News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Help! Need Recommendations for Interior Drywall Installation

Started by Aubrey312, June 16, 2010, 07:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey312

Hi,

Hoping someone can recommend a good Drywall Company to install drywall in an attic we are finishing.  We've had 3 local companies come out and only 1 is willing to do it, at an inflated price.  The other 2 local companies don't want to deal with the City of Berwyn.  I can't beleive in this economy I can't even give our money away. 

Please if you know of a good company please send me their contact information.  They have to be able to pull a permit through the city.

Thanks in advance!

GarlicQueen

I don't know anyone off hand but I have had a lot of success finding contractors through servicemagic.com....we had our tile floor put in in the basement, concrete patio placed, and had an exterminator recommended from there.....highly recommend that site.

OakParkSpartan

I've heard other trades people make not so complimentary comments about dealing with the city.

Seems like no one at city hall (past or present) can figure out how to provide good service while still following the building code.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

menace2society

Maybe the people at City Hall don't really know the codes?  Maybe the people who deal with permits know what is needed and the contractors don't want to go through the paperwork?  People are looking for work, yet turning jobs down because why?

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: menace2society on June 30, 2010, 09:31:56 PM
Maybe the people at City Hall don't really know the codes?  Maybe the people who deal with permits know what is needed and the contractors don't want to go through the paperwork?  People are looking for work, yet turning jobs down because why?

I don't know.  But the couple of times I've dealt with them have been hit or miss. The guy that works back there was pretty good.  A woman that I dealt with a couple years ago refused to give a straight answer.  Just a very unpleasant experience from a customer perspective.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

menace2society

Are permit prices expensive and is that maybe why a contractor wouldn't want to deal with the city or why they would be inflating their costs to the customer?  I wonder if it's because there are so many people who do this stuff illegally without a permit that the city is more "picky" on whom they issue permits to for the work?  Doesn't a contractor have to be licensed and bonded in Berwyn before a permit is given?

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: menace2society on July 01, 2010, 05:45:43 AM
Are permit prices expensive and is that maybe why a contractor wouldn't want to deal with the city or why they would be inflating their costs to the customer?  I wonder if it's because there are so many people who do this stuff illegally without a permit that the city is more "picky" on whom they issue permits to for the work?  Doesn't a contractor have to be licensed and bonded in Berwyn before a permit is given?

My understanding is the fees and bonds in Berwyn are no different than other communities.  I've been told it is a people problem...contractors find our city employees especially unpleasant to deal with. 

The city in general seems to devote more energy to making things unpleasant for those who follow the rules vs those who don't.  Remember Bear getting a "blight" ticket for a small patch of peeling paint?  Stupid.  Yet the Beauty School at Home and Cermak have had a broken sign for oh...6+ years. 

Screwball

I would call B.L.S. Development, they are out of the Berwyn area and are general contractors.  They can get the job done.  They recently did post flood work for my mother's home.  708/698-0774

Aubrey312

Thank you for the great recommendations.  Last week I posted my job on servicemagic.com and received 4 calls almost immediately.  However, 2 of the companies I scared away right off the bat, when I told them I lived in Berwyn and that they would have to pull a permit. 

I've come to find out the apprehension of some contractors in dealing with the city of Berwyn. 

#1- They have to have a current annual license and bond for the city.  This costs them $200.  So on larger jobs I'm sure they build this into the price, but on smaller jobs say $500 or less jobs that's harder to do.

#2 - It seems the city wants a drawing now for everything.  These are construction workers, not Architects.  We already had 2 drawings on file:  one for electrical and one for HVAC and now they want a drawing for drywall.  Seems a bit over the top.

I would definately recommend servicemagic.  The company we chose has excellent customer reviews and their quote is 1/2 the price we received from a local business and they had no trouble doing a drawing. 
I would have preferred to use a Berwyn Business but of the three I called only one was willing to take the job at a very inflated price.