmas, the series features twenty-six fifteen-minute cliffhanger installments. The program immediately hooks children because suspenseful fun is always present as each episode concludes with yet another obstacle for Paddy and the twins to overcome. The dragon eventually joins up with the trio but remains unpredictable and mischievous. Named "Crazy Quilt," he succumbs time and time again to his obsession with the shiny silver star.
http://radioarchives.org/sets/PC31.htm

...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

pkd50

I remember it.   Wasn't it great!   I listened to it on our floor model Philco in our over crowded flat in Back of the Yards.  Great times....great memories.....thanks for reminding me of them.  P.S.  you're NOT the oldest on the board.

mmorrison

If you're interested in old-time radio, here's a link:  http://www.nostalgiadigest.com/Those%20Were%20The%20Days.htm

Chuck Schaden does a weekly Saturday afternoon program of old radio shows.  He's been doing the whole Cinnamon Bear series again this year; the last two installments will be on Christmas Eve. 

Mugster

I just came upon this thread now and thought I'd add to the "Cinnamon Bear" subject.  It's a little late now, but you can listen to the episodes online.  It's not the same as listening to it on the radio, but I don't think Chuck Schaden played it on his Saturday show this Christmas.

For any interested, the link is

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2006/11/30/the-cinnamon-bear-a-christmas-tradition/

Bear

Ol' cinnamon bear was a shameless ad guy
like me
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...