News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Roof talk

Started by Bonster, April 11, 2010, 02:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

Quote from: jake on April 07, 2010, 08:27:45 AM
Great comments on the venting, Bonster.  I think a lot of people get sold on products that really provide no function, like soffit vents that do not have airways up into the actual attic (like you point out).

One thing on the alternative methods you mentioned- on the venting above the gutter lines, can't that result in ice dams forcing water/moisture into the attic?  I know that proper venting is supposed to reduce the ice dams, but I imagine that they can still form under the proper conditions.  Any thoughts?

PS- As you mentioned, if you can afford it, I think closed-cell foam is really the way to go.  It's an air barrier, moisture barrier, and the best R value for the space.  Also, since you insulate against the roof deck, it really frees up your attic space.

I agree.  I could see heavy snowfall blocking the vents and ice dams following.  When I suggested edge vents to one forward-thinking roofer (who advises using fascia vents) he mentioned exactly that.  They do angle slightly downward, but we all know how quickly snow can pile up on the roof and gutters. 
Here's an example:
http://w203.photobucket.com/flash/tagWidget.swf?mediaURL=aHR0cDovL2kyMDMucGhvdG9idWNrZXQuY29tL2FsYnVtcy9hYTIzOC9tY3JfMzEyL2ZvcnVtL2VkZ2V2ZW50LmpwZw%3D%3D
Two issues with the above: one, with that brand (Air Vent) you can see the openings are not screened, but slotted, thereby allowing wasps and other bugs in.  There are other brands (Smartvent, by DCI) which have a screen type covering over the opening.  Secondly, if you have any accumulation of leaves you could be drawing in a rather nasty smell to your attic.  I was advised these vents can be installed at any point on the roof if that's an issue.

The intake is facilitated by a 1" slot which runs the length of the roof/vent system, about 6 inches up from the vent intake:
http://w203.photobucket.com/flash/tagWidget.swf?mediaURL=aHR0cDovL2kyMDMucGhvdG9idWNrZXQuY29tL2FsYnVtcy9hYTIzOC9tY3JfMzEyL2ZvcnVtL0VkZ2VWZW50SW5zdGFsbC5qcGc%3D

I think it's a sweet idea for drawing intake air, but could certainly succumb to the results of a Chicago area snowstorm.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

About 8 of 11 roofers I inquired with offered the above type vent system.

Bonster

I chose a system sold by Bone Roofing Supply (Narraganset @ the MD-W tracks) called "EZ-Flow" which runs the entire length of the roof.  It attaches to your fascia board, and the gutters attach to it.

This system has the advantage of being immune to snow clogging, and you don't need to cut holes in your soffits for venting.  Plus, it spans the roofline whereas soffit vents may be restricted to the area between the trusses depending on how one's attic is finished.

Ted

Does this solution push the gutters farther away from the roof and side of the house?

If so, is it harder to climb up the ladder to clean the gutters?

Thanks
    Ted

Peridot 16

Any company you can recommend for a flat roof? Need a new one.
Thanks for any help!

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Peridot 16 on May 25, 2010, 07:35:02 PM
Any company you can recommend for a flat roof? Need a new one.
Thanks for any help!

Might try CSR roofing in Oak Park.  They are on Roosevelt just east of OP avenue.  We've used them several times and the work has been very good.  They are a family owned company that has been in business for a long time.  I highly recommend them.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Robert Pauly

I'm having Edge Vent by Air Vent installed as we speak - thanks for the head's-up, Bons, I wouldn't have known about it.  I checked them out at quite a few places - they're becoming quite popular, and none reported any incidence of water back-up or bad odors - and there's a fiberglass netting on the inside to prevent insects from taking up residence in your attic.  Seemed like the best, least invasive course of action to me.  We'll see.

By the way, don't assume that the recent storm damage only occurred to your basement - have your roof checked out.  I started having problems immediately after the June and July storms - my roofer attributed the damage to storms, not wear, and my insurance company agreed.

Bonster

I think the Edge Vents are an excellent solution.
The odor issue for me was more paranoia about gutter backups.  My old ones sagged and always had wet, smelly leaves that I could, at times, smell in the attic thru the large gaps in the old rotted fascia. 

The issue with bugs was for the ridge vents, yet I was informed via email (and subsequently DVD) their new models employ the same fiberglass solution as the edge vents.  Now I wish I had the Air Vent ridge vent!

Robert Pauly

My guy was going to install the mesh type ridge vent until I stopped him - I've got to run back home to make sure he's getting the Air Vent ridge vent.

I pulled one of the Edge Vents apart, and there is a fiberglass screen covering the openings - I hoping that these vents, in addition to the insulation I installed last winter, will prevent the pretty bad ice dam situation I have on the south side (entrance side) of my home.

My tab for the roof (including the garage and vents):  $800.