News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Considering Replacing your original windows?

Started by OakParkSpartan, April 01, 2010, 02:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jake

Great comments on the venting, Bonster.  I think a lot of people get sold on products that really provide no function, like soffit vents that do not have airways up into the actual attic (like you point out).

One thing on the alternative methods you mentioned- on the venting above the gutter lines, can't that result in ice dams forcing water/moisture into the attic?  I know that proper venting is supposed to reduce the ice dams, but I imagine that they can still form under the proper conditions.  Any thoughts?

PS- As you mentioned, if you can afford it, I think closed-cell foam is really the way to go.  It's an air barrier, moisture barrier, and the best R value for the space.  Also, since you insulate against the roof deck, it really frees up your attic space.

dukesdad

Every insulation contractor I have contacted has told me the insulation has to go between the heated and unheated space. Since my attic is unheated, that means between the interior ceiling and the attic floor. Insulating the area between the roof rafters is pointless. Does anyone know anything different?

EC

You are corect. You always insulate the warm side. Insulating the rafters in an attic only insulates the buffer zone between ceiling and roof, but not as effective as insulating the ceiling joist area unless the attic is heated. But then again you usually have to remove the rough flooring in the attic to insulate thae ceiling chase area. A job few want to do.

Robert Pauly

Quote from: dukesdad on April 07, 2010, 01:15:42 PM
Every insulation contractor I have contacted has told me the insulation has to go between the heated and unheated space. Since my attic is unheated, that means between the interior ceiling and the attic floor. Insulating the area between the roof rafters is pointless. Does anyone know anything different?

For an unheated attic, you are correct.  For a heated attic, it has to go between the rafters.

I insulated my unheated attic between the rafters this winter.  My attic temp rarely got below 50, which means that there's a big heat loss through the main floor ceiling, and that the new insulation did its job.

Bungalocity

Quote from: AmazonAnne on April 01, 2010, 03:24:36 PM
Actually, my question to everyone might fall along this topic. We have two sets of french doors in our family room facing the street, they are from the 20's or 30's when the house was built and the paint on them is chipping and flaking quite a bit, my husband was at first going to take them off the hinges to refinish, since we dont want new french doors and there are 12 panes of glass in each, but he is afraid he wont get them back on the hinges plus alot of refinishing has go into them, we wondered if anyone has a recommendation on who or what company can take these down for us and strip the paint and refinish so they look nice again? We definitely want to preserve these doors and the glass.  Thanks!

Sorry I'm so late on this post!
I just did what you want to do, I think it was a lot easier for me as they were in the attic for 50 yrs with a single coat of varnish.
Don't worry about not getting them to fit back.  Reverse engineer to take off and they should go back on the same way.

If the paint isn't too bad, use a pry bar to pull out the moldings and you'll be able to use the original glass lights when you put it back together.
Then when all the hardware is off and it's one piece of wood, transport them to Bermar
Stripping in Tinley Park, I have yet to bring a different door to them but if they can get them clean, you'll have the perfect canvass with which to sand, stain, wipe and oil and get them back up!  Do not replace them. They're more valuable than you realize.
"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence and success is sure"...
-Mark Twain