COW & Council - November 28, 2006

Started by scoon, November 28, 2006, 04:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoon

As I mentioned elsewhere...  I probably won't be making it tonite.  Any notes would be appreciated from those of you that do go.

A few items of interest:

5. LOVERO-CENSOR ALDERMANIC COMMUNICATIONS

Hopefully that means the BS coming from the 8th ward.

6. ORD/RESOL COMM-HOURS OF OPRATION FOR LIQUOR-STAY IN COMMITTEE

This ord is being tabled indefinately.  Mark Weiner explains further in his 11/25 third ward blog post:  http://marksthirdward.blogspot.com/  (Worth a read.)  What Erickson won't do out of spite.

... yeah, I'm going to rush right over there to watch this crap.

AGENDA
ROLL CALL
(A) PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE - MOMENT OF SILENCE
(B) OPEN FORUM - (TOPIC MUST NOT BE ON THE AGENDA)
(C) PRESENTATION OF PREVIOUS MEETINGS MINUTES FOR APPROVAL
1. MIN. REG. MTG. 11/14/06-SPEC COUNCIL MTG-11/8/06
(D) BID OPENING - TABULATIONS
(E) BERWYN DEVELOPMENT CORP.-BERWYN TOWNSHIP/HEALTH DISTRICT
(F) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE MAYOR
1. DEFER- HOURS OF OPERATIONS FOR LIQUOR
2. INTERIM FINANCE DIRECTOR
3. APPT FINANCE DIRECTOR
4. APPT-CITY ATTORNEY
5. ORD-RENEW ASSISTANT CITY ATTORNEY POSITON
6. AMEND ORDINANCE 242.03-APPT OFFICERS-APPT PROCEDURES
7. TAX LEVY-2006
(G) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE CITY CLERK
1. SUBMISSION OF AGENDA ITEMS
(H) COMMUNICATIONS FROM ( ZONING) BOARD OF APPEALS
1. DEFER-RESOL-JOSEF SOBCZAK-6448 W. 26TH PL
(I) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM ALDERMEN, COMMITTEES OTHER BOARDS
AND COMMISSIONS
1. DEFER-F&P COMMITTEE-PAY SCALE FOR AUXILIARY & OTHERS
2. CHAPMAN-CITY OF BERWYN LEGAL REPRESENTATION CHANGE
3. CHAPMAN-CHANGE TO THE FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS 2006
4. SKRYD-ORD-HISTORIC PRESERVATION
5. LOVERO-CENSOR ALDERMANIC COMMUNICATIONS
6. ORD/RESOL COMM-HOURS OF OPRATION FOR LIQUOR-STAY IN COMMITTEE
7. ORD/RESOL COMM- ORD-GANG LOITERING
8. BUDGET COMM-PAYROLL-11/15/06-$870.406.71
) 9. BUDGET COMM-PAYABLES-11/27/06-$5,831,280.58
10. BUDGET COMM-MID YEAR ADJUSTMENTS
(J) STAFF REPORTS
1. DEFER-BPD-HANDICAPPED SIGN-ERVIN MILLER-1426 GROVE #1
2. DEFER-BPD-HANDICAPPED SIGN-GUY CARBONARO-1946 EUCLID
3. LAW DEPT-(CGI) & CITY-SETTLEMENT AGREEMT & RELEASE
4. LAW DEPT-CELL TOWER LEASE
5. POLICE CHIEF-TRAFFIC/RED LIGHT STUDY-PROPOSED AGREEMENT
6. DIR COMPUTER SERVICES-FIBER OPTIC INFRASTRUCTURE-STAGE II
7. DIR PUB WKS-ALLEYS BEHIND 28TH ST AND 28TH PL PLAT OF DEDICATION
8 DIR PUB WKS-WAIVER OF BIDDING & APPROVAL OF HOLDIAY DECORATIONS
9. DIR PUB WKS-TRAFFIC ENGINEERING
10. DIR PUB WKS-PROVISIONAL CONTRACT FOR ICE & SNOW REMOVAL
11. DIR PUB WKS-CHANGE ORDER CDBG SIDEWALK PROGRAM
12. BPD- RESOL-B.A.D.G.E. GRANT

TyRy

Quote from: scoon on November 28, 2006, 04:49:58 PM
This ord is being tabled indefinately.  Mark Weiner explains further in his 11/25 third ward blog post:  http://marksthirdward.blogspot.com/  (Worth a read.)  What Erickson won't do out of spite.

Sorry didn't have a chance to go either.  One question though - does anyone remember the thread someone posted about Erickson yapping about a recall election for the mayor?  As a resident of the 8th ward, can we please please have one Capt. Chaos...my pup could do a better job!

I also noticed on the agenda the item about loitering and that it's going to the O&R Committee - anyone else think with Capt. Chaos this will never see the light of day either?

Ty

OakParkSpartan

Bobby will get it out.

Tonight was not an inspiring meeting.

I'll recap tomorrow maybe.

Lot's of back and forth.

Erickson talking on the phone during the meeting while sitting at his spot.  What an  idiot.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

"Erickson talking on the phone during the meeting while sitting at his spot.  What an  idiot."

That chafes my rear.
I don't like hecklers, like the one described a few meetings ago, but I'd've been removed for telling his ass to drop the call.

What garbage.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

tgoddess

Disrepectful and RUDE.

Do you think he's just counting the minutes he has left before he's booted out? 

Wow.
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Ana

During the meeting, couldn't someone have asked him to put the phone away?  Do the new and revised Roberts Rules of Order state anything about cell phones or electronic devices?  The citizens at the meeting have enough etiquette to turn off their cell phones, shouldn't he?  Is Erickson representative of the level of etiquette and education of the majority of citizens that live in our City?  The Mayor is still OUR Mayor -- "a drop of honey catches more flies than a gallon of gall."

When the conduct of men is designed to be influenced, persuasion, kind unassuming persuasion, should ever be adopted. It is an old and true maxim that 'a drop of honey catches more flies than a gallon of gall.' So with men. If you would win a man to your cause, first convince him that you are his sincere friend. Therein is a drop of honey that catches his heart, which, say what he will, is the great highroad to his reason, and which, once gained, you will find but little trouble in convincing him of the justice of your cause, if indeed that cause is really a good one.
Abraham Lincoln
16th president of US (1809 - 1865)
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Bonster

Quote from: Ana on November 29, 2006, 10:52:33 AM
  Is Erickson representative of the level of etiquette and education of the majority of citizens that live in our City? 

LOL!!!!
yes, he represents the 8th Ward well!
All he needs is a hat with a glittery marijuana leaf tilted to the side and baggy pants.  Or does he don that, too?

Count DMC

What of this Provisional Contract for Ice and Snow Removal? Is there some unhappiness with PW in regards to their lack of a contract and negotiations going nowhere for 15mths? The Police and fire got great deals but nothing for those guys? Good work Mayor!!
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

markweiner

Hey Count. Get your facts straight.  Talk to your friends at PW.  All the City is doing is protecting the citizens; just in case.  Of course, if that was not done, then you would give shit for not having a "just in case" plan.

The negotations do not simply fall on the Mayor. I know you would like that.  The negotiations fall on the entire City Council; yes, from some of your Aldermanic friends. So please, if you criticize the Mayor on this one, at least criticize the entire City Council, or certain members. I really could care less.

Spew all you want. 

Mark

Count DMC

Mark,
Thanks for sharing. It is so rare that any of the alderpeople grace us with their presence.
I do not think I put forth any facts, I think I asked a few questions.

Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

markweiner

Not a problem Count.  You know I am always here; not lurking, but have to watch what I write.

Mark

Bonster

Quote from: markweiner on November 29, 2006, 05:28:37 PM
Not a problem Count.  You know I am always here; not lurking, but have to watch what I write.

Mark

« Last Edit: Today at 05:30:19 PM by markweiner »

LOL.

Count DMC

Mark,
You are most gracious sir, and one of the most level headed and common sensed of the new. My quarry is not with you at all, rather with the obstinate Council members and log jammers that seem to fill City Hall these days.

Berwyn Patsy

Correct me, if I am wrong, but I can't seem to figure this one out. 
Right after the election the newly elected Mayor, eliminated the position of assistant city attorney, thus leaving Tony Burtucca only in the position of our city adjudicator.  I think the Mayor thought we could save some money by eliminating the city attorney position. Was that a full or part time position??
Now the Mayor has brought back this position, part time 20 hours a week, with full health insurance benefits, although Tony Burtucca is responsible for 1/2 the premium??
How many attorneys does the city have working  and how many do we really need??
I admit I was not at the council meeting last night, so all that I just stated could be hearsay.  Anyone??

Berwyn Patsy

What's with PW possibly thinking about striking?   30 years I have lived in this city, saw 3 Mayors run the city, never saw a strike of any kind ever even being considered!  What reasons would they be striking for?

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on November 29, 2006, 07:42:41 PM
Correct me, if I am wrong, but I can't seem to figure this one out. 
Right after the election the newly elected Mayor, eliminated the position of assistant city attorney, thus leaving Tony Burtucca only in the position of our city adjudicator.  I think the Mayor thought we could save some money by eliminating the city attorney position. Was that a full or part time position??
Now the Mayor has brought back this position, part time 20 hours a week, with full health insurance benefits, although Tony Burtucca is responsible for 1/2 the premium??
How many attorneys does the city have working  and how many do we really need??
I admit I was not at the council meeting last night, so all that I just stated could be hearsay.  Anyone??

What was  bad  is now good I guess...I haven't spoken to ANYONE who really understands why this is being done.  Regarding health insurance, yes, I think that  is roughly correct.    I don't recall the  exact amount, but he isn't getting it paid by the  city.

He appointed a new  city attorney last  night aka  city manager/administrator.  Sterk and Odelson (sp) are  still the LEGAL COUNCIL for the city (much was made about LEGAL COUNCIL being in all caps, so I figured I continue the tradition).   The  new city attorney is apparently new to the bar,  but has been a city  manager in other communities.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Berwyn Patsy

I am sure that if no one knows anything about why the position of assistant city attorney was eliminated and then reinstated
means they do not want any one to know, and that just makes every one all the more curious.
I remember that the Mayor was adamant in in the elimination of this position at the time.  Why the sudden change?
What happen to the concept of open government?  Really makes a voter sit up and wonder.
"What was bad is now good", seems to be heard a lot these days.
Does any one think the newly appointed city attorney, could be the eventually new city manager? 
This may turn out to be the only good thing that happened at the council meeting.

Ana

Well, if it is going to be in caps then maybe we should use the correct legal counsel.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

OakParkSpartan

That might be  my typo.   But we'll never know since the  general public isn't privileged to see the communications. (unless you  FOIA them).  Open Government...right......

Berwyn Patsy

Oh, one more question, what was the banner issue all about?
Seems I remember something a long time ago, when everyone was arguing about the color purple.  I thought the city had contracted with some company from New York?