News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

thinking about home security

Started by Guy_on_Clinton, April 11, 2010, 06:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guy_on_Clinton

any suggestions on the most affordable home alarm systems?

whats the upfront? and monthly? :fiveoh:
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

tlcnurse

We have ADT. They gave us free installation with a 2 years contract. It has been 8 years & we are still paying only 27.99 a month for the monitoring. I know things have went up quite a bit but the 27.99 is cheap & it lowers your home owners insurance cost. Hope the info helps.

Berwnite

For those of you who own dogs, be sure to mention that to your agent. Almost all
insurance firms offer at least a 15% reduction because there is a dog in the house.

Bonster

and another 10% if you have a Berwynite in the house.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

renovatorbear

We have ADT.  I think our monthly is around $39.  We thought that having the ADT sign in front of the house would deter break-ins, but our neighbors who have the ADT sign in front of their house had their door kicked in.  Fortunately, they also had something barring the door from opening.  I can't imagine living in Berwyn without a system anymore.

Bonster

I wouldn't display the type of system for a would be burglar; that only gives them ideas how to disable them.
  Just use generic stickers stating you have a home security/surveillance system.

BRoWN

What about your Neighborhood Crime Watch program?

PamF

Quote from: renovatorbear on April 28, 2010, 01:28:25 PMI can't imagine living in Berwyn without a system anymore.
What a terribly sad statement about Berwyn that is  :'(

Bonster

Quote from: PamF on April 28, 2010, 02:55:07 PM
Quote from: renovatorbear on April 28, 2010, 01:28:25 PMI can't imagine living in Berwyn without a system anymore.
What a terribly sad statement about Berwyn that is  :'(

I can't imagine living anywhere without one now in this economy. 
The house next door to my parents in DuPage was broken into an robbed recently.  Read the Daily Herald and you'll see stories about strings of break-ins in many more well-to-do suburbs...

iamvika

I understand that ADT requires a home line, at least that's what I was told. Is there a security company that doesn't require one?

Bonster

I asked the companies I checked out and was told there are cellular solutions for those without regular telephone service (land lines).

Berwnite

Why cough up $100 or so a month for home security that any
rookie burglar can circumvent in a heartbeat? Utilize basic common
sense to protect your home and you will never have a problem.

~LL~

After we installed motion detection lights on front, side and back of house and on alley side of garage the local baggy-pantzers stopped using the gangway as a short cut and/or a urinal.  Well worth the investment.  As for daytime - yes, just common sense is employed -- lock doors, keep and eye on anyone who may be roaming around that does not seem to belong on the block.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

buzz

Dogs is good !
That is if you have the time to care for them properly.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Bonster

Quote from: Berwynite on April 28, 2010, 05:58:42 PM
Why cough up $100 or so a month for home security that any
rookie burglar can circumvent in a heartbeat? Utilize basic common
sense to protect your home and you will never have a problem.
Who pays $100/mo?

It's for when you're not home, dippity-doo. 
I'd rather have some level of protection over pure silence, giving them all the time in the world to go through your shit. 

Perhaps the best reason though is the fire protection.

Berwnite

Who pays $100/mo?

People who have more than you.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: buzz on April 28, 2010, 07:54:05 PM
Dogs is good !
That is if you have the time to care for them properly.
We have two who definitely bark whenever they hear just about anything outside but sometimes dogs aren't even a deterrent.  When we lived in North Berwyn some friends down the block were broken into and robbed when they were at work.  They had two larger dogs and one, a Visla, started acted very strangely after the robbery.  They took him to the vet and it turned out the robber(s) had conked the dog over the head and he had a concussion.  I'd say that if you can afford it and especially if you're not at home a good amount of the time, a security system certainly makes sense, if for no other reason than your peace of mind.

buzz

Quote from: LL--Schmidt on April 28, 2010, 07:15:16 PM
After we installed motion detection lights on front, side and back of house and on alley side of garage the local baggy-pantzers stopped using the gangway as a short cut and/or a urinal. 

The motion lights I've had on the house for at least 6 yrs. are driving me nuts !
On/off.  On/off.
It's the critters in the area.  Lotsa' possum.
Of course I'm keeping them on because I know they're a good deterrent but this is the 1st year they've ever been so bothersome.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

~LL~

Quote from: buzz on May 11, 2010, 10:12:23 PM
Quote from: LL--Schmidt on April 28, 2010, 07:15:16 PM
After we installed motion detection lights on front, side and back of house and on alley side of garage the local baggy-pantzers stopped using the gangway as a short cut and/or a urinal. 

The motion lights I've had on the house for at least 6 yrs. are driving me nuts !
On/off.  On/off.
It's the critters in the area.  Lotsa' possum.
Of course I'm keeping them on because I know they're a good deterrent but this is the 1st year they've ever been so bothersome.

Yes, Buzz, sometimes the on/off is a nuisance -- but knowing these lights bug the S**t out of low-life neighbors and their numerous 'quick-stop' visitors makes them way less of a nuisance to us.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.