News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Front door lock

Started by chandasz, March 26, 2010, 10:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chandasz

Ok- I'm just not good at this stuff....

Our front door lock is not working well-- who can we get to replace it or is it something that we can do ourselves? How much does it cost to replace a door lock?

Sorry-- No one ever taught me how to do anything around a house but I'd like to learn.

AmazonAnne

Chanda

We have a Yale lock on our back door, locks from inside and out, its been on there forever since we moved in and its pretty sturdy..not sure of where to go though, there is a locksmith on Cermak in Westchester, you can google locksmith in Westchester and the place should come up..

dukesdad

Fullmer Locksmith Services Inc
8611 West Cermak Road,
North Riverside, IL 60546-1225
(708) 442-0300‎

Rich is not the cheapest, but does excellent work and knows the old stuff.

J'sMom

Quote from: dukesdad on March 26, 2010, 10:25:43 AM
Fullmer Locksmith Services Inc
8611 West Cermak Road,
North Riverside, IL 60546-1225
(708) 442-0300‎

Rich is not the cheapest, but does excellent work and knows the old stuff.

I recommend Fullmer as well.

EC

Be careful with the locks that take a key at the outside AND inside to unlock. Those are against code. No problem if you're not selling but then you have to replace it when you do sell. They work great in doors with glass windows as long as you have the key near by that way no one can break the window and reach in to unlock it.

AmazonAnne

Actually, when we bought our home this kind of lock was already in place, the previous owners never had to replace it..we shall see it wont be awhile before we move anyway, but good to know..we have our keys right next to the door in case there is an emergency

chandasz

Thanks! I had him out to fix the lock yesterday. I guess it had not been working correctly since we moved in! He fixed it in 10 minutes.

I had NO idea that these old locks were so expensive to replace-- he said to replace something like this could run 300 - 1000.

Whew!

He seemed very appreciative of the positive word of mouth

Bungalocity

A lil' bit of oil goes a long way with this old brass! Get the escutcheons off and get into the workings...
"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence and success is sure"...
-Mark Twain

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Our 100 year old house has the original oak front door with the beveled glass and lock with the brass doorknob and escutcheon still in excellent working order.  A previous owner must have replaced the actual lock mechanism at some point because it takes a more modern style key unlike our bedroom doors upstairs which you can lock with a skeleton key - those are neat.  At some point the front porch was enclosed which probably explains the good condition of the door since it wasn't as exposed to the elements as it would have been.

chandasz

I had to google escutcheon.... LOL

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: chandasz on April 08, 2010, 04:23:52 PM
I had to google escutcheon.... LOL
Don't feel bad, so did I - LOL.  Actually, considering how ornate it is I had a feeling that's what it was when Bungalocity mentioned it.  The previous owners actually made a big deal out of the door and hardware when we bought the house, as if we should be very happy it was still intact.  They actually knew someone who stripped their home of all the brass doorknobs and escutcheons and replaced them with cheap crap before they sold the home.  Now that's bad!

Bungalocity

Escutcheon isn't necessarily that glorious, it can be mighty and majestic as the eastlake plate on your doorknobs, or as meek and humble as the cup on your toilet pipes hahaha.....
-Mark Twain

dukesdad

Another great fairly local resource:

Touch of Beauty Brass
9034 Brookfield Avenue
Brookfield, IL 60513-1635
(708) 387-0360

The guys name is Roger. He has replated several of our door plates and knobs. His place is worth a visit, his real business is making huge chandeliers. Huge as in hotel lobbies and churches. Sometimes there will be one assembled, almost ready to go, unbelievable amount of work in them.

Bungalocity

You mean replated as in...electroplating?  I have some superb pot-metal/tin/cheapo art deco fixtures just sitting
in the basement I got cheap on ebay and then realized how cheap the finish is but they'd look awesome plated...
-Mark Twain

dukesdad

Yes, electroplating. He works kinda goofy hours, usually gets there about 4 and work 'til he feels like stopping. Always call before you go over there.