Budget Committee Meeting 12/5/2006

Started by OakParkSpartan, December 05, 2006, 10:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakParkSpartan

Cancelled.

Weren't they going to discuss the amount of the tax increase to be put forth at next Tuesday's public hearing?

I am in favor of increasing the revenue for the city (aka taxes).  We could spend  money on  many worthwhile causes.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Ted

Doesn't next year's budget have to be approved by December 31??  And, doesn't there have to be a public hearing on the budget before it can get voted on and approved?

It seems like Berwyn has been missing that date (December 31) forever in getting its budget approved.

OakParkSpartan

I think you are right.  They've extended until like March 31  in the past, if I recall.   

I don't know if you need a public hearing for the budget.   I do know there is one scheduled for the tax increase.   Wonder what amount  that will be, and  when  it  was voted  on?  It wasn't at the last council meeting.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

scoon

Granted this is Berwyn, but wouldn't you want to propose a tax increase to the public at the hearing Before voting on it?

OakParkSpartan

I think at the last one they voted to say 5%, which is the cap...forget  the exact details...so they will probably vote on something 0  <x <5%.   From the sounds of it, we  need the revenue, so I am in favor of the 5%.   If we don't need the additional revenue, then add  a couple of Police Officers.

Cheers,
Brian

Count DMC

At what point do we stop adding Police Officers and make due with what we have? I believe with the amount of days off those guys have you will never have enough cops on the street.
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

OakParkSpartan

Shall  we discuss the number of  days PW employees are reported to have off?

How many vacation days are they permitted in their current contract?

Cheers,
Brian

Count DMC

Ill let Sam Canino field that one, as he is an employee. But I will tell you this much the Police Dept got what amounts to an extra 15 days off by switching to the work schedule they now have.

I do know that PW vacation days have to be used or they are lost, they are not allowed to carry over nor are they paid for them, like the police.

Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

OakParkSpartan

Somehow I think the police and fire departments are a little more stresful jobs than what we'd find at PW.

But I am still curious how many vacation days they get at PW.  Oh, and for most folks in the private sector, not rolling over vacation days is the norm.  No reason to act as though it is a great sacrifice.

Cheers,
Brian

Count DMC

I didn't think I implied that it was a great sacrifice Brian, I pointed out a major difference between the two Depts and their vacation day policies.

Berwyn Patsy

So, let's all guess what the negotiations are in the PW dept contract that's being held up?  I gotta agree with Brian's thoughts on this one!!

Sam Canino

Brian,
   To your question about PW vacation. Per the 2005 union contract
1 to 4 years of service is 2 weeks ////////   The start of the 5th year to the 10th year is 3 weeks
The start of the 10th year to the 15th year is 4 weeks.Out of line?  not really. When I worked for
the Dealerships we got 3 weeks after 5 years of service.How long have you been at you job?
Maybe a little incentive to stay on the job. Compare Public works stress to Police and Fire.. NO WAY
You can go 65 ft up in a bucket to cut a tree or 12ft down in a hole to repair a main break or even drive a Dump truck with a 10ft plow down the Berwyn side street,is better than walking up to a stopped car wondering who is inside or going into a burning bldg wondering if you are going to walk out again.You can't compare the jobs and I don't think that the Count WAS comparing jobs just contracts.

Count DMC

QuoteSo, let's all guess what the negotiations are in the PW dept contract that's being held up?  I gotta agree with Brian's thoughts on this one!!

I think that's the only thing that is not an issue with their contract. So you get no prize for that guess. And I don't know what thoughts you were agreeing to, could you be more specific?

Berwyn Patsy

I don't feel like being specific to you Count, maybe later.

OakParkSpartan

Sam,

Those vacation figures are very much in line with corporate america.  As a matter of fact, I think that is the exact same schedule I am on...no, we  get 4 weeks after 10 years.  Just changed that.  Not sure what new hires are getting these days.

Ignore my question  on the other thread, I hadn't seen your response here.

Cheers,
Brian

TyRy

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on December 06, 2006, 06:47:34 PM
Sam,

Those vacation figures are very much in line with corporate america.  As a matter of fact, I think that is the exact same schedule I am on...no, we  get 4 weeks after 10 years.  Just changed that.  Not sure what new hires are getting these days.

Ignore my question  on the other thread, I hadn't seen your response here.

Cheers,
Brian

That's exactly what I was thinking  - our vacation allowance at work is exactly the same as PW and I'm with a big corporate company. 

Count DMC

QuoteI don't feel like being specific to you Count, maybe later.

Then your past comment was to what, make Brian feel better or try to ingratiate yourself with him? You would have been better off yelling that out the window, would have made just as much sense.

OakParkSpartan

Yes, Patsy just earned  brownie points with me.  That and $.75 will  get her a  donut at Dunkin donuts.

Cheers,
Brian

scoon

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on December 06, 2006, 06:47:34 PM
Not sure what new hires are getting these days.

Many companies are starting out with 3 weeks...  since companies started laying people off, there is no such thing as loyalty or staying with a company for 10 years.  Ok, there is, but it's rare.

renovatorbear

The big corporation I work for gives us the same vacation structure that Sam pointed out.  And we have to use them or lose them.  That much sounds fairly standard to me.