News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

2 questions

Started by neona, March 16, 2008, 10:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allen

Hi neona:

I recently moved into Berwyn and I have to tell you that I love it here.  It is a great location with many wonderful families.  My children and wife love it here too.  The kids like their school and are looking forward to participating in Summer Camp. 

Our neighbors are fantastic!  We have felt very welcome. 

We live in the southside of Berwyn, and contrary to popular belief, we are Cubs Fans. ;D

The Metra is very convenient.  The park district is very nice.  The homes are beautiful.  I love taking walks in the neighborhood and looking at all the homes.
I think you and your family will be very happy that you chose Berwyn. (North or South!!!)  Good Luck finding a home.  It is a Buyers Market.
"There are risk and cost to a program of action, but they are far less than the long-range risk and cost of comfortable inaction."  JFK

watcher

Quote from: neona on March 17, 2008, 11:59:49 AM
Well, we definitely know that if we go the one bath route, the next bath has to be added within the first year.  We have only 1 in our apartment.  Usually with just the 2 of us it is ok, but add in the kid on the weekends and there are some crazy moments.  Add in a guest or 2 in the guest room and it's um ... fun.     ::)  Thanks Watcher, didn't know about the walls in a bungalow.  What were you referring to regarding exceeding 60%?  Monthly mortgage costs?  Remodeling costs?

We've actually considered going the forclosure or short sale route.  We have the time, but it seems to be a little more risky than we have tolerance for.  It seems like you can lose that few thousand in earnest money, and we don't have enough to lose.

As far as remodels, my man is pretty handy, as long as we have a really good foundation and something we can live in while remodeling, there are a lot of things he can do.  Put the plumbing in?  No.  Put in everything else after the plumbing is in?  Yes.  We saw some houses on the market that were completely gutted.  That would be so fun to create and work with, but can't afford to pay a mortgage on a place we can't live in (and still hire the plumber, electrician, etc.  And don't worry about putting an entire 2nd level on a bungalow.  Honestly, I LOVE bungalows.  I'm not looking to live in a mc mansion.  A few years ago I lived in a small bungalow in Des Plaines.  The dark wood trim was all still there, the glass doorknobs.  The attic was finished with just the front and back window bumped up.  The bedrooms were small and the bathroom the smallest I'd ever been in except for a cruise ship.  But I loved it.  Why would I need a huge bedroom?  We saw the pictures of some of the horrible add-ons in another thread.  We were horrified.  The only thing I really want is a soaking tub.  But if it can't happen, then it can't.  It's not a deal breaker.

The more I read of your "style", you may want to look for a Queen Anne Bungalow. You get Bungalow style in a slightly different configuration that lends itself to the kind of tweaking you seem to be hoping for.
Most have a more traditional stair to a more traditional upstairs with better BR dimensions. They aren't as plentiful in Berwyn but they're there.

The 60% refers to remodeling costs. There are many causes. Upgrades, domino effect repairs (one thing leads to another), afterthoughts and the ususal changes of mind and circumstances,
especially for DIY projects which are prone to growth.

Other than that, your attitude and approach are your biggest asset. You have time to look, so look a lot. Looking at too much at one time can cause burnout and confusion.
If you can stand it, once you've made your selection, live in the home before you start making changes. See how it "works" and how it doesn't.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass