News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Super block

Started by Suzy Q, July 14, 2010, 05:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suzy Q

Has there been any progress on the Super block situation?  Any takers?

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Suzy Q on July 14, 2010, 05:24:29 PM

The thriving economy may have something to do with it...
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

buzz

Good things are coming.  They're right around the corner, down the line.  No one can talk about it yet.  It's not finalized.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

jfrickind

They took the fence down that used to surround the whole building - now it just surrounds the empty lot.  There are people in the bank building everyday.  I can only assume they are workers as they do not appear to be homeless.

Perhaps they have an EXTREMELY exclusive restaurant in there already.

JD

LOL

"Perhaps they have an EXTREMELY exclusive restaurant in there already." -JD

It's Berwyn's best kept secret!
The word gullible isn't in the dictionary?

Mike Phelan

You can blame the economy all you want but what it all comes down to is that your city is a disaster.  Your BDC is a joke and your city is the laughing stock of the western suburbs.  The only reason the bank building is getting rehabbed is because the city sold the building to the developer for $1 and gave them several hundred thousand dollars in TIF assisstance.  If it weren't for that, no one would have touched it.  The city demolished the remainder of that block nearly ten years ago.  Your city couldn't get anything accomplished in one of the biggest real estate booms we will ever see.

mustang54

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on July 14, 2010, 08:41:30 PM

That building has been a blighted eyesore for 3 decades, the existing economy of the last couple of years is not an excuse. That building should have been torn down years ago. It was actually like a cancerous tumor that also killed everything else around it.

billyjean

Quote from: mustang54 on July 15, 2010, 01:39:24 PM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on July 14, 2010, 08:41:30 PM

That building has been a blighted eyesore for 3 decades, the existing economy of the last couple of years is not an excuse. That building should have been torn down years ago. It was actually like a cancerous tumor that also killed everything else around it.

As much as I would have liked to see that building saved, refurbished, and used for something that would be an anchor for that corner, at this point in time, I have to agree with mustang.  It's time to go, and put something there that will bring in tax money.  That whole area is a nightmare.

Mike Phelan

In large part, that boondoggle is the result of your Berwyn Historical Society's hard work.  All Lori Thelen tried to do for years was block any type of real progress without offering viable solutions.  Anything to save her beloved bank building.  I heard her antique shop recently closed it's doors.  Can anyone either confirm or deny this?

Bonster

Mike, what's with the "your" city, BDC, BHS stuff.  Did you move?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Terri

Quote from: Mike Phelan on July 15, 2010, 02:43:43 PM
In large part, that boondoggle is the result of your Berwyn Historical Society's hard work.  All Lori Thelen tried to do for years was block any type of real progress without offering viable solutions.  Anything to save her beloved bank building.  I heard her antique shop recently closed it's doors.  Can anyone either confirm or deny this?
Serendipity Antiques and Gifts on Stanley is very much open for business. One of the nicest shops in Berwyn.

http://ftp.pwp.att.net/s/h/shopserendipity/serendipity/

billyjean

Quote from: Terri on July 15, 2010, 03:28:00 PM
Quote from: Mike Phelan on July 15, 2010, 02:43:43 PM
In large part, that boondoggle is the result of your Berwyn Historical Society's hard work.  All Lori Thelen tried to do for years was block any type of real progress without offering viable solutions.  Anything to save her beloved bank building.  I heard her antique shop recently closed it's doors.  Can anyone either confirm or deny this?
Serendipity Antiques and Gifts on Stanley is very much open for business. One of the nicest shops in Berwyn.

http://ftp.pwp.att.net/s/h/shopserendipity/serendipity/

I went there on I believe Monday and both shops were closed around the noon hour.  Wanted to browse around for a gift.  Not sure about Serendipity cause I forgot to look, but the other shop had a sign which lists hours, and it was open just a couple days (I presume those where open hours, despite the big CLOSED sign right next to it).  

OakParkSpartan

Serendipity is open, has been open, and plans to stay open.  Wed - Sat 11 a.m. - 5:00 p.m

Knock this shit off or you are out.

Preservation isn't a bad thing.  Look at Oak Park and see what they are known for...it isn't crappy buildings. 

You need to ask why did the BDC mis-manage this for years.  If you get the opportunity, go back and read about the entire thing in the Berwyn Life.  Commissions, people pushing personal agendas...no one seemed to be looking out for what was best for the community.  Had this redevelopment progressed in a reasonable timeframe, we would not have the several decade long mess that was made.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Mike Phelan

Knock this shit off and who is out?  Are you referring to me?  I simply asked a question because that was what someone told me the other day.  In regards to the bank property, all I said was that for years all the historical society had done was try to save the bank building at any cost without ever offering any viable alternatives.  The historical society does nothing.  Sure they talk a lot about preservation and I remember how they would talk to the city council about all of these so called grants that were out there to save historic properties but never had I even seen them come with a grant application in hand.  They don't impress me.

The Jackal

Mike,

The Historical Society's purpose isn't to offer viable alternatives. That's the domain of the powers to be in the city. In a semi economically depressed community like Berrwyn, historic preservation is a hard sell, but if the community has ANY long term vision and/or goals, then it sometimes has to bite the bullet with respect to instant gratification in order to achieve the desired end result. As OPS said, take a look at Oak Park. All those historic buildings weren't preserved simply by the grace of God.

Thor

Quote from: The Jackal on July 16, 2010, 10:06:52 AM
Mike,

The Historical Society's purpose isn't to offer viable alternatives. That's the domain of the powers to be in the city. In a semi economically depressed community like Berrwyn, historic preservation is a hard sell, but if the community has ANY long term vision and/or goals, then it sometimes has to bite the bullet with respect to instant gratification in order to achieve the desired end result. As OPS said, take a look at Oak Park. All those historic buildings weren't preserved simply by the grace of God.
Not just Oak Park but LaGrange, Forest Park and Elmhurst.
I am curious Mike, what was your alternative when you were in office?
Stop your whining and think the way I do

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Mike Phelan on July 16, 2010, 09:29:36 AM
Knock this shit off and who is out?  Are you referring to me?  I simply asked a question because that was what someone told me the other day.  In regards to the bank property, all I said was that for years all the historical society had done was try to save the bank building at any cost without ever offering any viable alternatives.  The historical society does nothing.  Sure they talk a lot about preservation and I remember how they would talk to the city council about all of these so called grants that were out there to save historic properties but never had I even seen them come with a grant application in hand.  They don't impress me.

Yes, I was referring to you.

Have you heard of the Historic Berwyn Bungalow Tour?  You might want to check it out on Sept. 26 to see what else the BHS does.  In the past their focus was very much on preservation, but with the creation of the Preservation commission, they seem to be turning to a more traditional historical society.

They also just did the 20th annual antiques show this past spring.
They've assisted in getting three properties on the National Register of Historic Places.

BTW, they are looking for docents for this years Bungalow tour.

www.berwynbungalow.org

And here is there new BHS website...still under construction and still getting more content added.  
http://berwynhistoricalsociety.org/

littlealexa

I was driving on Cermak the other day and was caught at a red light by the Superblock.  I was just marveling at the significance (from a historical perspective) at the building.  Kinda reminds me a small museum, a stately library or a house for Berwyn's historical society. 

With the empty lot (I'm thinking parking lot), it would have been nice to house a 2 screen movie theater in that building.  I go to the one in LaGrange and the small one in Oak Park (to take the kids).

Any word on its progress? I know the economy is slow, but I was just wondering if they are still working on the building.

I do see progress in CP, which is nice!

Mike Phelan

Quote from: Bonster on July 15, 2010, 02:55:29 PM
Mike, what's with the "your" city, BDC, BHS stuff.  Did you move?
Bonster,

I did move.  I'm living in Texas.  It's refreshing to live in a state that has it's act together.  There's no state income tax here, no tax on groceries.  I'm in Amarillo where the cost of living is about 25% less than Chicago.  The unemployment rate is a little over 5%.  Nice homes are plentiful under 100k, many in the neighborhood of 50k.  I'm really not missing Berwyn at all.  I just wish I didn't still own the real estate I had there.

Mike