News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

2007 YEAR END BERWYN STATISTICS

Started by tony la, January 01, 2008, 02:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stillo

Tony,
I hope your not referencing me. I know your pom poms are shaking to a Berwyn Real Estate halftime routine but facts are facts. When berwyn values where up you where excited, though values where up everywhere including Cicero and the West side. I may add that Cicero's where up more than Berwyn's. Now values are down in Berwyn and up in other areas. The question is WHY?

As a professional it should be your responsibilty to be honest. The market is bad, probably the worst it's ever been. Berwyn has a 12 month supply of homes in inventory, that's a problem. Inventory I would guess will be up by Spring, that will add to the problem.

WHY? So why are values down in Berwyn and up in surroung communities.
A $50k drop in 3 flats to me is alarming, and I own a few.

PS. How's Cermak & OP doing? Does it take a year for a development agreement if the chosen plans to buy for $1 mil and build. That is very alarming also!
James D. Stillo
Skydan Real Estate Sales
www.SkydanGroup.com

Shelley

Quote from: Shelley on January 09, 2008, 10:07:41 PM
 So LaGrange is up 11% and Western Springs is up 6.8%? 

Oak Park is up 2.5%
Brookfield is down 2.75%
Berwyn is down 1.7%

All numbers are for single family homes and I agree that comparing Berwyn and LaGrange or Western Springs is less useful than comparing Berwyn with Cicero, Riverside, and Oak Park and Brookfield because I think the housing stock in those towns is more comparable to the housing stock in Berwyn, though OP and Riverside have a better/larger housing stock on the high end.   I'd like to compare the % increase/decrease for existing homes compared to new construction, too.   

berwynres

To the poster who asks why sales prices are down:  Aren't you a real estate agent who works in Berwyn, or am I confusing you with someone else?  If not, shouldn't you have an opinion as to why prices are down, and if so, what is it?  Thanks.

Hogzilla

Quote from: berwynres on January 10, 2008, 10:48:40 AM

To the poster who asks why sales prices are down:  Aren't you a real estate agent who works in Berwyn, or am I confusing you with someone else?  If not, shouldn't you have an opinion as to why prices are down, and if so, what is it?  Thanks.

I'm not an agent, but I would guess it has large part to do with an increase in inventory and decrease in eligible buyers. That is people with the money to spend or are willing to spend on a home. Second, it's a sign of the times. Hopefully I won't engage a political debate, there are plenty of those going on elsewhere on this board, but there is a noticeable change in the middle class. And those are the people that can afford homes in Berwyn, Brookfield, Cicero, etc.
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

tony la

Jim, 

You have always been pretty good at putting a spin on current events to promote your personal gain and ego.  I resent your picking on Berwyn for having lost 5% value in the last year, when most of the country is down, even your Westchester.There were a total of 13 three flats sold in Berwyn last year.  That average sale price could be changed by just 2 or 3 more sales.  You must admit it does not make a lot of sense that 3 flats are so close to the same price of 2 flats.

Jim, say what you want.  You are not helping by your negative comments.  You are saying what you want said about the statistics. When your father was in control you made the statistics say good things to make him look good.  I guarantee that you would not be talking about Berwyn this way if your father was still assistant Mayor.  Everything was ok, and good, and no problems.

That being said, I am a little dissappointed with the way the city has moved forward.  Maybe the next election we will have a better representative.  Maybe it will be Bob.  If it is,I will support him because I trust him.

I could also point out that the depot district is up in price 7%.  And there were actually more sales in 07 than 06.  The amount of sales in Western Springs went down and so did LaGrange.

Prices in Berwyn are down for no other reason that the lending problem the whole country is facing.  Any other explaination is just putting a spin on it for your personal gain.
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Bonster

Quote from: tony la on January 10, 2008, 04:55:21 PM
That being said, I am a little dissappointed with the way the city has moved forward.  Maybe the next election we will have a better representative.  Maybe it will be Bob.  If it is,I will support him because I trust him.

Yeah?  What did the "OLD GUARD" do for your housing values?  JACK!

(that's why I was able to move in here)

What's Bob going to do, market your houses for you? 

I think Jim Stillo nailed it when he was talking about the Bank building last year, and no one wanted to admit it!
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

mustang54

To me the corner of Oak Park and Cermak is a symbol of stagnation for the city. It has been the biggest eyesoar the city has ever had, and its gone on way too long. Everyone was impressed by the hiring of a famous architect. But i believe he was hired it was not his investment. If Berwyn wants a symbol of economic revitalization and show proof of true redevelopment it MUST start on that corner. Bulldoze that eyesoar and get something on that property.

Jim Stillo

Tony,

I never said Berwyn is so bad. All I did was come on here and post that other, local town's stats were up, compared to Berwyn's stats being down. "YOU" posted Berwyn's stats and the decrease in values.

Now let me ask you ... why are you selling your home in Berwyn? You have talked about how good the Berwyn schools are, in the past. For a person living in Berwyn, what schools do your children attend?

I have never come on here to promote myself. I think it's obvious why you come here to post.

For a guy who drives around with a picture of himself on both sides of his truck ... ha ha, you have a lot of nerve accusing others of trying to promote themselves. Honestly, your disapointment in me means nothing.
James D. Stillo
Skydan Real Estate Sales
www.SkydanGroup.com

Berwyn Patsy

We passed the corner of Oak Park & 22nd, we passed the corner of Stanley & Oak Park, and we passed the still empty,
poor looking Berwyn Finer Foods, yes we passed them all today.  What is going on?

tony la

Jim,  I am not moving out of Berwyn.  My daughter goes to St. Leonard.  We have issues like many other towns.   I am who I am.  I make not apologies to anyone,especially YOU!  I am not saying you are promoting yourself.  I am saying you are spinning the current market conditions to pet your ego.   All anyone has to do is look at your prior posts to see what you are about.  When you mention why are prices down.  You know as well as I do.  I am pretty proud that we are only down 5%.   Why do you keep asking why?  You know why.  I'm not promoting my agenda.  I'm promoting myself and my listings and my city. I think there is a little difference.
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Bonster

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on January 10, 2008, 06:40:33 PM
We passed the corner of Oak Park & 22nd, we passed the corner of Stanley & Oak Park, and we passed the still empty,
poor looking Berwyn Finer Foods, yes we passed them all today.  What is going on?

Same shit last 20 years, that's what's going on.
My, how quickly we forget.
Reread Stillo's prior assessment.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

MRS. NORTHSIDER

The market is not good - no one is disputing that.  The corner of Cermak and Oak Park is a HUGE problem for the city - no one is disputing that.   Why does Jim Stillo come on to BTF as a prophet of doom for Berwyn?  A particularly bad case of sour grapes relating to past failures in politics may be the answer - use your Google and find out why.  The man has not a good word to say about the town he grew up in, went to school in and started out in real estate in.  How many of you can say that?  I know I can't.

Guy_on_Clinton

Quote from: mustang54 on January 10, 2008, 06:24:04 PM
  To me the corner of Oak Park and Cermak is a symbol of stagnation for the city. It has been the biggest eyesoar the city has ever had, and its gone on way too long.

you mean more than the Underwear shop & cigarette store accross the street... or how about the other corner.. where its been a music store, furniture store, and now a bedding store...
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

mustang54

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on January 10, 2008, 06:40:33 PM
Patsy you missed the old police station on 26th!

Count DMC

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on January 10, 2008, 07:17:45 PM
The market is not good - no one is disputing that.  The corner of Cermak and Oak Park is a HUGE problem for the city - no one is disputing that.   Why does Jim Stillo come on to BTF as a prophet of doom for Berwyn?  A particularly bad case of sour grapes relating to past failures in politics may be the answer - use your Google and find out why.  The man has not a good word to say about the town he grew up in, went to school in and started out in real estate in.  How many of you can say that?  I know I can't.

How about he is just posting some of the facts about the City? Why is it when anyone mentions the negatives about this City like any other City in the area you goofs jump all over them? The fact is that the whole country is in a tail spin and will probably not come out until at least next year. Jim might not be 100% riight but to discount him as a naysayer is too simple.

And that empty lot on OP and 22nd looks better every day.
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.