recessed lights/ can lights / pot lights... whatever they're called

Started by Guy_on_Clinton, January 05, 2010, 06:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guy_on_Clinton

anyone have can lights in their front room?  if so, can you post pics...

we're interested in the configuration and functionality.

thanks!
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

n01_important

Stupid fuck

Berwyn Bob

Recessed cans typically aren't used in family/seating rooms. In a residential application you would see them in an entry foyer, laundry room or in a kitchen. You would be better off using lamps or some other version of non-fixed lighting fixtures...IMHO.

-BB

Guy_on_Clinton

believe it or not.... while we were getting ready to break the ceiling, we noticed 5...  yes 5 plastered over electrical boxes covered over by plaster at least 50 years ago on the wall by the fireplace, the wall adjacent to the fireplace, and the wall opposite the fireplace....   with a light switch to boot.....

to make a long story short ... we had the wiring redone and installed 5 sconces....  the electrician said the wires were live inside the walls.....  scary...  but happy that i didn't have to take down the ceiling, and that the job actually was less of a headache.
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

Bungalocity

Thank God you didn't do the cans...that's kinda gypsy-like, or Lakeview-condo-ish.
In the spirit of keeping the house original and correct that was a lucky find!

When you're ready to get some that have historic (with all due respect) heritage there
are a ton of either vintage or repro out there that will do your LR justice.
Hope I'm not being rude but I am an obsessive fundamentalist! ;-)

I have tons of links and leads if you like, you don't have to spend a mint on something from this place:

http://www.rejuvenation.com/fixshowW133/templates/selection.phtml?n=v&custom_code=tw7q&&custom_code=tw7q&newW133[15SHADE]=123SM

If you ever want to swap em out I can wire these things in my sleep...
"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence and success is sure"...
-Mark Twain