News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Garage Door Opener

Started by Nazerac, July 29, 2009, 08:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nazerac

Any recommendations for someone to install a garage door opener?

OakParkSpartan

I've used these guys a couple of times and have been very satisfied.  They show up when they say they are going to, respond quickly (within a couple of hours they were out) and also will make suggestions to reduce future headaches.

AAA Crosstown Garage Door Service Inc
5212 S Archer Ave
Chicago, IL 60632-4702
(773) 284-1100
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

MOMAS2

Call the Garage Door Experts.  As for Mike Kubo, 708-612-6566.  Tell him Mike Phelan referred you.  ;)  You will never use anyone else.  His prices and quality of work cannot be beat.  Let me know how it works out for you.

markweiner

Wm Wood   have used them. 

(708) 675-8337
Garage door sales and service.

Nazerac

Thanks guys.  I had already called Forrest in Cicero for a service/sales call before I posted.  I then called Garage Door and AAA to also get some quotes, however, Forrest came by within a couple hours, fixed the problem, and told me that my 20-30 years opener is still fine, and I really shouldn't buy a new one until the gears get bad in a few more years.  However, I do know that I need a door soon, since mine is so old that it doesn't even have an electronic eye.

Bungalocity

Hey Naz don't mind me asking what the service call was?
My door has been popping up for the last year and I'm sick of it.

The motor is so new I could push the button to sync with my new car, I think
it needs a simple adjustment or alignment, it labors going down. Bearing grease
didn't help either.

I'm tired of timing my 2nd push when it hits the bottom, lol....

Got their #?
"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence and success is sure"...
-Mark Twain

Hogzilla

I used Forrest to install my opener. I had bought it with the intention to install it myself then looked at the hundreds of parts and figured a pro would get it done in a fraction of the time. They did a great job and very reasonably priced. Was worth every penny. I would use them again without hesitation.

I asked if I should replace my springs as preventative, he said don't bother as they were in good shape. Was a first for me. Gave them the option for a sale and they look out for your wallet instead of lining their own. Good folks.
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

Robert Pauly

Bungalo - what do you mean by popping up?  When it goes down, when it hits bottom, it goes back up?

Nazerac

it was $85.  That looks too much if it is an easy fix, or it can be a good deal if they spend a while fixing up your door.

http://www.forestdoor.com/
(708) 652-9405

billyjean

Bungalocity, are you sure it's not the censors at the bottom on each side of the overhead?

Bungalocity

There aren't any sensors!  But the motor is less than 15 years old.
And yep it pops back up , I have to time it and push the button a 2nd time...

Will call them this week, thx!
-Mark Twain

Robert Pauly

Pulled this off the net - don't know if it will help.  I've had to adjust these controls a few times when my door has been acting up.

Most garage door maintenance involves making simple adjustments every few months.

The key to maintaining the proper and safe operation of your garage door is keeping it in adjustment. Most standard openers adjust in similar ways, but make sure to check your owner's manual first before trying any of these adjustments.

Up/down limits
With the door in a closed position, press the open button. If the door does not open completely but opens at least 5 feet, the limit-adjustment screw needs to be turned clockwise. If the door closes partially but not completely, the down-adjustment screw needs to be turned counterclockwise.

Force
If the door reverses when it is closing, first check to make sure that the sensors are not being blocked by anything; if not, increase the down force. If the door does not open at least 5 feet, increase the up force.

Safety reverse
All garage door openers today come with a safety reverse feature to prevent harm to people, pets, and objects that may be in the way when the door is closing. To test this feature, place a 2 by 4 across the garage door's threshold. Press the close button; if the door stops but does not ascend immediately, turn the screw on the down limit clockwise by one-quarter. Then test the safety reverse system again.

Bungalocity

I just had a pretty good and square experience with Forest in Cicero.
Jim set me up with Mike, came over right away this morning, $85
service call and $60 for a new set of 4 bearing pulleys.

Apparently the pulleys hadn't been lubed so they wore and that was the rough
closing and awful noise.  Now it's even like butter! Quiet too.

He didn't adjust any of the buttons or dials, just relocated the plastic
clips that stop the door and a hinge or two so now it stays down.

Money well spent, I'm happy!
-Mark Twain

EC

Mike from Forest Doors is a great guy. If he says it will take him an hour to fix, it takes him an hour, then he apologizes for taking too long!

Tuttles

We had a problem with our garage door.  My husband replaced the opener himself (with his dad's assistance). They also replaced the spring & some rollers.  Needless to say, we still had problems.  Every so often, in the middle of freezing winter, the door would not go up, or it would go up part way & start to go down again.  Someone on the Berwyn Informer site referred us to Stack Builders in La Grange or La Grange Park.  They came out & fixed the problem.  They were very reasonable.  BTW, our door is very old & we have a Forrest sticker on it...so I would say that Forrest's work held out for quite a long time too.